They obviously don't want us here

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: alchemize
I would say that quoting a soldiers death to make political points is tanatamount to cheering for their deaths.
Well if you were grasping at straws to justify your support for Bushes deceit then I can see why you would think so

I would also say that wishing ill will on international support (i.e. the "Bush started it let him finish it") is even more tantamout to cheering on American deaths.
Again you fail to make a case for it, you just proclaim it and expect others to except it as fact.

Lastly, there are direct examples of people cheering deaths of Haliburton employees/subcontractors.
Anybody cheering the deaths of anybody is whacked (well except the deaths of the enemy combatants)

Nov 16, 2003
I would say that quoting a soldiers death to make political points is tanatamount to cheering for their deaths. There are endless anti-war threads to post in.

I would also say that wishing ill will on international support (i.e. the "Bush started it let him finish it") is even more tantamout to cheering on American deaths.

Lastly, there are direct examples of people cheering deaths of Haliburton employees/subcontractors.

The anti-war crowd was mocked, laughed at, and ignored during and before the war. It is not unusual that some may be bitter from this and actually be glad that the US is failing. They feel that if the US is a complete success in Iraq, it will be justification for similar actions in the future and all future war mongers can point to this action to shut them up.

It is ironic that the terrorist attacks united american, but the administrations war has divided it.

VioletAura , you have just earned yourself a lifetime ban for coming back under another name.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
I would say that quoting a soldiers death to make political points is tanatamount to cheering for their deaths. There are endless anti-war threads to post in.

A nice case for muzzling the media and/or this forum. The mere mention of anything negative related to Iraq or the administration is effectively cheering on American deaths? I'm glad you don't make the rules.

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
I would say that quoting a soldiers death to make political points is tanatamount to cheering for their deaths.
Well if you were grasping at straws to justify your support for Bushes deceit then I can see why you would think so

Again you fail to make a case for it, you just proclaim it and expect others to except it as fact.

Anybody cheering the deaths of anybody is whacked (well except the deaths of the enemy combatants)

OK, Try this for #2. Allow me to present a theory.

a) With the added presence of additional international troops (especially Muslim), the more likely security would be established and less US soldiers would die.
b) With the added international assistance, reconstruction can acclerate, and less US soldiers would die, as they could be pulled out sooner.

Therefore, not wanting a or b to occur, means you are preferring the option of deaths of US troops.

How's that for a case?

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001

OK, Try this for #2. Allow me to present a theory.

a) With the added presence of additional international troops (especially Muslim), the more likely security would be established and less US soldiers would die.
b) With the added international assistance, reconstruction can acclerate, and less US soldiers would die, as they could be pulled out sooner.

Therefore, not wanting a or b to occur, means you are preferring the option of deaths of US troops.

How's that for a case?
Great but the case you made was against those who don't want UN assistance. I think most of us who are critical of the way this war/occupation is being run agree with you. This isn't about American business interests, it's about having a secure region in the ME (at least now it is) and the only way we can do that and decrease the danger to our own soldiers is to get the UN or Nato involved with the Peace Keeping and the "Nation" building there.

BTW, I supported the Invasion and Occupation when it was believed that Iraq had vast Stockpiles of WMDs, A Nuclear Weapons Program and direct ties to Al Qaeda. So for the only thing I have seen born out is a report on Fox linking Al Qaeda with Iraq.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: tnitsuj
Originally posted by: CADkindaGUY
CkG
Come on, after misleading the American Public you don't think that complaining about the Neo Cons Foriegn Policy is justified? Surely they knew that they would run the risk of criticism when they did that, now is it their objective to label those who fairly criticize them as Traitors?

Traitors? who said anything about that? Criticism is fine, but there is a fine line between harsh criticism of someone and cheering/hoping for their defeat.

CkG

And where that line is depends on your original view of the issue obviously.[/quote]

Not necessarily. I will never have a problem with dissent or someone who believes different than me, but I do have a problem when people are taking every incident they can and using it to cheer for their Partisan politics.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Millennium
Originally posted by: tnitsuj
CkG
Come on, after misleading the American Public you don't think that complaining about the Neo Cons Foriegn Policy is justified? Surely they knew that they would run the risk of criticism when they did that, now is it their objective to label those who fairly criticize them as Traitors?

Traitors? who said anything about that? Criticism is fine, but there is a fine line between harsh criticism of someone and cheering/hoping for their defeat.

