the witcher sucks

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Arglebargle

Dec 2, 2006
I gave The Witcher like 4-5 hours and I just can't like it. The controls and camera are insufferable and the combat feels really shallow, I finally finished off Dragon Age and was really looking for another RPG to dig into but this isn't it. The voice acting is pretty bad too and the conversations feel very grating because of it.

The story I'm guessing I didn't get to see much of, but it didn't grab me at all, probably because the characters showed absolutely no emotion whatsoever. "Leo's dead." "We should avenge him." "Yes." "Let's go kill those bandits. "That will avenge him." "Then we'll kill more bandits to get our stuff back." "Okay."

The only redeeming factor I can find is that I like the premise of playing a Witcher, it is cool, and that the opening cinematic is pretty sweet.

Just really disappointed, and puzzled at what actually got this game a good reputation.

The English localization was terrible, if you don't have the EE version, and bad to mediocre, if you do. I played it in Polish, with subtitles, and it was a much better experiance. Of course I was prepped for this by watching lots of Hong Kong action films.

isxis

Apr 26, 2008
ya i don't know why soooo many people love that game. i tired it and WAS NOT A FAN. But different strokes for different folks i supose. I also hated dragon age....

Kudro

Mar 29, 2008
The Witcher was one of my favorite RPG experiences in the past few years. I probably liked Witcher a little more than DA:O (which was also an excellent game), but not quite as much as the Mass Effect series. NWN (the original) and Morrowind are probably my two favorite RPGs of all time. I found Oblivion to be a bust (unmodded) and hope Bethesda makes up for it with Skyrim.

NoSoup4You

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2007
I finally decided to try this game after buying it a long time ago on a Steam sale - the game promptly crashed on me on about my fifth or sixth bandit right as the game begins. However, I'm already shocked at the "combat system" - is all you do just click on an enemy and then click again and click again, waiting for your cursor to turn color each time while performing the same exact sequence of animations each time??? Can someone confirm this and/or explain why this would actually be fun...etc. I must be missing something but I found that I'm already just about ready to uninstall it forever.

AlucardX

May 20, 2000
I finally decided to try this game after buying it a long time ago on a Steam sale - the game promptly crashed on me on about my fifth or sixth bandit right as the game begins. However, I'm already shocked at the "combat system" - is all you do just click on an enemy and then click again and click again, waiting for your cursor to turn color each time while performing the same exact sequence of animations each time??? Can someone confirm this and/or explain why this would actually be fun...etc. I must be missing something but I found that I'm already just about ready to uninstall it forever.

re combat: yes that's pretty much it. however it's not the same animation. also it goes a bit deeper with fast, strong, multi-enemy stances, then theres silver (monster) vs. steel (humans) swords you switch between. then obviously you have offense spells you can use.

heat901

Dec 17, 2009
I picked this game, the EE version, a while ago on Impulse and finally starting playing it this week due to some free time. I will say like others, this game doesn't really start to shine till the second act even though I am probably only half way through the second act. I honestly do not know why people do not like this game...its a good game, the EE version seems pretty polished (minus enemy getting stuck in places and you have to back up so you can finally hit them again) and the way you fight isn't absurdly unique though is different from the standard skill bar of skills to click/press to use. Even though I am only in the second act the story and lore seem to be getting extremely interesting and the areas to explorer are also larger. Just like any book sometimes you need to finish it to actually say it was a good book or a bad one.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
I'm about 20 some hours into the game, two months later pretty much, and probably the better part of the way through Act 2. Every now and then when I have a lull I'll start playing it again and want to shut it down almost as soon as I do, it's really the controls and the camera that kill it for me.

gothamhunter

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2010
I'm about 20 some hours into the game, two months later pretty much, and probably the better part of the way through Act 2. Every now and then when I have a lull I'll start playing it again and want to shut it down almost as soon as I do, it's really the controls and the camera that kill it for me.

You do realize you can change it between isometric and 3rd person, right? :\

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
What an odd twist for the Witcher thread, tearing apart combat. I'd say, as an RPG, combat was one of the Witcher's strongest aspects. It certainly didn't have the number of skills as Titan Quest nor the difficulty of Demon's Souls however the combat was very well rounded. Blocking was useful, the various weapon styles were useful, and you actually had to switch between sword types and find enemy weaknesses. It required some thought to be good at it.

Certainly, there is room for improvement, however it was stronger than most other RPG offerings where you only control a single character. I do hope Witcher 2 takes a page from Demon's Soul, which is probably the game it has the most in common with.

Daverino

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2007
What an odd twist for the Witcher thread, tearing apart combat. I'd say, as an RPG, combat was one of the Witcher's strongest aspects. It certainly didn't have the number of skills as Titan Quest nor the difficulty of Demon's Souls however the combat was very well rounded. Blocking was useful, the various weapon styles were useful, and you actually had to switch between sword types and find enemy weaknesses. It required some thought to be good at it.

