Thermal compound vs. retail pad

kgun12

Aug 19, 2004
Just bought a retail athlon64. The heatsink comes with the grey thermal pad pre-applied. I've also got a tube of Coolermaster hi-performance thermal compound. Should I just stick with the pad, or remove it and use the goop? I do plan on O/C'ing.

Thanks!

jswjimmy

Jul 24, 2003
use the thermal compound for overclocking.
edit: buy some AS5 for better cooling(only like 1C to 2C)

Davegod

Platinum Member
Nov 26, 2001
take off th epad and use the paste.
might want to find some fairly soft plastic edge to take the pad off, then remove whats left with a bit of nail varnish remover or something (afterwards, wipe it off and leave for a bit so it evaporates completely before applying the paste).

HardWarrior

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
Things may have changed but the last time I used a thermal pad it melted around the core and onto the chip and was a tough as plastic to remove. :Q

MrK6

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2004
Every pad is different, it's easiest to remove them when they're cold though.

Zepper

Elite Member
May 1, 2001
It depends. Do you want to do it just once and forget it? If so, then use the pad. If you use grease (any of them except perhaps for Shin Etsu - but it is also the hardest of the greases to apply), it should be redone at least annually. Most of the ATF denizens don't leave things alone long enough for the 'pump-out' phenomenon to occur. ;)
. Pads are called "Phase Change Thermal Interface Material" which means they must change from a solid to a liquid (preferably just once or they could be pumped out too) to work properly. The one you have sounds like Shin Etsu PC material (usually gray) which has a PC point of around 50 deg C (the pink ones are Chomerics and need 60 deg C or so to melt). So you need to allow your CPU to rise into the mid to upper 50s for a few seconds to be sure it melts. This may require that you disconnect or reduce the speed of your CPU fan for a brief period depending on the efficiency of your HSF.
. Done properly, there won't be but a degree or two difference between the pad and the grease, so it's better to make your decision on other considerations. If you want further details on how to do the melt, PM me.
.bh.