there might be something to this android crunching on WCG

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
I ran the various BOINC projects on my Nexus 7 for a while (results are in another thread) to test the different projects to see how well they did. Some of them ran fairly well, but I stopped running them because even though it might be 'efficent credits for watts used', the device is essentially useless for anything else while BOINC is running, it gets extremely hot (not good for the device long term), and the battery only lasts about two hours if BOINC is running while the tablet is not plugged in.

edit: This is the thread where we discussed the BOINC Android apps: http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2332417

sangyup81

Golden Member
Feb 22, 2005
Thanks Fardringle!

I'm not sure I want to bring a dead thread back alive so maybe we can continue here.

I solved the heat problem by placing the phone on top of old CPU heatsinks I have that I removed the fans from. They provide a nice flat surface and the phone's temperature feels fairly normal when I pick up the phone (the heatsinks do get warmed up pretty nicely though)

I try not to crunch when I'm actually using the phone and that does give a pretty good amount of time for crunching.