Question Thermal Compound in 2020

STERKOFF

Jul 8, 2019
Going to be doing a new build once I get my hands on one of the new Ryzen CPU's (a separate topic, I know) and was curious what is the go-to thermal compound these days? Not looking for crazy, expensive, bleeding-edge stuff. For example I used to use AC5 years and years ago and my last was the Noctua tube that came with their heatsink. Maybe there really isn't much between them these days, IDK....

Avalon

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2001
Recently had to do some research myself on that topic when I was building my Ryzen 5600X machine. Check this out:

I wound up going with the Noctua NT-H2 because it was pretty performant but also reasonably priced. Works great and is easy to apply.

damian101

Aug 11, 2020
You can't go wrong with Arctic MX-2 or MX-4.
Paying more for thermal paste gives you barely better performance, unless you go for liquid metal.
For CPUs with heatspreader thermal compound isn't very important anyway. For direct-die cooling I normally use liquid metal pads.

Reactions: killster1

STERKOFF

Jul 8, 2019
Recently had to do some research myself on that topic when I was building my Ryzen 5600X machine. Check this out:

I wound up going with the Noctua NT-H2 because it was pretty performant but also reasonably priced. Works great and is easy to apply.

Thanks! Looks like the NT-H2 offers good performance at reasonable price. Maybe will watch for a BF deal on the Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, but otherwise looks like either the NT-H2 or PK-2 will easily meet my modest needs.

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
GC extreme is king of longevity with performance.

If you want your paste application to last 5 years it's an obvious choice.

I've observed it lasting 5 years without any detectable change in performance, no drying out, no running out.

Kryonaut performs slightly better but doesn't last as long.

Reactions: Drazick