Theres a thing called the Pandora Papers. Different from the 2016 Panama Papers.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
And wiki already has a page for it.

Supposedly as many as 600 journalists are digging thru it all.

What you guys think? Is it ok to break someones privacy is they are wealthy or a public official? Will this cause so much harm it affects the rest of us? Will the rich lash out and punish people in anger?

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Many of the details provided show illegal and corrupt behavior, and thus should have no expectation of privacy. For example, when the Crown Estate overpaid for that office block, that was effectively the Queen of England making a backdoor payment to the President of Azerbaijan using public monies. And that's just the tip of the iceberg of this shit. One would hope this would lead to further investigations and even prosecutions, but.. lol no.

Reactions: hal2kilo and Pohemi

Franz316

Sep 12, 2000
Late stage capitalism in the modern world sure is fun isn't it? We've basically recreated a global feudalism where there are two sets of rules.. ones for the 1% and ones for the rest of us. I think we know who's winning the class war here. Instead of a united front against them, we're too busy fighting among one another, so until that changes not much will. Oh and often-times the people that are tasked to enforce and create the rules are compromised by those who break them. Good luck to us.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Late stage capitalism in the modern world sure is fun isn't it? We've basically recreated a global feudalism where there are two sets of rules.. ones for the 1% and ones for the rest of us. I think we know who's winning the class war here. Instead of a united front against them, we're too busy fighting among one another, so until that changes not much will. Oh and often-times the people that are tasked to enforce and create the rules are compromised by those who break them. Good luck to us.
You know what's funny? When the villagers come running with pitchforks and torches, the gentry ALWAYS act fuckin surprised.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I find it odd how the names of these papers always seem to start with 'P'.

Panama/Paradise/Pandora

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
I was watching a bit on this on the BBC. It seems like quite a broad range of world leaders are tangled up in this. It's amazing how many leaders of two-bit countries you've barely heard of secretly buy 100M estates in the South of France or somesuch behavior.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I was watching a bit on this on the BBC. It seems like quite a broad range of world leaders are tangled up in this. It's amazing how many leaders of two-bit countries you've barely heard of secretly buy 100M estates in the South of France or somesuch behavior.
Well, SOME of those countries get aid from the US. They take that money and give it to themselves, or expand their military. We need to cut them off.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
I see your point. Its the front page of the BBC right now as well.

Hints of this story popped up on Saturday night (Forgot where I read it but it was an article hinting at the story's pending release)
The Guardian released it yesterday and it spread over the course of Sunday.
It was on all the major News sites on Sunday.

I can confirm that traditional outlets started reporting on this almost as soon as the Guardian report dropped.
Note: I get my news form traditional news outlets. Not 24 hour news channel bullshit.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
It's darkly funny, how, after all those decades of trying and failing to undermine the West with communism, post-communist Russia has realised that it's far easier to take them over from the right, by turning to capitalism (of a sort) and simply buying political influence in the free market.

• Mohamed Amersi, a major donor who funded Johnson’s campaign to become prime minister, advised on the structure of a telecoms deal that was later found to be a $220m (£162m) bribe for the daughter of the then president of Uzbekistan. His lawyers strongly denied any wrongdoing on his part and said any suggestion he “knowingly” facilitated corrupt payments was false. His lawyers added that all his donations were derived from work done for legitimate clients and any suggestion they were the product of improper funds was false.
  • The wealth of Lubov Chernukhin, who has donated £2.1m to the Tories since 2012, appears to flow in part from the corporate structures of her husband, Vladimir, a former Russian state banker and a finance minister under Vladimir Putin. The files also reveal the extent to which the couple rely on a vast offshore network of companies to fund their lifestyle. Their lawyers denied Lubov Chernukhin’s donations had been funded improperly or influenced by anyone else.
  • Viktor Fedotov, a Russian-born oil tycoon, whose firm has made huge donations to the Conservative party, secretly co-owned a company once accused of participating in a massive corruption scheme. Fedotov’s majority-owned UK company, Aquind, and his business partner, have donated more than £1.1m to the Conservatives. Lawyers for Fedotov and Aquind denied all accusations of fraud and said accusations of corruption aimed at his Russian firm were “completely false”. Lawyers for Aquind stressed that Fedotov did not personally donate to the Conservative party, was not involved in the management of the company and had “no influence” over its donations. Fedotov’s lawyers said he “has never had any interest in British politics and has operated in an open and transparent manner throughout the course of his career”.

• Haha
Reactions: dawp and Pohemi

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Maybe that explains why The Tories seem so bereft of a consistent ideology these days? It's basically now just a mercenary outfit. Though I'm not sure if that is _because_ of Russian influence, or it's rather that Putinism and the hollowing-out of politics globally are part of the same development - the collapse of Communism heralded a kind of post-ideology world, where it's just about competing business and nationalist influences. There's no ideology any more, it's all just about cats fighting in a sack.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Maybe that explains why The Tories seem so bereft of a consistent ideology these days? It's basically now just a mercenary outfit. Though I'm not sure if that is _because_ of Russian influence, or it's rather that Putinism and the hollowing-out of politics globally are part of the same development - the collapse of Communism heralded a kind of post-ideology world, where it's just about competing business and nationalist influences. There's no ideology any more, it's all just about cats fighting in a sack.

One important thing to remember is Russian influence (real or attempted) goes back at least 50 years. This isnt a new, or Putin created, thing. Same is true about the OP. The rich have always found ways to divert funds.

How Adlai Stevenson Stopped Russian Interference in the 1960 Election | Smart News | Smithsonian Magazine

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
One important thing to remember is Russian influence (real or attempted) goes back at least 50 years. This isnt a new, or Putin created, thing. Same is true about the OP. The rich have always found ways to divert funds.

How Adlai Stevenson Stopped Russian Interference in the 1960 Election | Smart News | Smithsonian Magazine

Yeah, but they weren't terribly successful back then, because they hadn't embraced the logic of the market. They were hampered by the fact that they were trying to promote an actual ideology, not just naked economic and nationalist self-interest.

Reactions: Pohemi

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Yeah, but they weren't terribly successful back then, because they hadn't embraced the logic of the market. They were hampered by the fact that they were trying to promote an actual ideology, not just naked economic and nationalist self-interest.

My point remains.

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
The rich remain rich and getting richer.

Everyone else continues along, at best, at the status quo that the rich allow them.

What are you going to do about it?

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Yeah, just saw it in the news:

He has a dozen luxury homes all over the place. So, I guess maybe the leaks are a good thing. BUT, I bet very little happens to the people who've been exposed.

Reactions: Pohemi