Question Thermal Pads In General (and Vega64)

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 3, 2019
I'm pulling apart my GPU to replace the paste and thermal pads. I researched the thickness(es) I'd need for my card (1mm and a 1.5mm), but I was curious about the width. It looks like I can buy it in sheets or squares of different widths. I was thinking I would buy sheets and cut to fit, but figured I'd ask for advice as maybe there's go to size and also if you happen to know about the Vega 64 in particular.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
I do it all the time.
I only buy sheets, its far more economical that way.

The sweet spot in thermal conductivity for the pads is ~ 12.6-12.8 W/mK.
Look for sheets that are around there if your repadding a GPU.

I would avoid the 6 W/mK.
I would also avoid the really cheap 12.8 W/mK that is made is China. Its not real 12.8
Avoid going higher, it turns more clay like as the number goes higher.

So yes, in short, look for a real 12.6 -12.8 W/mK and sheet size of one side being no shorter then 60mm

solidsnake1298

Aug 7, 2009
I do it all the time.
I only buy sheets, its far more economical that way.

The sweet spot in thermal conductivity for the pads is ~ 12.6-12.8 W/mK.
Look for sheets that are around there if your repadding a GPU.

I would avoid the 6 W/mK.
I would also avoid the really cheap 12.8 W/mK that is made is China. Its not real 12.8
Avoid going higher, it turns more clay like as the number goes higher.

So yes, in short, look for a real 12.6 -12.8 W/mK and sheet size of one side being no shorter then 60mm

aigomorla's suggestion of ~12 W/mK is solid. On most boards the VRM run WAAAAAY under their max temps. So even cheap thermal pads are probably good enough. Though, 12 W/mK thermal pads sheets are pretty cheap already.

But I will say that going higher does make a difference in some applications. I got fujipoly XR-m (17 W/mK) for the memory on my GTX 1070. I was able to push my memory OC a little bit higher. Definitely not worth the cost, but I like tinkering and pushing my hardware and finding the limit. This doesn't apply to your Vega, though, since the HBM is on the same package as the GPU die.

Status
Not open for further replies.