The Witcher, restoring censored content and Windows 7 x64

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Alright, after pulling my hair out for the past hour trying to get this to work in Windows 7 x64, I am going to post detailed instructions on how to get the vanilla US version of The Witcher to the latest version of the Enhanced Edition with no censorship and all of the official DLC.

A $15 US vanilla censored version becomes a ~$60 UK uncensored Enhanced Edition.

Owners of the US Enhanced Edition, start at step 6

Make sure to start all of the installs / uninstalls by right clicking and running it as administrator (if UAC is enabled)
1. Install The Witcher from the DVD (the usual way)
2. Install TAGES drivers (the version that comes with the game does not work properly in Win7 x64 and you need it until you are able to install patch 1.5 (which removes DRM)):
http://www.tagesprotection.com/main.htm
3. Execute register.exe from the game's install directory to create an account and register the software. (be sure to right-click run-as administrator)
4. Launch The Witcher 1.0 vanilla to verify it works before proceeding.
5. Download EE update and English pack (these two MUST be in the same directory before you launch the updater). Run TWEE_Upgrade.exe in Windows 95 compatibility mode (right-click context menu):

The webpages are not entirely in English, just click the orange button.
EE Update:
http://www.sciagnij.pl/programy/p/Gry-Fabularne-RPG-THE_WITCHER_Wiedzmin_ENHANCED_EDITION/4432
English Language Pack:
http://www.sciagnij.pl/programy/p/Gry-Fabularne-RPG-The_Witcher_Enhanced_Edition/4396

No need to run the executable associated with the language pack, the EE installer will take care of it.

6. Install Side Effects additional content (note this can be installed with the EE in step 5 if it is in the same folder as the EE update):
http://www.sciagnij.pl/programy/p/Gry-Fabularne-RPG-TWEE_adventure_Side_Effects/4438

7. Update to version 1.5 using the following Patch (you are currently at 1.4):
http://www.sciagnij.pl/programy/p/Gry-Narzedzia_i_dodatki-Patche-The_Witcher_Patch/8902

8. Remove the TAGES drivers. You can uninstall the TAGES drivers using the same executable that installed them, assuming you have no other games installed that use it. The DRM is now GONE from the game thanks to the 1.5 patch, there is not even a CD check. But, the drivers are still on your system until you rerun the installer and remove it. If you have another game that uses TAGES and you leave the drivers installed, you might have to rename tagesclient.exe in the system folder of The Witcher to disable the CD check.

9. Restore censored content (all of the gore and cleavage you could ever want) by installing The Director's Cut Patch:
http://www.sciagnij.pl/programy/p/G...e_Witcher_Enhanced_Edition_Directors_Cut/9259

There you have it, the US censored (non-EE) original version is now the same as the UK's uncensored Enhanced Edition. I am starting to think it might have been worth it to just pay the extra money... But, I have spent far too long in AT Hot Deals for that.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Well, I found the trick to fix the problem with EAX Alchemy and this title. It is rather simple, but sloppy. It works if you run the game in administrator mode via UAC (right click, run as admin) after enabling the title through Alchemy's control panel.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
Glad you got it working! I think I have Tages removed already (was getting an error with it earlier) - had no idea I didn't need the CD though...just tried without it and it worked. :D

I also have the EE installed but had no idea about the Director's Cut...downloading that now - thanks! :D

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Looks like the latest Alchemy update does wonders for this game. You do not need to run the game as an administrator anymore to get EAX working in Windows 7.

Made a few minor tweaks to the OP to reflect my most recent install of this game. The US standard edition should be dirt cheap now, especially compared to the UK's Enhanced Edition.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Yikes, what about the US EE version with the director's cut patch? Still censored?

Negative, The Director's Cut patch restores the bodily dismemberment, extra violence, etc to the US' EE. If you have the US' EE, start at step 6.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Just out of curiosity, why was it censored in the first place? I thought that censorship in games at least in North America was minimal, or barely existent, and why was the UK version uncensored? Was it just a mishap from the developers? Or is the game that violent?

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Just out of curiosity, why was it censored in the first place? I thought that censorship in games at least in North America was minimal, or barely existent, and why was the UK version uncensored? Was it just a mishap from the developers? Or is the game that violent?

The censorship was not required by the government, it was voluntary on part of the developer. The United States brought you Postal 2 and Solider of Fortune.

What the developers of The Witcher did is basically parental controls since you can download a patch from the developer that restores the content. It is pretty gruesome, I fired it up tonight with the Directors Cut patch and the "finishing" moves involve detailed decapitation and impaling with swords, what the main character does is a bit "excessive."

Scotteq

Diamond Member
Apr 10, 2008

More than the violence: *gasp*
NUDITY!!!! Full Frontal, in a few places.
That is why it's censored in the US.

Oct 30, 2004
I know almost nothing about this game but am intrigued since it's supposed to be pretty good. It's single player only, I take it? (I'm all about online multiplayer.) How does it compare to Neverwinter Nights and Morrowind?

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
I know almost nothing about this game but am intrigued since it's supposed to be pretty good. It's single player only, I take it? (I'm all about online multiplayer.) How does it compare to Neverwinter Nights and Morrowind?

It uses a heavily modified version of NWN1's engine. It plays like a hybrid between NWN1 and Fable. But, the plot, dialog and character development is far superior to Fable and NWN1's OC (although the expansion packs are another story). They have a toolkit to develop modules with, like NWN. I think it has multiplayer as well.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
So, if I buy:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/20900/

I don't have to do any of that stuff... including removing DRM? Although, Steam technically is DRM :p.

If that includes "Side Effects," then no, you do not have to do any of that stuff to get all of the content and patches if you by EE DC. Although, you can likely save about $5 - $7 buying the retail vanilla version and following the steps. But, I think it might be worth the extra cash to avoid the hassle.

DarkForceRising

Apr 16, 2005
If I remember correctly, the Steam US version is fully updated and uncensored. But, doublechecking.....

From that page:
Experience the PC RPG of the Year (PC Gamer, GameSpy, IGN) as the developers intended in The Witcher: Enhanced Edition Director's Cut, with mature content not previously available to North American gamers.

Emphasis mine. Although, I'm not sure what Side Effects is.