Thermaltake Water 2.0 Extreme Vs Corsair H100i

Z15CAM

Platinum Member
Nov 20, 2010
www.flickr.com
Doing a build: ASUS P8Z68-V Pro GEN3 / i7 2700k

Planning to run it at 4.5G's 24/7; however, wanting to play with it at over 5G's - Which H2O cooler? The tried and trued Thermaltake Water 2.0 Extreme or newer Corsair H100i.

I've read that the Corsair H100i still has problems with Pump Rattle which can be fixed with a Resistor in the 12v Power lead to lower Voltage. It has new flexible hoses with a manual fan control on the pump Vs Thermaltake's USB Fan Control Software.

Input from Anyone with experience on these products will be appreciated. They are priced somewhat similar - Then there is the Nzxt Kraken X60.

What do you think?

Last edited:

crazymonkeyzero

Feb 25, 2012
Based on what I hear on the interwebz, corsair h100i is indeed having some issues which need to be worked out. So for now I think it's best you avoid it until corsair addresses this (this will probably take months....) The thermaltake fan software is quiet good, better than corsair link, and the thick radiator will give you better cooling. The only thing corsair has going for them is that 5 year warranty (thermaltake gives like 2? years I believe). So if you want the best AIO go for the thermaltake. But make sure you have enough clearance in your case.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
betting on thermaltake is like playing russian roulette when it comes to watercooling.

Z15CAM

Platinum Member
Nov 20, 2010
www.flickr.com
I've been doing more research on the issue, with your help - THANKS, and here is my UpDate:

Thermaltake Water 2.0 Extreme Vs Corsair H100i

Thermaltake Water 2.0 Extreme

NCIX 102.65 with Mail Rebate
NewEgg.ca 133.00 STD Price
2 yr Warranty
Round Pump Not too Attractive
Larger Rad - Better Cooling
Passive Mode - Very Quiet

Corsair H100i

NCIX 119.99 STD Price
NewEgg.ca 113.00 STD Price
5 Yr Warranty
Love the Square PUMP
Smaller Rad - Less Cooling
No Passive Mode & somewhat Noisy - (Change out Fans?)
Requires latest Firmware to quiet Low Speed Fan Rattle.
Pump Rattle has apparently been Fixed with the H80i & H100i.

CONCLUSION: Although the Thermaltake Water 2.0 Extreme appears to be the most efficient cooler buy a few degrees, I'm leaning toward the Corsair H100i because of the 5 yr Warranty.

NOTES:

If I had the HOTTER running Clock/Frequency i7 3770K, IB OC'd over 4.4G's, I would choose the Thermaltake Water 2.0 Extreme but the Cooler running SB i7 2700k, per clock, has been reported at Max Load over 5.2G's with Temps under 80C using a Corsair H100 and the H100i is somewhat better. Personally I want an average Load Temp under 50C with CPU Clocked at 5G's running Windows 24/7 for 10 years, by then I'll be incinerated. You don't want to know the Platform I'm UpGrading from but she's a OC'g Classic and runs Win7 SP1, 32 Bit Ultimate without a HIC!

Reports are: Corsair Support is Better then Thermaltake.

My build Platform: ASUS P8Z68-V Pro Gen3/i7 2700k/Samsung Green DDR3L MV-3V4G3D-US (4X4) 16GB - I've already invested $518 including Tax plus Shipping and hopping to complete the build for under $1000 by Spring ;o)

What's left: a Warrior Corsair HX750 or Seasonic X750 upgraded to an X760 PSU, Closed Loop CPU Water Cooler, 128MB SSD (looking at Samsung 830, Samsung 840 Pro and the OCZ Vector Barefoot Indlinix), very interesting, 2x's 1T 7200rpm 64MB HDD's in Raid 0, perhaps 2 WD RE4's. Wanting Deals after Xmas.

I have an old EVGA GeForce GTX 280 (Power Eating Monster), PCIe Hauppauge 1250 TV Capture Card, a great Pioneer DVD/CDRom Burner, 120MB 7200rpm WD Drive for BackUp for: Win Installation, DOS Ghost Imaging and App SetUps. Wanting a couple USB Flash Transport Devices - One Specific for Win Installation, DOS Ghost Imaging and App SetUps.

I'm mostly into Video. I Capture, Rip, Edit and Encode Video or Audio for whatever Hardware I have. I mostly use Free GNU Apps Coded by you and I to build a Media Studio to Encode High-Compression VBR AVMedia MP4 X264/HE-ACC.MKV Flics for my personal use. MeGUI and FFmPeg are just 2 of my Favorites. I would love to have these programs run in the back ground 24/7 without interfering with my Daily PC activities. I do Game but it's not my Interest.

From a Canadian prospective, I'm MUST say, AMAZON is Stupid. They do NOT abide by the North American Free Trade Act as they will not accept Canadian e-Banking and are a useless OnLine Merchant for me.

Last edited: