Question thermal paste

Feb 4, 2009
Don’t think it matters that much unless you go to the liquid metals which are a while new subject.

I think all major brands perform very similar provided you are not going for maximum over clock benchmarks.

There was an article a few years ago where they tested a bunch of thermal compounds and a few oddball things like toothpaste and bengay or something. All performed similar and the oddballs even worked far better than expected.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
The one you find on sale for lowest cost at quantity you're going to use in a reasonable amount of time, that's not as long term unstable as the basic zinc oxide in silicone oil, unless you rebuild every year or two then even that might last long enough.

You'll get as much benefit out of lapping the CPU and heatsink, which are free (if you have the right sandpaper) as settling for some exotic goop. I know lapping is so old school and actually moving one's arms to do something is hard to imagine, but I once even did this on a heat-spreader-less (exposed die) Athlon XP and heatsink and tested running it WITHOUT any heatsink grease.

At the same time I can appreciate a hobby where some slightly smaller number feels like an accomplishment, and yet, spending less is some slightly smaller number. ;)

We really need more context. Is it overclocked? Is there a water cooler setup? Peltiers? I mean that the grease, is like the last miles in benefits, all other ducks need to be in a row before this consideration and you have mentioned no ducks.

Maybe stop being so lazy and write the full description of your situation. Very bad form, when your answer replies are a dozen times longer than your question due to how vague you were.

Last edited:

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Kryonaut is basically gold standard.

Its easy to apply, its performance is at the top (although top is like within 1-2c from 1st to 6th place.)
Its pricey for what you get tho.

MX-4 is also pretty good if you do a lot of mounts.
Its cheap and consistant.

My favorate is PK-1 or PK-3 from Prolimatech, although its difficult to find now.

So if its a single install, meaning your just a solo builder, with not a lot system, i would just get kryonaut desipte its higher cost and just be done with it.
The cost is within a couple of dollars of each other unless again, we go looking at big tubes (20g+ tubes) for a LOT of builds / mounts.

Dont mess with liquid metal unless you know exactly what it is, and what your doing.
1. it does not play nice with Alu.
2. its conductive as hell, so it will short anything that has a trace.
3. it can get messy.

Liquid metal will have the name:
Conductonaut, or Coollabatory.

There is also a very good graphite pad just for CPU and heatsinks, by Innovation Cooling.
However I ONLY recommend this if you are not overclocked and CPU only... i hear its HORRIBLE on direct die, and GPU's.
This is also the most expensive method, but by far lasts the longest, as you can reapply the pad as many times as you like, and take it from one system to another.

Last edited:

hardcore_gamer29

Jul 24, 2013
Kryonaut is basically gold standard.

Its easy to apply, its performance is at the top (although top is like within 1-2c from 1st to 6th place.)
Its pricey for what you get tho.

MX-4 is also pretty good if you do a lot of mounts.
Its cheap and consistant.

My favorate is PK-1 or PK-3 from Prolimatech, although its difficult to find now.

So if its a single install, meaning your just a solo builder, with not a lot system, i would just get kryonaut desipte its higher cost and just be done with it.
The cost is within a couple of dollars of each other unless again, we go looking at big tubes (20g+ tubes) for a LOT of builds / mounts.

Dont mess with liquid metal unless you know exactly what it is, and what your doing.
1. it does not play nice with Alu.
2. its conductive as hell, so it will short anything that has a trace.
3. it can get messy.

Liquid metal will have the name:
Conductonaut, or Coollabatory.

There is also a very good graphite pad just for CPU and heatsinks, by Innovation Cooling.
However I ONLY recommend this if you are not overclocked and CPU only... i hear its HORRIBLE on direct die, and GPU's.
This is also the most expensive method, but by far lasts the longest, as you can reapply the pad as many times as you like, and take it from one system to another.
yes, liquid metal is out of question it may damage my motherboard and i was lokking for noctua nt h1 will it suffice to lower the max temperature in stress test like occt currently it reaches 100 in occt

hardcore_gamer29

Jul 24, 2013
The one you find on sale for lowest cost at quantity you're going to use in a reasonable amount of time, that's not as long term unstable as the basic zinc oxide in silicone oil, unless you rebuild every year or two then even that might last long enough.

You'll get as much benefit out of lapping the CPU and heatsink, which are free (if you have the right sandpaper) as settling for some exotic goop. I know lapping is so old school and actually moving one's arms to do something is hard to imagine, but I once even did this on a heat-spreader-less (exposed die) Athlon XP and heatsink and tested running it WITHOUT any heatsink grease.

At the same time I can appreciate a hobby where some slightly smaller number feels like an accomplishment, and yet, spending less is some slightly smaller number. ;)

We really need more context. Is it overclocked? Is there a water cooler setup? Peltiers? I mean that the grease, is like the last miles in benefits, all other ducks need to be in a row before this consideration and you have mentioned no ducks.

Maybe stop being so lazy and write the full description of your situation. Very bad form, when your answer replies are a dozen times longer than your question due to how vague you were.
no overclocking , still in occt temp. reaches 100 and i am not looking for electrically conductive paste

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
yes, liquid metal is out of question it may damage my motherboard and i was lokking for noctua nt h1 will it suffice to lower the max temperature in stress test like occt currently it reaches 100 in occt

I highly doubt changing paste will help you in this department.
You need either better fans or a better sink or better wire management if its messy.

If you already have the H1 id just use that.
Again your looking at fractions of C under ideal conditions.
What your after is a major reduction of 20%... your not going to get that from paste.

hardcore_gamer29

Jul 24, 2013
I highly doubt changing paste will help you in this department.
You need either better fans or a better sink or better wire management if its messy.

If you already have the H1 id just use that.
Again your looking at fractions of C under ideal conditions.
What your after is a major reduction of 20%... your not going to get that from paste.
i have deepcool castle ex 360mm AIO it is not enough? i have corsair 780T case. so, no issues for wire management

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
i have deepcool castle ex 360mm AIO it is not enough? i have corsair 780T case. so, no issues for wire management

There is now way anyone can tell you its enough its you massively overkill it.
Ambient swings alone can change the direction of this answer.