The Witcher

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Pepsei

Lifer
Dec 14, 2001
finally beat the game, boy, the ending is a big surprise! i wish we have a spoiler function.

this is a very good game.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Interesting game. Got drunk with a wealthy merchant and ended up staggering out of his house to battle giant plants. :p Need to find this 'old mill' after sunset now, the only mill I can find is locked at night . . .

Dethfrumbelo

Golden Member
Nov 16, 2004
Hopefully 1.2 will be coming out next week. I'd like to give it a 2nd play-through, after I'm done with Grim Fandango.

Worthington

Golden Member
Apr 29, 2005
Originally posted by: Bateluer
Interesting game. Got drunk with a wealthy merchant and ended up staggering out of his house to battle giant plants. :p Need to find this 'old mill' after sunset now, the only mill I can find is locked at night . . .

Thats right mill Bat.. jsut get there around 8:30. you don't have to go inside.. in fact you can't

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Worthington

Thats right mill Bat.. jsut get there around 8:30. you don't have to go inside.. in fact you can't

I got it, showed up at 2100 and hooked up with Vesna. :)

MTDEW

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
I missed Venesa i moved the main plot along before i found out that i could meet her on any night , not just the next night after i walked her home.

Stinks... i wanted to get ALL the ladies cards. :|

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
So . . . some tactical advice . . . potential spoilers follow . . .
I think thats enough.

After I enter the Salamandra Hideout, clear it, find Alvin and Abigail. I 'converse' with Abigail, then exit the cave to the raving mob. I exposed their arguments and sided with the less guilty Abigail over the Reverend. After some really badass dialogue, Abigail and I confront the Beast. Where I've repeatedly had my butt handed to me. I have the Aard sign and the Igni<?>(fire) sign, but I'm not sure if the fire even affects the Beast. The Aard sign does work to push the Beast back, though only briefly. I can easily handle the Barghests with group combat style, they go down fast. Whats really killing me is the pain effects caused by the Beast. When incapacitated by pain, the Barghests and the Beast tear me to pieces. Any way to reduce the pain effects?

Secondly, can Abigail actually die during the fight? I've seen her knocked to the ground, but get back up after a few seconds. She also casts heal spells, though not nearly quickly enough.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
So . . . some tactical advice . . . potential spoilers follow . . .
I think thats enough.

After I enter the Salamandra Hideout, clear it, find Alvin and Abigail. I 'converse' with Abigail, then exit the cave to the raving mob. I exposed their arguments and sided with the less guilty Abigail over the Reverend. After some really badass dialogue, Abigail and I confront the Beast. Where I've repeatedly had my butt handed to me. I have the Aard sign and the Igni<?>(fire) sign, but I'm not sure if the fire even affects the Beast. The Aard sign does work to push the Beast back, though only briefly. I can easily handle the Barghests with group combat style, they go down fast. Whats really killing me is the pain effects caused by the Beast. When incapacitated by pain, the Barghests and the Beast tear me to pieces. Any way to reduce the pain effects?

Secondly, can Abigail actually die during the fight? I've seen her knocked to the ground, but get back up after a few seconds. She also casts heal spells, though not nearly quickly enough.

Read this ,easy way to beat the beast.(Spoilers) ,btw she won't die only KOed.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Glad I saved right before I initiated dialogue with Abigail in the cave. :)

Edit - Well, that only took a dozen reloads or so before the stun actually worked.

Pepsei

Lifer
Dec 14, 2001
Originally posted by: MTDEW
I missed Venesa i moved the main plot along before i found out that i could meet her on any night , not just the next night after i walked her home.

i think vesna is the best, i love the "sound effect".

and you can't get all the cards without playing multiple times.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Pepsei
Originally posted by: MTDEW

i think vesna is the best, i love the "sound effect".

and you can't get all the cards without playing multiple times.

Does each Hooker in Vizima count as a separate card?

Incidentally, I think I can honestly say that The Witcher is one of the best RPGs I've played since BG2 in 2000. All thats missing is a party.

The game has been pretty solid for me as well, only two 'crashes'.

Ebnrne

Sep 29, 2007
If they can iron out the load time problems in the 1.2 patch, this game will honestly have my vote for best RPG since BG2 as well. I truly hope this gets RPG of the year, otherwise it will end up like Planescape, not receiving the credit it deserves in its time.

novasatori

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
This is one of the first rpgs I've played in awhile where I've actually be interested in the story and don't just click through it all.

However my bags are getting full of books, after you've read em can you just drop them?

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Originally posted by: novasatori

However my bags are getting full of books, after you've read em can you just drop them?

I've been leaving mine in the 'bank' at inns.

novasatori

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003

I've been leaving mine in the 'bank' at inns.

I just went ahead and sold them.

novasatori

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
Can you always access items in storage?

I didn't really use it in chapter I, but I wanted to know if I should take stuff out before finishing chapter II

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Can you always access items in storage?

I didn't really use it in chapter I, but I wanted to know if I should take stuff out before finishing chapter II

Yes you can access storage at any inn ,regardless of chapters.

WraithETC

Golden Member
May 15, 2005
The game started crashing very frequently for me starting at chapter 3 :( before that it almost never happend.

novasatori

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
Originally posted by: WraithETC
The game started crashing very frequently for me starting at chapter 3 :( before that it almost never happend.

I haven't crashed at all, then as soon as I started chapter 3 I crashed in the first 2 minutes of running around the trade quarter.

Good time for a break I guess.

Sureshot324

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2003
I'm still in act 1 and I like the game so far, but I am a little disappointed with the combat. All you do is click click click click.... The dodge moves look cool, but there doesn't seem to be much point in doing them, because by the time the dodge animation completes, you're surrounded by enemies again and getting hit. Then again, I've been disappointed with the combat of pretty much every 3rd person melee action rpg I've played. Why can't developers spend some extra time to make a really deep combat system for these games? Maybe I should get a PS2 and give God of War a try.

novasatori

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
Yeah the combat system is a bit weak. The collision system can get a bit annoying too, when you get pinned between the invisible boundary and monsters. First time I had a problem with this was the salamandra's abandoned house.

njdevilsfan87

Platinum Member
Apr 19, 2007
Originally posted by: Sureshot324
I'm still in act 1 and I like the game so far, but I am a little disappointed with the combat. All you do is click click click click.... The dodge moves look cool, but there doesn't seem to be much point in doing them, because by the time the dodge animation completes, you're surrounded by enemies again and getting hit. Then again, I've been disappointed with the combat of pretty much every 3rd person melee action rpg I've played. Why can't developers spend some extra time to make a really deep combat system for these games? Maybe I should get a PS2 and give God of War a try.

Try hitting a-a, d-d, s-s or w-w to get better up close control of your dodge moves.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Originally posted by: njdevilsfan87
Originally posted by: Sureshot324

Try hitting a-a, d-d, s-s or w-w to get better up close control of your dodge moves.

I use dodge a few times and don't forget your magic skills that can make a big difference.