The zig-zag method isnt a proven tactic and might not be your best option.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

KB

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 1999
I think the summary of the article is: it is better to get to cover faster than it is to try to dodge a bullet by zig-zagging.

For the sake of science, they need to do more testing including fleeing down a long thing hallway, fleeing in an open space etc.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Interesting, in my humnle opinion I'd zig-zag, today's handguns routinly carry a 10 round clip, correct?, don't let the shooter gain a proper bead by varying the zig's/zag's and speed.
If I were running from someone who was standing still (or running towards me) and shooting at me I think I'd instinctively do some zig zagging. Or maybe I'd just turn around and shoot them through the forehead like they do in the movies.

Mar 11, 2004
Only zig-zagging I'd be doing is cutting a z into him after I cut his belt off causing his pants to fall down before punching him in the face and somersaulting out of the way as a rube goldberg machine kills him somehow, cause I'm Zorro!

Not kidding that's actually how gun fuckers acted claiming all the shit they'd do if they were in a shooter situation. I recall having discussions with some of them after the Aurora theater shooting. It went like this.

"I'd have pulled my gun and ended it in 1 second, he'd never have fired off a round!"
"It was dark and people thought he might be security."
"Well I'd have known."
"He started firing almost immediately before people could even react to realizing he had a gun."
"I'd have quick-drawed him down!"
"He was wearing body armor and riot gear"
"I'd have shot him in the head!"
"He was wearing a helmet."
"I'd have shot his knees out."
"You'd have to be close enough that you wouldn't have shot someone else aiming for his knees."
"I'd have crouched down shot between the seats and hit him right in the dick!"
"It was smoky from the gun firing and people were running all over."
"I'd have banked it off the screen!"

Reactions: hal2kilo and Muse

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Only zig-zagging I'd be doing is cutting a z into him after I cut his belt off causing his pants to fall down before punching him in the face and somersaulting out of the way as a rube goldberg machine kills him somehow, cause I'm Zorro!

Not kidding that's actually how gun fuckers acted claiming all the shit they'd do if they were in a shooter situation. I recall having discussions with some of them after the Aurora theater shooting. It went like this.

"I'd have pulled my gun and ended it in 1 second, he'd never have fired off a round!"
"It was dark and people thought he might be security."
"Well I'd have known."
"He started firing almost immediately before people could even react to realizing he had a gun."
"I'd have quick-drawed him down!"
"He was wearing body armor and riot gear"
"I'd have shot him in the head!"
"He was wearing a helmet."
"I'd have shot his knees out."
"You'd have to be close enough that you wouldn't have shot someone else aiming for his knees."
"I'd have crouched down shot between the seats and hit him right in the dick!"
"It was smoky from the gun firing and people were running all over."
"I'd have banked it off the screen!"
Proof positive that Americans are lunatics.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
We're still the wild west of the developed nation's, or the violent drunk uncle nobody wants to see at family gatherings
I keep hearing about that. We've never had a violent drunk anything at any of my family gatherings AFAIK. :D We maybe drink a couple glasses of wine. The weirdest guy is my cousin's husband who has some novel political views, but I haven't talked to him on those for 4-5 years. Amazing guy actually. No screwballs in my family at all.

Now, TBH I'm quite happy right now that nobody wants Americans to come to their country we're such a wild insane bunch of covid-19 impervious nitwits. I want one thing for Christmas and nothing else... a different president.

I have a passport I've never used and a cabinet full of travel accouterments I've never used. I'm hoping in a year I'll be able to travel abroad and not be embarrassed to say I'm an American. Well, that may be asking too much, but right now it's pretty tough.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
I keep hearing about that. We've never had a violent drunk anything at any of my family gatherings AFAIK. :D We maybe drink a couple glasses of wine. The weirdest guy is my cousin's husband who has some novel political views, but I haven't talked to him on those for 4-5 years. Amazing guy actually. No screwballs in my family at all.

Now, TBH I'm quite happy right now that nobody wants Americans to come to their country we're such a wild insane bunch of covid-19 impervious nitwits. I want one thing for Christmas and nothing else... a different president.

I have a passport I've never used and a cabinet full of travel accouterments I've never used. I'm hoping in a year I'll be able to travel abroad and not be embarrassed to say I'm an American. Well, that may be asking too much, but right now it's pretty tough.

ok, so you just don't invite that person to your family gatherings :p

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
ok, so you just don't invite that person to your family gatherings :p
There have been many people at many of our family gatherings over many years and I can't remember anyone remotely resembling "that person."

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
Zig Zag only helps when they have to lead you. That close it doesn't matter what you're doing, they can just put their sight on you.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
hmmm

a little more like this

Aha! I had no idea. My TV IQ is spotty to put it mildly. I didn't have a TV for 20 years straight. Also, Family Guy never got my attention, I was a Simpsons fan, the other Fox cartoon (Family Guy???) I didn't like the animation technique.