The zig-zag method isnt a proven tactic and might not be your best option.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003

For those who dont like reading:

I mention this because it seems to me the quarantine has not reduced shootings much across the nation and also most people are forcing kids back to school this fall.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
That is really needed in these forums!! I really mean it! It should be listed under PSA!!! Cops can`t shoot straight so by zig zagging you actually are more apt to be hit by a bullet, more so than if you are running in a straight line....

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Interesting, in my humnle opinion I'd zig-zag, today's handguns routinly carry a 10 round clip, correct?, don't let the shooter gain a proper bead by varying the zig's/zag's and speed.

Reactions: Greenman

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Predictability = Vulnerability. Repeat a pattern once gets you targeted. Repeat it again gets you one way free shipping home in a fancy flag draped crate.

Unpredictability = Survival. Never assist your enemy in his effort to kill you. Make them earn it the hard way.

This I learned by forced rote from a very well meaning torturer tutor dressed in green.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
So are you still supposed to run downhill when chased by a bear?

If the bear has a firearm do you zig-zag down the hill?

Having read the linked article, it strikes me it was a pretty small-scale experiment on which to base life-changing decisions. Surprised he found volunteers prepared to risk paint-gun headshots, though. I gather those things still sting quite a bit. A friend got a perforated eardrum from getting hit in the ear with one.

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
So are you still supposed to run downhill when chased by a bear?

If the bear has a firearm do you zig-zag down the hill?

Having read the linked article, it strikes me it was a pretty small-scale experiment on which to base life-changing decisions. Surprised he found volunteers prepared to risk paint-gun headshots, though. I gather those things still sting quite a bit. A friend got a perforated eardrum from getting hit in the ear with one.
just be careful of those killer bunnies, they have a hell of a jumping ability.

FaaR

Golden Member
Dec 28, 2007
i thought this thread was about running from alligators, now i leave disappointed.
Hm, I think I'd run in a straight line if I was chased by a gator honestly. Zig-zagging would slow me down and gators are sprinters, not endurance runners. So more speed = better I would think. :p

People from other developed countries must marvel at the fact that Americans discuss how best to avoid being shot to death.
What we boggle the most at is actually that you teach your kids how to avoid getting gunned down in a shool shooting. Also, bullet-proof backpacks, and school architecture intended to limit gun carnage with curving corridors and whatnot... That's seriously fucked up.

It's mass shootings normalized to the point they are seen as something one should expect and plan for, like bad weather for example. That's pure insanity. That's what happens when guns become more sacred and important than living human beings.

Reactions: ch33zw1z

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Hm, I think I'd run in a straight line if I was chased by a gator honestly. Zig-zagging would slow me down and gators are sprinters, not endurance runners. So more speed = better I would think. :p

What we boggle the most at is actually that you teach your kids how to avoid getting gunned down in a shool shooting. Also, bullet-proof backpacks, and school architecture intended to limit gun carnage with curving corridors and whatnot... That's seriously fucked up.

It's mass shootings normalized to the point they are seen as something one should expect and plan for, like bad weather for example. That's pure insanity. That's what happens when guns become more sacred and important than living human beings.
Yes, the idea that we attempt to mitigate the damage caused by school shootings instead of addressing the shootings themselves is mind boggling.

Reactions: Starbuck1975

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
No, you stand your ground and take your bullets like true 'Murican Patriot. Then, the Lord willing, get back to class.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Any randomly moving target is harder to hit. Old lady with a walker is a sure thing, drunk Usain Bolt is an impossible shot.