Certainly, there is room for improvement, however it was stronger than most other RPG offerings where you only control a single character. I do hope Witcher 2 takes a page from Demon's Soul, which is probably the game it has the most in common with.

That's my memory of The Witcher as well. Fights with multiple types of enemies (monster and human) or those that would interrupt your combos gave a lot of depth to the fighting. There were many occasions where blocking and evading were just as important as timing the clicks. It wasn't rocket science deep, but it was more engaging than, say, Oblivion.

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
I gave up with The Witcher in the swamp where not a single melee combat attack would hit anything. After exhaustive research (on Witcher forums) it's turned out to be a bug that only a restart can fix... blow that is all I could say.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
I think saying Witcher's combat requires thought is giving it too much credit. It plays like a one button God of War meets Pokemon Blue. Monster? Silver. Human? Steel. Big? Strong. Little? Fast. Enemies? Multi.

It might improve later if/when you have enough talents to afford to spend into magic, but at least so far the spells seem very impotent and you can only cast maybe two of them at a time. Not to mention I can't think of but one difficult encounter yet.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
I think saying Witcher's combat requires thought is giving it too much credit. It plays like a one button God of War meets Pokemon Blue. Monster? Silver. Human? Steel. Big? Strong. Little? Fast. Enemies? Multi.

It might improve later if/when you have enough talents to afford to spend into magic, but at least so far the spells seem very impotent and you can only cast maybe two of them at a time. Not to mention I can't think of but one difficult encounter yet.

I found the push spell was pretty much a "I win" spell. You just use it to knock the enemy down, then do a finishing move while they are on the ground. It seemed to work on just about anyone. I still had a lot of fun with the game, but I didn't play through it a second time after I beat it.

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001

Well the obvious question is, what difficulty? I'd say the Witcher's combat requires more thought (however less speed) than God of War.

I'm also pretty certain your guide to weapon skills is not entirely accurate.

However, it should also be noted that I beat 90% of God of War 3 using Hade's chains and mainly the same exact combo on every encounter. And while I haven't beaten Demon's Souls yet, I've used the same attack combo for almost everything, the only difference there is that dodging becomes more important and I had to fall back on my bow at times.

kef7

Diamond Member
May 11, 2001
I'm currently playing Witcher; just starting Chapter 5.

I find the game worth playing but at times it feels too "chorelike".

The highpoint for me is the story although the cutscenes at times are so poorly done/translated it detracts from it.

My biggest gripe about it is the load times which are reallllllly long. Supposedly they were worse pre-patch which in that case I don't know how anyone could have played it.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
I picked up The Witcher during the last Steam Christmas sale, and it is now my favorite RPG ever. Immensely interesting storyline, setting, and satisfying combat. Took me about 50 hours to beat. Is it perfect? No, but still the best RPG I've ever played. Conversely, I can't stand games like Oblivion or Dragon Age because of how "generic fantasy land" they are.

Different strokes for different folks.

RockinZ28

Platinum Member
Mar 5, 2008
I FINALLY finished this game last week!

Really never play RPG's. Found the game very enjoyable, but long games always lose my attention after 10-15 hours. So it took me about 3 years to complete it, playing 3 sessions of ~14 hours. Always kept my most recent save games during hdd formats.

My biggest gripe about it is the load times which are reallllllly long. Supposedly they were worse pre-patch which in that case I don't know how anyone could have played it.

2 raptors in raid 0 handled it pretty well when the game came out, if I was using a standard hdd back them, FML.

Using a 120gb intel SSD now, makes short work of load times.

tuteja1986

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2005
so if ur thinking about buying it
dont
i did agaisnt my better judgement
it just aint fun
it blows.
thats all
thx

Err just play it for long enough and you will find why witcher is awesome RPG. It fills an gap that Dragon Age or Never Winter Night or Gothic or Elder scroll are missing. I really liked storyline and witcher 2 looks to fix any short coming of the 1st game.

ConstipatedVigilante

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2006
The combat system is pretty abysmal unless you're fighting big groups (group style is fun to watch, and spells become more useful). The story is awesome, though. And the whole potion-making system is the best I've seen in any game.

Sureshot324

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2003
To me gameplay>>>>>>>>>>>>>story so I didn't like the Witcher. I actually found the combat in Oblivion a lot more fun, especially with a mod that lets you bind multiple spells to different keys.

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
To me gameplay>>>>>>>>>>>>>story so I didn't like the Witcher. I actually found the combat in Oblivion a lot more fun, especially with a mod that lets you bind multiple spells to different keys.

Yeah, if gameplay is much, much more important than you to story, I wouldn't recommend the Witcher lol

I hope Witcher 2 had improved gameplay