Theres finally time, I can read all I want... - OSX86

TruePaige

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2006
So...I'm really enjoying how far along the OS X 86 project is....I run some of the live install discs from time to time to check on the progress, and I remember back to when I had to grab all these patches, files, bypasses, and images just to get a kinda-sorta running OSX. I can't wait for the day when it's as easy to install on a standard PC as any other OS.

Any other fans?

TruePaige

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2006
Originally posted by: luminousmidnight
Anyone who installs OS X on a PC is technically committing a crime.

Technical Schmecknical.

It's pretty, flexible, and lets me testdrive App's without owning a mac.

..Also!

It's originally from the TZ, but had a nice Futurama Cover...not to mention I THINK a Ren and Stimpy Cover.

Sqwee =)

umrigar

Platinum Member
Jun 3, 2004
It's illegal. No technicalities about it.

LINK

Apple's Mac OS X End User License Agreement (EULA): "This License allows you to install and use one copy of the Apple Software on a single Apple-labeled computer at a time."

It's a fun hack project for some, but it will not be supported and will always be a hack.

I remember playing HackQuake because ID took so long to release Quake for Mac. It wasn't 100% polished but it ran on my old 6100 with a G3 upgrade.

ObscureCaucasian

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2006
Originally posted by: umrigar

LINK

Apple's Mac OS X End User License Agreement (EULA): "This License allows you to install and use one copy of the Apple Software on a single Apple-labeled computer at a time."

It's a fun hack project for some, but it will not be supported and will always be a hack.

I remember playing HackQuake because ID took so long to release Quake for Mac. It wasn't 100% polished but it ran on my old 6100 with a G3 upgrade.

There isn't a chance they forgot to define "Apple Labeled Computer" is there, because I have a label maker you know ;)

gus6464

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2005
Originally posted by: BlameCanada
Originally posted by: umrigar

LINK

There isn't a chance they forgot to define "Apple Labeled Computer" is there, because I have a label maker you know ;)

Or you could put one of those apple stickers that come with ipods on your machine too. :)

gwag

Feb 25, 2004
Originally posted by: TruePaige
Originally posted by: luminousmidnight
Anyone who installs OS X on a PC is technically committing a crime.

Technical Schmecknical.

It's pretty, flexible, and lets me testdrive App's without owning a mac.

..Also!

It's originally from the TZ, but had a nice Futurama Cover...not to mention I THINK a Ren and Stimpy Cover.

Sqwee =)

So do you like the OS or just the apps or neither.
I can not stand windows anymore.

Mordachi

Jun 13, 2007
Go linux if you can't stand Windows... Thought that really depends on who you are and how much experience you have with either.

I bought a used iBook a couple of years ago just to get familiar with OSX....It lasted for about 3 weeks and I installed Yellow Dog Linux on it. I then reinstalled OSX and gave it to my brother in law. He started to really enjoy using OSX. Its really a matter of preference...People can tout the abilities of one OS over another, but really, they can all do the same thing in roughly the same time on recent tech.

My personal frustrations using OSX center on me being unfamiliar with the operating system and finding certain things illogical when I actual figure it out. Other people don't have that experience, so I recommend just experimenting and see what you like. I would start with Linux; both Sabayon and Ubuntu are very nice, polished and stable Linux distributions.

Out of curiosity, what about Windows is bothering you? If its regarding stability and vulnerability, there are numerous ways to fix that...

TheStu

Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets
Sep 15, 2004
When i first switched to OS X, i was in the same boat as you Mordachi, but then as i started using OS X more and more, I noticed that for common things, I can get to my files a little bit quicker, and I just like OS X better than Windows. Hey, got to love capitalism... I can get what I like and want, you can too, and so can Bob the Taxi Driver*

*(Bob the Taxi Driver is not associated with any specific individual or group. Bob the Taxi Driver to be referenced solely for the purpose of mentioning a third party when offering examples to a second party. Bob the Taxi Driver may be used freely and without prejudiced by any and all, and is bound by the terms of the GPL)