There is a stereotype I hope would not be true.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

blackdogdeek

Lifer
Mar 14, 2003
Originally posted by: SlitheryDee
Originally posted by: blackdogdeek
Originally posted by: FrustratedUser
:D:D
Yeah, I see what you mean but this was enough. I've met enough frat boys to call this stereotype 90% confirmed. LOL

that's weird because 90% of the fraternity brothers i've met are really smart.

That depends on your measuring stick I suppose. :)

I tend to agree with the OP in principle, just not the example he cited as evidence.

1. managing director at dresdner bank in london with a house there and a villa in spain
2. vp at goldman sachs with $1.7 million house in westchester
3. pediatric doctor at mount sinai medical center
4. phd in chemical engineering working at a large pharmaceutical
5. semi-retired consultant for csfb who teaches full-time now just for the fun of it
6. comp sci phd teaching full-time at san jose state university
7. writer/director who funds his movie projects by consulting as unix sa/tibco consultant at ubs

i'd say even this sampling has to be considered smart, or at the least, highly successful, by most measurements.

kami333

Diamond Member
Dec 12, 2001
Originally posted by: MIKEMIKE
Originally posted by: Amplifier
Most frat boys on alcohol are not intelligent. Looks like you made a shocking discovery my dear Jamaican.

I guess so.

ill tell you that my 2 cousins who were in frats deffinately are much smarter than you think.

one is an extremely succcessful person, and the other is just starting. both however are extremely smart.

Good for them!
The ones I've met are all the same. Cast in the same mold.

I told you I wish someone could destroy this stereotype, but I haven't met one yet.

It's probably because of where you are meeting them. Your friend's kegger may not be the best place to meet intelligent people in general.

Hell, I'm usually incoherently drunk at a kegger and wouldn't be able to hold a semi-intelligent conversation with a sober person.

S

SlitheryDee

Originally posted by: SlitheryDee
:D:D
Yeah, I see what you mean but this was enough. I've met enough frat boys to call this stereotype 90% confirmed. LOL

that's weird because 90% of the fraternity brothers i've met are really smart.

That depends on your measuring stick I suppose. :)

I tend to agree with the OP in principle, just not the example he cited as evidence.

1. managing director at dresdner bank in london with a house there and a villa in spain
2. vp at goldman sachs with $1.7 million house in westchester
3. pediatric doctor at mount sinai medical center
4. phd in chemical engineering working at a large pharmaceutical
5. semi-retired consultant for csfb who teaches full-time now just for the fun of it
6. comp sci phd teaching full-time at san jose state university
7. writer/director who funds his movie projects by consulting as unix sa/tibco consultant at ubs

i'd say even this sampling has to be considered smart, or at the least, highly successful, by most measurements.

You're right of course in that those people are successful and probably very smart as well.

One thing though. You're telling me that 7 people make up 90% of the frat brothers you know? At least 1/3 of the frat guys I know are party animals who ended up dropping out of school with only a minority going on to graduate and begin decent careers. I'd say that minority would compose about 7-10 people.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
The stereotype is TOTALLY true.

But I wouldn't say frat boys are dumb, they just act dumb.