the witcher sucks

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

motsm

Golden Member
Jan 20, 2010
Why is everyone in this thread acting as if their opinion is fact? Even by internet standards, you people are acting silly.

It's not possible it's a fine game that isn't to their personal taste, it must be the worst game ever created.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
Anyone who denies that the combat system is lacking and mediocre at best is blind.

click-click-click does not make a good combat system, even when the clicks are timed

this is the one thing I hope they improve on in The Witcher 2

...which is why the Diablo series was an utter failure.

oh and Dumac/Mem? Get a room already. :p

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000

No need ,I have finished with this thread and ignoring you know whom.

I have found some good threads where its nice with some great members and no arguments :).

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005

Diablo's combat was so much more involved than The Witcher's. There was a lot more to consider, and a variety to spells to use, classes, skill trees, equip types, etc.

In The Witcher, every scenario prompts the same response from the player. It could simply be automated, and there would be no difference...

Patrick Wolf

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2005
as an avid RPG fan, who played through BG1-2+exps,IWD1-2,NWN1-2+exps,M&M6-7-8,Morrowind,Oblivion,FO2-3,VtM:R, and so many more;
you cant say i dont have an attention span either, i depleted 100% of all planets in all galaxies in ME2, i can play through an entire CIV game in one day, play huge HoMM3 maps, played countless of TBS RPGs.

I must say, The Witcher is just bad.

i killed the cockatrice in the sewers, quit, uninstalled.

There's nothing special about Oblivion. It's interesting for awhile but gets very monotonous. The story is interesting enough to keep going and you can choose a wider variety of ways to play than the witcher but once finished I didn't find any reason to go another round with a spell caster or ranged. Went melee first time. Tried the others but I had already done everything so no point to keep going.

Not saying I didn't enjoy it. I did, I just find the witcher far more interesting. I played Morrowwind only a tiny bit and found it completely uninteresting.

Last edited:

Patrick Wolf

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2005
Like it matters? We could be talking about potatoes at this point. Thread shouldn't even exist. I was comparing Oblivion to The Witcher, hence I was talking about Witcher. ;)

Last edited:

spaceman

Lifer
Dec 4, 2000
anyhoo
i think were nearing a consensus that witcher is a real barf bag
as much as people like pat would like to wish this thread away to the proverbial cornfield, you really have to question the motivation of some who support this game
i mean
i wouldnt go order a leg of lamb at a diner becuase i think its terrible absoolutely disgusting, however if i were dining with someone who did..it wouldnt make a difference on as to how i percieve them if they ordered a leg of lamb.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
Wtf? What an immature thread.

"It's crap"
"No it's not"
"Yes it is"
"No it's not"

People have different tastes and The Witcher is one of those games you either like or hate.

Patrick Wolf

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2005
There ya go spaceman. Another that agrees with me. Your thread is what sucks. Not the game. Maybe if your OP wasn't so douchey there would've been a more civil discussion. Better luck next time.

spaceman

Lifer
Dec 4, 2000
now youre just trolling pat
:D
i find it hilarious u come in like some pseudo authority/critic on everything from post structure to thread content acting all offended becuase we decide to pick apart your binky apparently
who are you exactly to tell anyone anything?

nobody.

Last edited:

adlep

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2001
There ya go spaceman. Another that agrees with me. Your thread is what sucks. Not the game. Maybe if your OP wasn't so douchey there would've been a more civil discussion. Better luck next time.

Totally agree...
And the Witcher doesn't suck - you just failed to understand it. Hey, what can I say...just treat the Witcher as a piece of classical music or jazz for that matter :)

spaceman

Lifer
Dec 4, 2000
im not going to do a head coutn..plenty in this thread think it sucks
so there it is
start a witcher is great thread
im just glad we got it out there
away from the glimmering reviews and to honesty..we find a game that plenty of people think.....sucks!!!
the witcher is an onion in an orange skin

Patrick Wolf

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2005
who are you exactly to tell anyone anything?

nobody.
Right back at ya, slick. Couldn't care less about your post structure. Only that you state your opinions like they're facts. Nobody gives a rat's ass what you think when you post like that. And what consensus? If you're trying to prove the point that most people think it sucks, make a poll.

spaceman

Lifer
Dec 4, 2000
your suggestions are as tiresome as your trolling pat
i dont demand anything of anyone
thatd be you in this thread over and over again
the witcher sucks becuase its my thread and i say it sucks
dont like it? too bad
:D

Patrick Wolf

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2005
Now you're just grasping. I've demanded nothing of anyone and you know it. I'm only trying to help you be less of a douche. And I apologize for trolling, just couldn't resist the bait. You only made this thread to find people who agree with you so your hatred for this highly rated game could be justified. Which is even more evident by posting lame youtube videos and linking to a couple negative reviews you probably had to dig for. You want to discuss The Witcher? Fine. It's great and here's hundreds of people that agree. And to them $5 for it is a steal.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/thewitcherenhancededition/players.html?tag=scoresummary;user-score

See now you could learn a lot from Shamus. See how he clearly defines his opinion without resorting to blanket statements like "sucks" "boring" "waste of time". And he doesn't even mention the combat you seem so hung up on. While I disagree with him, I applaud the criticism as it's well-defined and written as purely subjective.

thats all
thx

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
I do like and enjoy RPGs, I just don't find The Witcher to be enjoyable, and doubt I'll ever finish it.

Some of my favorite games are RPGs: System Shock 2, Deus Ex (played through 3 times), FFVII, Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines (played through 3 times), Ultima: Quest of the Avatar (NES), and SW:KotoR.

While NWN isn't a favorite, I did enjoy it enough to finish it. Other RPGs that I played and finished, but wasn't particularly fond of are: Fallout 3, S.T.A.L.K.E.R.:SoC, SW:KotoR 2, and Bioshock.

Other RPGs I hated and couldn't finish include Morrowind, FFVIII, and Deus Ex: Invisible War. One RPG that I kinda enjoyed but didn't finish (despite starting it twice) is Arx Fatalis.

It has nothing to do with whether you like RPGs or not, it has to do with the fact that The Witcher simply isn't fun.

If you liked Arx Fatalis you might want to check out Might and Magic: Dark Messiah...its more action oriented than Arx Fatalis but its made by the same company and clearly was inspired by Arx Fatalis.

Daverino

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2007
Witcher was a great game. Combat was much more complex than just click click click. Using the right spells at the right time was critical, as was switching weapons and stances. Going for the top combo could also be an awful idea (Blutzuegers, for example) because you'd be killed in the process. Dodging and rolling were critical as well. Honestly, I don't know what game people say they were playing when they say it was boring combat.

On top of that, the plot was great. Alchemy, although tedious, was also great. You never had to wonder whether you should use a great potion because the next battle might be tougher. Just make what you want/need based on your style.

OP is on a vendetta here too. . . anyone that responds that many times to their own thread is just grandstanding, in my opinion.