The worst feeling in the world...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BruinEd03

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2001

<< Forgive me for asking this at perhaps a bad time, but several years ago, I read about this full body aluminum thermal suit with it's own oxygen supply. It basically keeps the person inside at 120 F even when its a thousand degrees on the exterior. How come all fire departments don't have atleast a couple of these? No doubt these would go a long way to keeping more firefighters safe? >>

sad but i'll bet most places can't afford to buy those suits.

-Ed

LadyNiniane

Feb 16, 2001

<< Forgive me for asking this at perhaps a bad time, but several years ago, I read about this full body aluminum thermal suit with it's own oxygen supply. It basically keeps the person inside at 120 F even when its a thousand degrees on the exterior. How come all fire departments don't have atleast a couple of these? No doubt these would go a long way to keeping more firefighters safe? >>

The suits you are referring to are used primarily in outside situations, such as forest fires and refineries. Their primary purpose is to provide a &quot;safe haven&quot; to hide in until a fire passes an area when a sudden wind shift blocks an escape route.

They are not designed to be used in tightly confined spaces, such as a hallway of a building nor would they provide adequate protection when the fire remains around someone rather than moving on past.

dogbite, I add my condolences for you and your colleagues, and the family and other friends of the firefighter who lost his life.

Lady Niniane