"There is GOOD news, and BAD news"...

L

Lola

This gets asked to me a lot.
I always ask for the bad news first and then for the good.
my reasoning is that i would rather accept the bad first, then i still have the good news to look forward to.

when someone asks you this... what do you want to hear first and WHY?
Also, do you feel you are a "glass half full" or "glass half empty" type of person?

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003
Originally posted by: LolaWiz
my reasoning is that i would rather accept the bad first, then i still have the good news to look forward to.

Also, do you feel you are a "glass half full" or "glass half empty" type of person?

Bad first, then good. I have the same logic as you when it comes to this; rather have bad then look forward to the good.

The half glass thing, I always say something different. I dont think I always have oen way of saying it. Guess my life has it's ups and downs.

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
I ALWAYS ask for the bad news first, for the exact same reasoning that you do.

And I am a glass half empty person; I'm definitely a sarcastic pessimist.

People suck, man is inherently evil, you make you own good in this world.

DaShen

Lifer
Dec 1, 2000
Bad news first.

The glass is filled halfway with liquid and halfway with air. ;) :p So in actuallity the glass is full, just not full of the same stuff. No vaccuum here.

tweakmm

Lifer
May 28, 2001
Originally posted by: MichaelD

:thumbsup:

Although the glass is half full for me and I'm a sarcastic optimist, I agree with everything else.

Warthog912

Golden Member
Jun 17, 2001
Originally posted by: MichaelD

holy cow. Those are my_exact_thoughts. Last line is quoteworthy :)

L

Lola

Originally posted by: iamwiz82
Is this about last night? :p

yes :eek:

for others... my hubby asked me this question last night and i asked for the bad, he told me, and then i asked for the GOOD, and he said there is nothing good. :eek:
EDIT: GET YO MIND OUTTA THE GUTTER YOU PERVS!! :D :p nothing raunchy!

j00fek

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2005
Originally posted by: LolaWiz

:thumbsup:

imported_goku

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2004
Glass half full or half empty? ****** it's neither, I just pour out the glass and say "glass is empty, give me more".

ATLien247

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2000
The only time someone has ever said that to me, I told them I wanted to hear the bad news first. They told me the bad news, and then confessed that there never was any good news to begin with. :|

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
I always like the good first and I always try to use the good first. However, I'm finding out now that people ignore the first thing you say and only focus on the last thing. No matter how much emphasis you put on the first thing, it is forgotten. Thus, I'm now going against my grains and doing the bad part first. It doesn't make any sense to to it that way, but that is what people want.

For example, when doing a critique on writing I get these choices:

[*]Option A)
Me: Your writing is total garbage, nothing is clear, it is all illogical, and you seem to have no order, no rhyme, and no reason to your paper. However, I like your example on page 3.
Them: So it is perfect! Great I'll send it out as it is.

[*]Option B)
Me: Your writing is nearly perfect, it is the best thing I have ever read. There is a smooth flow, wonderful examples, etc. However, you misspelled "their" on page 4.
Them: Why do you always criticize me? Can't I do anything right? Can't I ever please you?

I just can't see why people react that way to option B. I like to butter them up first and then say everything is perfect if you just make one minor modification. But for some reason, everyone needs to be given option A. Then they are happy. It just does not make sense. But I deal with it.

I'm a realist. The glass is 40% larger than it needs to be. The remaining 10% is a buffer zone for splashing while carrying the glass and/or potential overfilling on the next use of the glass.