The Witcher

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Sureshot324

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2003
Originally posted by: Mem
Originally posted by: njdevilsfan87
Originally posted by: Sureshot324
I'm still in act 1 and I like the game so far, but I am a little disappointed with the combat. All you do is click click click click.... The dodge moves look cool, but there doesn't seem to be much point in doing them, because by the time the dodge animation completes, you're surrounded by enemies again and getting hit. Then again, I've been disappointed with the combat of pretty much every 3rd person melee action rpg I've played. Why can't developers spend some extra time to make a really deep combat system for these games? Maybe I should get a PS2 and give God of War a try.

Try hitting a-a, d-d, s-s or w-w to get better up close control of your dodge moves.

I use dodge a few times and don't forget your magic skills that can make a big difference.

My point was that the dodge animations just take too long to finish to be very useful. The signs are cool but overpowered. Knocking down everyone within 180 degrees in front of you = too easy.

AMDZen

Lifer
Apr 15, 2004
So is this game out? I haven't seen it, but all these posts of people that have played it - are you all from EU or? Is this game just not out in the states?

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I saw over at NVnews that a demo of The Witcher is now available link. .

Awesome, thanks for the heads up! Marked for Tuesday. I've been wanting to try this game!

KT

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Originally posted by: AMDZen
So is this game out? I haven't seen it, but all these posts of people that have played it - are you all from EU or? Is this game just not out in the states?

It's available in USA and Europe.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Originally posted by: AMDZen

It's available in USA and Europe.

Is Russia counted as Europe or Asia, I think there was a Russian version released as well.

MTDEW

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
IMO this is EASILY one of the best games of the year.

I simply cannot understand why the reviews dont show it.

Although it gets GOOD reviews, this game should be getting GREAT reviews!

And even be a contender for game of the year.

The writing , acting, story and gameplay are outstanding.

Heck the only thing i could even think to say bad about the game was the load times.

If you dont own this already, i suggest you buy it, you wont regret it.

coloumb

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: MTDEW

Heck the only thing i could even think to say bad about the game was the load times.

/agree - wish they'd get patch 1.2 out - supposedly it should fix loading times, bugs, crashes, etc...

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: coloumb
Originally posted by: MTDEW

/agree - wish they'd get patch 1.2 out - supposedly it should fix loading times, bugs, crashes, etc...

i am simply waiting for the patch to play it ... slow loading times and irritating bugs *ruined* Gothic3 for me .... and NWN2 ... :(

i learned to wait for some things ...
... good things ... cheaper ... fixed ... ya know
:D

MTDEW

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
I only encountered 1 bug throughout this entire game and it wasnt anything major especially for a game this size.
And i doubt a patch will do a whole lot for load times, but we'll see.

But believe me, this game is nowhere near as buggy as NWN2 or Gothic 3 were.

Not even close.

I even played the 1st 3/4 of The Witcher in Vista 64, then moved it to Winxp 32bit and finished the game and never had a single crash or lockup. ( i was tired of dual booting back and forth to play other games i had installed on XP...ie: Crysis)

I just read the Games For Windows magazine's Witcher review and all i have to say is, i now no longer trust their reviews in the least bit.
Its like someone played the first act and decided to write a review based off of just that.

Anyway, im glad the sales are doing well and hopefully we'll see a sequel. :thumbsup:

Jumpem

Lifer
Sep 21, 2000
FYI: It seems the UK version is uncensored, so if you are still looking to get the game I would get that version.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Some more news on the 1.2 patch from The Witcher newsletter letter that I'm somehow receiving in my email now.

In the next few days we will announce the release date for the long-awaited update of The Witcher, which will include fixes for several issues. We have been working hard on this patch since the game?s release and the day-one 1.1 patch. The most important changes include the reduction of loading and saving times, many improvements in saving/loading mechanics, as well as further improvement of game stability and removal of various bugs. Patch will be available for download from The Witcher registration page!

userman

Banned
Mar 7, 2005
Originally posted by: Bateluer
Some more news on the 1.2 patch from The Witcher newsletter letter that I'm somehow receiving in my email now.

In the next few days we will announce the release date for the long-awaited update of The Witcher, which will include fixes for several issues. We have been working hard on this patch since the game?s release and the day-one 1.1 patch. The most important changes include the reduction of loading and saving times, many improvements in saving/loading mechanics, as well as further improvement of game stability and removal of various bugs. Patch will be available for download from The Witcher registration page!

WOOT!

Judgement

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
I need someone to compare this game to another PC RPG released in the last 10 years so that I know what the play style is like... I've read most of the posts and it sounds like the game is worth buying but there are so many games that are "worth buying" this holiday season I will have to dig deeper.

