The Witcher

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

userman

Banned
Mar 7, 2005
Originally posted by: skace
Originally posted by: homercles337
It seems that the demo has an uncensored version too. Did i read this right? If i decide to pick this up where can i find the uncensored version. This US versus EU censoring is lame. Also, has it been confirmed that the disc security is *not* securom? I think someone posted saying it was TAGS or something.

gogamer.com

Thats where I got mine.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
I'm trying the demo and having a bit of problem getting use to the controls - which works better - the mouse or keyboard w/a/s/d method? (I've played nwn1/nwn2 (all expansions for both) in the past so i'm used to this type of game but something is doesnt' quite feel right (btw I prefer nwn1 camera >>> to nwn2 - not sure how they broke something they finally fixed).

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
I think I will buy this game tomorrow. Can someone tell me what the difference is between the censored version and uncensored version? And where can i get the uncensored version? I'm a fucking adult, I don't need Big Brother censoring my shit.

ITPaladin

Golden Member
Dec 16, 2003
Originally posted by: StinkyPinky
I think I will buy this game tomorrow. Can someone tell me what the difference is between the censored version and uncensored version? And where can i get the uncensored version? I'm a fucking adult, I don't need Big Brother censoring my shit.

hmmm...

how about reading the posts above yours.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
Originally posted by: ITPaladin

hmmm...

Don't see it. What am I missing here?

userman

Banned
Mar 7, 2005
Originally posted by: ITPaladin

hmmm...

Don't see it. What am I missing here?

Tits, gore and the witcher saying fuck.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
I'm trying the demo and having a bit of problem getting use to the controls - which works better - the mouse or keyboard w/a/s/d method? (I've played nwn1/nwn2 (all expansions for both) in the past so i'm used to this type of game but something is doesnt' quite feel right (btw I prefer nwn1 camera >>> to nwn2 - not sure how they broke something they finally fixed).

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
I installed the new 1.2 patch which is around 113mb,improvements in game are slightly shorter loading times,game seems bit more snappier however I still get the random crash when opening inventory etc in full screen mode,so back to windowed mode for me(where its rock stable).

userman

Banned
Mar 7, 2005
Originally posted by: Mem
I installed the new 1.2 patch which is around 113mb,improvements in game are slightly shorter loading times,game seems bit more snappier however I still get the random crash when opening inventory etc in full screen mode,so back to windowed mode for me(where its rock stable).

I am reinstalling the game. I patched and witcher.exe dies.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Originally posted by: userman

You mean you can't run Witcher.exe?..try playing game via DVD disk,ie open DVD bay the game is in ,close DVD bay and when Witcher menu comes up try playing from there.

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001

:( Sad to hear that. I'll post some results later. Really expecting a big improvement in load times and memory usage similar to some of the LOTRO patches. Transitions from outdoor to indoor are instantaneous, but really slow from indoor/outdoor even though the HDD isn't doing anything.

userman

Banned
Mar 7, 2005

You mean you can't run Witcher.exe?..try playing game via DVD disk,ie open DVD bay the game is in ,close DVD bay and when Witcher menu comes up try playing from there.

Witcher starts gets past the loading screens and then dies. I disabled the screens and it still dies.
When I check taskman is shows that the exe has stopped responding.

AntiFreze

Golden Member
Oct 23, 2007
So the demo is running very choppy for me (i have a low-end system). Will the new 1.2 patch run it faster if I buy the full version?

athlon x2 3600+
nVidia 7600GT 256mb
1GB of PC23500 Ram

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Originally posted by: AntiFreze
So the demo is running very choppy for me (i have a low-end system). Will the new 1.2 patch run it faster if I buy the full version?

athlon x2 3600+
nVidia 7600GT 256mb
1GB of PC23500 Ram

1GB might be your problem(Witcher likes 2GB-4GB),but the patch makes the game slightly better speed/loading wise for me,anyway you can tweak the video settings in games menu to get best performance for your PC.

AntiFreze

Golden Member
Oct 23, 2007
good, cause im going to buy another 1-2GB to toss in there. cant remember if I have 2 or 4 slots for memory though

jandrews

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2007
This game must be getting pirated like crazy. I installed it and you dont even need a cd key at all, weird.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
played the demo last night. seems like it could havea good story, despite the cheesy dialog.
i didn't care for the combat though.

jandrews

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2007
Originally posted by: pontifex
played the demo last night. seems like it could havea good story, despite the cheesy dialog.

lol pontiflex doesnt like something omg wowwiee anyway, apparently the combat gets much richer further down the road. I agree that it is lacking in the beginning, I prefer a little more skill oriented tactical combat.

userman

Banned
Mar 7, 2005
Originally posted by: jandrews

lol pontiflex doesnt like something omg wowwiee anyway, apparently the combat gets much richer further down the road. I agree that it is lacking in the beginning, I prefer a little more skill oriented tactical combat.

Chapter 2 and on, combat gets better!

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
Hey folks (sorry for the spam but i'd really like some input :) )

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: jandrews

lol, oh look, another douchebag on a forum keeps some stupid untrue belief alive! :roll:

oh, and my name doesn't have an f-ing L in it. at least get that right...