The worst traffic jam ever.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
We were on the I-65 last night and from a combination of people going to the Creed concert and some stupid ass truck driver who tipped his rig further up we went from normal highway speeds to the slowest most gridlocked traffic I've ever imagined. Traffic started at one exit and we needed the next one. The sign post said 1.5 miles. It took us 45 fvcking minutes to get to that other exit! 2 mph! A lot of people were going on the hard shoulder but I didn't want a ticket. I'm such a good boy!

The worst part was that I have a manual transmission and this gridlocked 2mph traffic was up a hill. It was freaking brutal on the clutch. I'd have to go in spurts leaving a big gap then closing the distance. Christ I hated it. Highway crews need quicker more effective methods of clearing a highway when stuff like this happens.

Aves

Lifer
Feb 7, 2001
Yesterday around 3PM they had a section of 59 closed off completely. It was rough, it took almost an extra hour to get home because we had to backtrack to 459 and take it to 65.

neovan

Diamond Member
Mar 8, 2001
You should of seen this last weekend in Los Angeles on the 710 freeway. There was a 198 car accident. It was amazing.

Article here

Parrotheader

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 1999
LOL! I was just commenting to another co-worker about my good luck on the commute home yesterday. I get off work at 5 although yesterday I just decided to leave about 5 minutes early just for the heck of it. THANK GOD I DID! My office is off Lakeshore (bad enough traffic arleady) which was one of the 2 or 3 exits closed off due to that wreck. Fortunately I don't get on the Interestate at Lakeshore I get on one exit further south which was still open and since I'd beat the 5:00 rush and resulting overflow from the I-65 wreck it wasn't too crowded yet. It was so cool. I got on the Interstate and instead of merging into the usual 80mph bumper-to-bumper traffic there was not ONE SINGLE CAR coming down the southbound lanes due to the wreck at the previous exit. MUHAHAHAHA! Instead of my evening commute taking the usual 30-45 minutes I was home in under 20 minutes. Ahhhhhh. Few things are as satisfying as dodging a major traffic jam. :D

I think it wasn't until 10:00 that night before they got everything cleared up from that wreck.

Sorry to hear you guys got stuck in it Skoorb. Welcome to Birmingham. And now you see why I want an auto on my next vehicle. ;)

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
I once sat in a traffic jam for 3 hours on Maui of all places....we were going into town from the resort we were staying at and suddenly traffic came to a halt....we sat there for 3 freaking hours. Couldn't go forward, couldn't turn around, nothing. Traffic finally started moving and we saw the problem. A truckload of goats had overturned and blocked the road.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
I know. I wish it was an auto last night as well :( Still, normally I avoid the thick traffic. I am supposed to drive 20 miles from talapoosa (by the airport) to hoover down the i-65 but every day coming home from work (and going there for that matter) instead I take the 459 north and double back west on the 20. 30 miles takes 30 minutes ALWAYS. I-65 on the other hand you're tossing a coin. Best case it's 25 min and can easily take 50 or more.

Parrotheader

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 1999
You need to spend some time getting lost around town and discovering a lot of the side roads.

Although Birmingham traffic can suck due to the Interstate having far too few lanes for the city's population, the majority of the cities around it at least don't have all the boring, predictable city roads (i.e., nothing but roads running parallel and perpendicular to one another) that many major cities have. I guess a lot of that is due to the geography of the foothills. There's all sorts of side paths you can take running all sorts of weird routes. In fact, whenever it rains I usually don't even bother getting on the main roads. I just zig zag my way across various sideroads along Highway 31 to get home. Usually takes me about 40 minutes to get home, but it's better than potentially being stuck on the Interstate for an hour or more.

no0b

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2001
Going down I-39 In between IL and Wisc. there was a traffic jam moving 2mph because some lazy ass construction workers deciede to make the 2 lane traffic into 1 while the other side of the road was in perfect condition.

I was stuck in the jam for about 1.5 hours moving 2mph in a stick. I learned that you can have the car('92 Honda Civic 1.6L) in first gear at idle rpm range (300-800rpm's) without any of the clutch in and still have the enginge run.

SubZeroX

Oct 24, 2001
I live in LA and I have to go on the damn 10 Fwy MWTRF! Man, I have to endure 1.5 to 2 hr traffic jams 5 days a week going to work and going home! We desperately need a train/subway system in LA...

FrogDog

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2000
You think that's bad, Skoorb? You should try getting into Wolfville NS on a saturday afternoon. You haven't seen anything like it!

edro

Lifer
Apr 5, 2002
Originally posted by: Electric Amish
I'd blame it on Creed.

amish

They like to blame teen violence on Marilyn Manson, so why the hell not? :D

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: FrogDog
You think that's bad, Skoorb? You should try getting into Wolfville NS on a saturday afternoon. You haven't seen anything like it!
Oh come on! It took me 45 minutes to drive a mile and a half! Nova scotia has never seen anything like that!

FrogDog

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2000
Originally posted by: Skoorb
Oh come on! It took me 45 minutes to drive a mile and a half! Nova scotia has never seen anything like that!
You're kidding me right? 45 minutes is child's play. When you get off the 101 via the Wolfville exit you're backed up so far you can't even move. Swear to god. It then takes an hour to get to Wolfville where as with no traffic you'd be there in 5 minutes.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
You're kidding me right? 45 minutes is child's play. When you get off the 101 via the Wolfville exit you're backed up so far you can't even move. Swear to god. It then takes an hour to get to Wolfville where as with no traffic you'd be there in 5 minutes.
Indeed, but the question is how far is that? I don't believe you if you claim that your average speed does not exceed 2 mph. I will call you a liar, sir!

FrogDog

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2000
Indeed, but the question is how far is that? I don't believe you if you claim that your average speed does not exceed 2 mph. I will call you a liar, sir!
It's about time!

MomAndSkoorbaby

Diamond Member
May 6, 2001
It's about time!

Froggie? I don't think you have any idea my friend....Nova Scotia traffic is nothing. NOTHING. What other Canadian cities have you been to? Toronto has nasty traffic...just not Nova Scotia. :)

FrogDog

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2000
Originally posted by: MrsSkoorb
It's about time!

Froggie? I don't think you have any idea my friend....Nova Scotia traffic is nothing. NOTHING. What other Canadian cities have you been to? Toronto has nasty traffic...just not Nova Scotia. :)
Good god now I've got both of the Skoobs on me! I was joking! :)

MomAndSkoorbaby

Diamond Member
May 6, 2001
Originally posted by: MrsSkoorb
It's about time!

Good god now I've got both of the Skoobs on me! I was joking! :)

Beware of the Skoorbs......:p

CraigRT

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
The worst traffic jam ever.

was a few nights ago for me
5 km/h (had to almost remain clutching for this) speeds for a couple kms driving on a pure SHEET of ice.. it was soo terrible. this is on Ontario's busiest highway. Had it actually cared about getting to where I was going that night, I would have been SO long.. but I just turned around and went home. planned the trip for another night. that was the worst i've ever seen.. soooooo slow.

Fiera

Jan 31, 2002
A friend of mine got stuck behind an overturned semi in the mountains on I-40 in Western NC. They were there for 4 hours. some poor guys ran out of gas in their truck waiting.. after about 45 minutes or so most people turned off their cars.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
LOL I noticed that traffic on the way to North Alabama Wednesday. I felt sorry for the people on the other side as I zipped along at 70 MPH. I also saw the traffic on 1-59 and I correctly guessed that it was a police chase because I saw several totalled police cars. I could only imagine if you were coming from Trussville to Pelham. You would have to take 459 or back roads.