The World

SlickWilly

Banned
Oct 30, 1999
Why do you think we are here? I sometimes wonder. I want to look at this planet from space so I can see how fragile life is. Do you think people underappreciate life? When you hear about some guy killing another man over a hockey game dispute, do you REALLY see what went wrong? I don't think too many people REALLY give a crap. Look at all forms of other species on this planet and you won't find a single one which kills another of it's kind in cold blood, unless it is a mating ritual or feeding (Thanks Russ :)). Humans, with their intelligence, are destroying this planet. It makes me sick.

Russ

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

<< Look at all forms of other species on this planet and you won't find a single one which kills another of it's kind in cold blood >>

Wrong. Many kill their young and eat them.

Russ, NCNE

Imaginer

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
This world sucks.

People want power. Money is the main source of power. Power hungry people tend to only concentrate on money the most. They fail to see everything but from a top down approach of life. Therefore, most everyone is ignorant and expect that problems can be fixed with a toss of the dollars and tada! Quick fix!

The culture of today like pop culture is full of trash. Junk food, bad music, crazy trends in expensive clothes. And the expenses on the bigger, badder, and cooler things. It is materialistic now and it also makes me sick. No appreciation in the simple things such as the air, the trees, and such.

People are generally protective of their own selves. They tend to follow opinions like a flock of sheep.

Whatever! This place sucks.

Imaginer

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999

<< Quite down and join the other minions in the trenches >>

That line contains so much of what I think. We tend to become something robot like in consuming everything according to the economic system with little freedom to think from time to time. The only thoughts that churn out are something to do with money. There is no other time because a job would take it up and on the times where we are free to do whatever, we are resting and we tend not to think about anything else because we want time off. And people do not think outside their role for once...

Geez must be my thoughts again.

SlickWilly

Banned
Oct 30, 1999
This damn race will never end. Day by day we waste our lives pursuing happiness which we will never truly achieve. By the time we &quot;think&quot; we've achieved it, we'll be too damn old to know what to do with it.

BOYCOTT MONEY!

OutlawStar

Jul 7, 2000
hmmm questioning our worth? Something that happens far to often in our day and age.

SlickWilly, I agree that many people do not seem to appreciate life but me must remember that the stuff that makes up the 'quality' of life, the redeeming elements toward which every human works is vastly different. Some of us are truely world weary and must redifine what gives us pleasure. I do not think one man's enjoyment of baroquean classical is any more creditable than another man's love of baseball.

I believe we as a whole are becoming more and more complex creatures. Trees, water, the study of moonlight upon water, and other such things are benifical to the absract dreamer or storyteller amoung us, but hardly useful to those supporting the infastructure of our world. Remember the mantle of progress that we as a species have taken upon ourselves. While the qaulity of life upon our planet day is questionable, we have explored truths unimagineable by past generations. We no longer fear the mystery of night, and we have the ability and means to defeat diease and combat natural disasters.

It is normal for some of us to become disillusioned by the things we see in our industrialized nations. But, as you look upon all that you think is ugly, or upon all that displeases or depresses you, remember that only you have the ability to have such feelings. As a rational person, you have a very special gift of interospection that allows for the very drepressed nature that you find yourself in.

If you'll excuse me, I have to prepare for my daily expedition to gather powernuts and moneyberries.

Stosh

Platinum Member
Oct 13, 1999
There are a lot of good things in the world. You just have to look for them. Family and kids come to mind. I just love spending time with my son. Last weekend we went to the carnival. (He was thrilled when he won a 5' plastic alien.) The weekend before we went to the beach. I buried him up to his shoulders in the sand. Before that, the water park. A couple of weeks before that we went fishing. Caught a couple of catfish and an eel out of the Patuxant river. We didn't keep them, it was just fun catching them.

I'm materialistic. I like my computer network, my TV, and my Satellite dish. But I also get pleasure from simple things too. The worlds not a bad place, it's what you make out of your own world thats important.

desy

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2000
I've found the sooner you realize you only exist in your own brain and happiness is basically satisfying your own selfish desires. Face it, its when your needs are met that you are happy, wheather its pysical or mental. Whenever I fight with my wife I look at why did it upset me and time after time it has to do with what I want much less to do with whatever she did. Then you look at why it bothers you and its either selfishness or fear.
If your sick you wish to be healthy, if your poor to be richer, rich to have better relationships, empty inside looking for God or purpose.

As soon as I accepted fate, God , Karma and how I react to whatever life throws is basically a construct of my own mind I can find a level of happiness or comfort in everything. I've been sick, lost jobs, lost Love, its all mental.

I think now that as humans we have gotten past basic survival level existance and our brains have the freedom to build a life or world all of its own