The world's most bootlegged mp3 is:_______?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

acemcmac

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
Originally posted by: FFMCobalt
The one mp3 that's the most bootlegged? I'd probably guess *.mp3

C'mon man, I really want to know... I can't possibly be the first person to have ever wondered this....

apac

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2003
Hey Ya by Outkast is probably up there. Basically anything at the top of the charts.

drum

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2003
Originally posted by: MaxDSP
Originally posted by: TommyVercetti
Ace of Base - I saw the sign

Look at anyone's collection, that song will be in there.

:eek:...guilty

surprisingly i don't have it either, i'm guessing something by mettalica simply because of napster

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Originally posted by: TommyVercetti
Ace of Base - I saw the sign

Look at anyone's collection, that song will be in there.

LOL! I remember when that song first hit Top 40 radio. Pretty good song! Course, I remember back then Top 40 also had stuff like Counting Crows, RHCP, Aerosmith to name a few.

<-- Feelin' old!

SinnerWolf

Dec 30, 2000
Eminem? not even close.
best bet would be a hit by Michael Jackson or Madonna. Simply because they span generations, have 20+ years on most artists, and are HUGE in other countries despite our recent lack of interest in them. If you were talking solely the U.S., probably something by Spears or Elvis.

TechnoKid

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2001
So far YMCA is at 500+ users...using a search for *.mp3 and a bit rating of at least 128.

Skyclad1uhm1

Lifer
Aug 10, 2001
Nothing recent, most songs are only popular for a short period of time. Enter Sandman has a chance of being first, otherwise 80s or earlier.

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
Whatever mp3s are included with a base install of windows XP :p

You can narrow it down some though. Who are the largest users of P2P networks and what music do they usually like?

TuxDave

Lifer
Oct 8, 2002
Oh come on... #1 bootlegged song is 'C is for Cookie'. Every engineer has to play that song before an exam.

C is for cookie... and that's good enough for me!

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: Skyclad1uhm1
Nothing recent, most songs are only popular for a short period of time. Enter Sandman has a chance of being first, otherwise 80s or earlier.

I'd say not. It's most likely from the 90s. Something that's been popular for a long time, and that young people like. How many 50 year olds download music? How many 14 year olds?

styrafoam

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2002
I remember reading in the Napster heyday that the most shared song was Billy Joel - Piano Man. I'm sure that info is long since outdated, but a heck of a lot of songs were traded on Napster.

Snapster

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2001
Queen - We are the champions

Or something like that, it'll be an old classic.......maybe even a christmas song! :p

daveman

Golden Member
Apr 2, 2001
Originally posted by: ed21x
Baby Got Back - Weird Al

I was thinking Baby Got Back also, but not the wierd Al version. I cant remember the black dudes name that did the original one. Wierd Al did a paroty song to it talking about white girls flat asses.