Thick soy sauce?

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
a sushi restaurant had thick soy sauce. it was delicious.
I asked them what kind of soy sauce it was and they said it was Tamari.

so I bought this bottle:
San-J-Tamari-Black-Label-Soy-Sauce-Gluten-Free-075810021255.jpg

nope.. not the same.
it wasn't thick at all. it seemed the same as regular Kikoman soy sauce.
mg4101-soy-sauce-web.jpg

So anyone know what kind of thick soy sauce is served at sushi restaurants?
(Maybe the organic Tamari soy sauce??)

Last edited:

PhoKingGuy

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2007
This came to mind immediately, not sure if its what you had though because "thick soy sauce" to my knowledge is more of a chinese thing.

IMG_8125%5B4%5D.jpg

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
probably reduce it themselves. one place in town does so with dried mushrooms in it to up the umami even more.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
When I used to live in Hawaii was pretty much SOP to mix Soy with Chinese Mustard about 50/50 for dipping.

I still do it with egg rolls etc.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Asian Mangoes are much tastier than American or Mexican mangoes.

I asked the local Thai restaurant where they got their mangoes.
They lied.
I ate gross mangoes.
Am on my own.

I guess you are too.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Tamari is a Japanese form of soy sauce, made as a byproduct of miso paste. Unlike Chinese soy sauce like the Kikkoman it is not fermented with wheat.
More then likely what you had was a dipping sauce made with Tamari, Wasabi, and rice wine, that has been reduced. Or if it might have been Ume Warishita, which is made from pickled plums.

RelaxTheMind

Platinum Member
Oct 15, 2002
i use eel sauce. not sure of the brand as i usually pick a bottle that looks the coolest at the local international market.

Chocu1a

Golden Member
Jun 24, 2009
Eel sauce(unagi sauce) is what you want. I make sushi and use this thicker and sweeter sauce on lots of items.

Imported

Lifer
Sep 2, 2000
If it was on the sushi.. probably the unagi sauce. Otherwise the only off the shelf thick soy sauce I know is the sweet variety.

disappoint

Lifer
Dec 7, 2009
The best soy sauce I've ever tasted was House of Tsang. It's not any thicker than regular it's just delicious.

00614full.jpg

Last edited:

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
Dark Chinese soy sauce, I find, is way thicker than the regular stuff. I hate it. No clue on Japanese stuff.

Jeeebus

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006
Asian Mangoes are much tastier than American or Mexican mangoes.

I asked the local Thai restaurant where they got their mangoes.
They lied.
I ate gross mangoes.
Am on my own.

I guess you are too.

You cray cray. Florida mangoes are teh awesome. Anything you buy at the grocery store is disgusting filth from south or central America. Flavorless, irradiated, and picked several weeks too early. I would never eat mangoes if that was my first experience.

We have about 13 varieties growing in the yard. All of them infinitely better than grocery store trash.

/end mango snob

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
You cray cray. Florida mangoes are teh awesome. Anything you buy at the grocery store is disgusting filth from south or central America. Flavorless, irradiated, and picked several weeks too early. I would never eat mangoes if that was my first experience.

We have about 13 varieties growing in the yard. All of them infinitely better than grocery store trash.

/end mango snob

My daughter's first mango made her cry :^D

She sat down to eat it, and it was a fuckin' disaster. She had a hard time getting to the inside, and it turned into a mangled slimy mess, so she got frustrated, and started crying :^D

Jeeebus

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006
My daughter's first mango made her cry :^D

She sat down to eat it, and it was a fuckin' disaster. She had a hard time getting to the inside, and it turned into a mangled slimy mess, so she got frustrated, and started crying :^D

Like a boss:

6zL1d3b.gif

There's also Alton Brown's method...

Given that I eat about 3 per day during the summer, it's easy enough for me to just peel the skin off with a knife and then slice it up. I use a shitty disposable plastic knife at work, and that works just fine too.