JBT

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Originally posted by: Judgement
I need someone to compare this game to another PC RPG released in the last 10 years so that I know what the play style is like... I've read most of the posts and it sounds like the game is worth buying but there are so many games that are "worth buying" this holiday season I will have to dig deeper.

play the demo that a few people have linked to?

link

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
I noticed a bunch of people mentioned the game started crashing on them in Chapter 3. My crashing began when I triggered the rainstorm and continued into Chapter 3. I noticed that when I lowered my resolution the crashing went away completely. I don't know why I had to do this since the game wasn't running poorly, but it stopped the crashing.

userman

Banned
Mar 7, 2005
Originally posted by: skace
I noticed a bunch of people mentioned the game started crashing on them in Chapter 3. My crashing began when I triggered the rainstorm and continued into Chapter 3. I noticed that when I lowered my resolution the crashing went away completely. I don't know why I had to do this since the game wasn't running poorly, but it stopped the crashing.

I killed shadows and it has not crashed. That was about 15-20 hours ago and it runs smooth and nothing has fucked up again.

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
Originally posted by: novasatori
Yeah the combat system is a bit weak. The collision system can get a bit annoying too, when you get pinned between the invisible boundary and monsters. First time I had a problem with this was the salamandra's abandoned house.
Ya I tend to agree here. They could've done a LOT more with the combat system, but instead its very vanilla with choosing your stance then clicking based on slightly different timings to come up with combos. Anyone remember the Eidos game Revenant? Now that was an awesome combat system. I've yet to see any 3rd person/isometric POV game that has as good a combat system as that game had.

I would've rather seen a combat system that allowed you to mix attacks between Strong/Fast/Group without changing stance based on your opponents vulnerability state to come up with combos. Would have been much more involved and responsive imo. Currently its like a free shot on you any time you switch stances mid-combat, or worst, switch weapons.

The skill branches are really pretty basic and linear. Basic idea is build up one sword-tree to max, then it becomes useless for awhile at which point you build up the other tree. There's very little customization involved because each stance needs to be built up so it works out that your build is very linear and pre-determined for the most part.

Lastly, the game isn't very weapon/gear focused at all, which may be good for some but a negative for others. Non-Witcher weapons are pretty much useless and Witcher sword upgrades are kinda few and far between (so far anyways, I'm only on Chapter 3).

To me its kind of a combination of Revenant and BG. I never played Oblivion for various reasons so no comparison there. The rich story, character development, interaction and drop-down dialogue menus remind me of BG. The combat system and POV remind me of Revenant although Revenant did it so much better.

One thing that kinda bugs me is this game is actually really light on combat so far (about 1/2 way through). I think that's to get you away from doing too much of it because its actually quite mundane and boring. Its nice in some cases because you don't have to mindlessly clear countless mobs when you're trying to advance quests, but at the same time, even dungeons and such where you expect to fight may only have a dozen mobs or so.

The game presentation overall though is really slick and the artistic direction is top-notch. Some of the controls, menu interactions, interface etc. could use tweaking but overall its a very good game and a fun gaming experience. If you enjoy rich story-driven RPGs with immersive graphics/environments and a great soundtrack its well worth the $50. If you like lots of action and an emphasis on items/loot you probably won't enjoy it as much.

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
Originally posted by: userman
Originally posted by: skace

I killed shadows and it has not crashed. That was about 15-20 hours ago and it runs smooth and nothing has fucked up again.

I've had a two lock-ups when zoning in about 40 hours or so of play-time. In between sessions I just minimize the game and haven't had problems resuming or come back to the PC being locked up, so hopefully the next patch that addresses load times and memory clear this up. I've noticed in Chapter 3 everything can slow down to a crawl though, then speed back up which can definitely be fixed with improved memory management in the next patch. Haven't needed to adjust settings and running it now at 1920x1200 with everything maxed out.

But ya the long-ish load times are kinda inexplicable with this game since the my HDD isn't doing anything between transitions. Transitions from outdoor > indoor is really fast, but indoor > outdoor take a long time. I guess its because there's so many non-static objects with their own branches and AI in the outdoor environments. More RAM doesn't make it go away, although it may help. I have noticed that the game seems to be very CPU intensive. With a C2D its using 100% of 1 core and 70-80% of the 2nd core for a total utilization of 75-90%. I've also noticed that the app sometimes hangs on transitions (not responding) and then recovers, so hopefully this is fixed in the next update.

homercles337

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2004
It seems that the demo has an uncensored version too. Did i read this right? If i decide to pick this up where can i find the uncensored version. This US versus EU censoring is lame. Also, has it been confirmed that the disc security is *not* securom? I think someone posted saying it was TAGS or something.

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Originally posted by: chizow
Haven't needed to adjust settings and running it now at 1920x1200 with everything maxed out.

When it was crashing on me I was running at 2560x1600 everything maxed. But I've set it down to 1920x1200 and it removed my issue. It could also be a heat issue with my video cards.

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Originally posted by: homercles337
It seems that the demo has an uncensored version too. Did i read this right? If i decide to pick this up where can i find the uncensored version. This US versus EU censoring is lame. Also, has it been confirmed that the disc security is *not* securom? I think someone posted saying it was TAGS or something.

gogamer.com

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Anyone want to comment on replay value without giving any spoilers?

You can 'choose sides' per say, although I don't know how much of an impact it has on the game.