Question Thermal pads for Insignia NVMe heatsink and Insignia NVMe enclosure

Dave3000

Golden Member
Jan 10, 2011
I have an Insignia NVMe heatsink but I transferred those thermal pads to an old motherboard I don't own anymore. I was wondering what would be the correct thickness of the thermal pads I should be getting for this heatsink or should I buy another one of these heatsinks that include the thermal pads? I planning on using the bottom NVMe slot of my motherboard for my 2nd 980 Pro NVMe and that slot did not come with a heatsink but I have the Insignia NVMe heatsink that I can use once I get the thermal pads.

Also I have an Insignia NVMe enclosure but while I peeled off the paper from the included thermal pad and destroyed the pad in the process and I'm now thinking that the paper side of the included pad was for easy opening and close of the enclosure without destroying the pad but at the time I thought that the paper was meant to be peeled off as I thought that it would trap the heat from the NVMe drive installed inside that enclosure. Is there a similar thermal pad with a paper side designed for NVMe enclosures that has the correct thickness for this NVMe enclosure. I tested my 250GB 970 EVO Plus inside the enclosure without the thermal pad and it reached up to 98C and that's with the enclosure opened, so I'm surly going to want a thermal pad for this enclosure, and one that are designed for NVMe enclosures at that.

Last edited:

Dave3000

Golden Member
Jan 10, 2011
Well today I bought the Insignia NVMe heatsink that included the thermal pads instead of taking a risk and buying 3rd party thermal pads separately and hoping that they will be a good fit for my Insignia NVMe heatsink. Still I have an external NVMe enclosure lying around that I would like to use for another NVMe drive lying around but need a thick enough thermal pad that is meant for NVMe enclosures. Do I need to look for a thermal pad that has a paper side like the thermal pad that came with the Insignia NVMe enclosure or will any M.2 thermal pad do the job and not get destroyed when opening and closing the enclosure or make the enclosure stuck shut due to adhesiveness?