CkG

And where that line is depends on your original view of the issue obviously.

Not necessarily. I will never have a problem with dissent or someone who believes different than me, but I do have a problem when people are taking every incident they can and using it to cheer for their Partisan politics.[/quote]
So as long as they don't mention a Political Party you are ok with the criticism? Remember the Democrats went right along with the Republicans regarding this action so they are partially to blame too.

calbear2000

Golden Member
Oct 17, 2001

Just because this is the way you would think if you were anti-war... doesn't mean others have the same sick agenda.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
So as long as they don't mention a Political Party you are ok with the criticism? Remember the Democrats went right along with the Republicans regarding this action so they are partially to blame too.

No, I'm talking about how people will take a negative event and then basically cheer for more like it. Someone doesn't have to come out and say something like: if more soldiers die and this turns into Vietnam I will be right. It is implied Red. My statement was hyperbole, but there are those here that do wish for more deaths.

calbear2000

Golden Member
Oct 17, 2001

No, I'm talking about how people will take a negative event and then basically cheer for more like it. Someone doesn't have to come out and say something like: if more soldiers die and this turns into Vietnam I will be right. It is implied Red. My statement was hyperbole, but there are those here that do wish for more deaths.

You claimed there were many... who besides the 2 you alleged wish for more American deaths?

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: calbear2000

You claimed there were many... who besides the 2 you alleged wish for more American deaths?

I thought you had a college degree?

calbear2000

Golden Member
Oct 17, 2001

Apparently you don't

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

Apparently you don't

*sigh* What is it that you want? You want me to say I know you are, but what am I? Can you stop the childish antics please?

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Mill, maybe if you would knock off the Hyperbole and just post seriously you wouldn't find yourself in such pissing contests.

calbear2000

Golden Member
Oct 17, 2001

Apparently you don't

*sigh* What is it that you want? You want me to say I know you are, but what am I? Can you stop the childish antics please?

How about apologizing for your retarded comment instead of the usual games you play in OT?

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Mill, maybe if you would knock off the Hyperbole and just post seriously you wouldn't find yourself in such pissing contests.

Maybe so.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

Apparently you don't

How about apologizing for your retarded comment instead of the usual games you play in OT?

Calbear, there is a reason you have been blocked from sending me PMs for months now.

Gaard

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
CkG

CkG[/quote]

There is? Seems to me that's a pretty big difference and the line would be quite large. Maybe I'm just not understanding you very well, but it seems like you're saying "Watch it! Be careful of your criticism because it's dangerously close to cheering/hoping for our defeat".

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Gaard
CkG

CkG

There is? Seems to me that's a pretty big difference and the line would be quite large. Maybe I'm just not understanding you very well, but it seems like you're saying "Watch it! Be careful of your criticism because it's dangerously close to cheering/hoping for our defeat".[/quote]

I understand perfectly what he is saying. Sometimes people go negative and want to prove their point so badly, that they forget about the big picture and start "wishing" that they had more ammunition for their side.

Gaard

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
CkG

CkG

There is? Seems to me that's a pretty big difference and the line would be quite large. Maybe I'm just not understanding you very well, but it seems like you're saying "Watch it! Be careful of your criticism because it's dangerously close to cheering/hoping for our defeat".

I understand perfectly what he is saying. Sometimes people go negative and want to prove their point so badly, that they forget about the big picture and start "wishing" that they had more ammunition for their side.[/quote]

IMO, you could also associate some of the 'positive' threads/posts with the bolded part of your sentence. Agree?

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
CkG

CkG

I understand perfectly what he is saying. Sometimes people go negative and want to prove their point so badly, that they forget about the big picture and start "wishing" that they had more ammunition for their side.[/quote]
Well the problem is that most of what Dubya said were the reasons for going to war havn't been born out and the reception as Liberators has yet to materialize or at least be sustained and it's costing us American Servicemens lives daily. Now IMO it seems that the blood of these Servicemen is directly on Bush and the Neo Cons in Charges hands and trying to pin this on those who criticize this Administration is just a sick spinning of the truth.

That said I wish they had found the Stockpiules of the WMDs, a Nuclear Weapo9ns Program well underway and direct links to terrorism in the US then I wouldn't have felt so foolish for supporting this invasion and occupation. Yes I was for it so in a way I am partially to blame and it really irks me that I am a party to whats going on their even if I was duped like many other Americans were by the Neocons.