The Witcher: IS there an Auto Run?

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
Ie: Like Wow (Press Numlock).

The game is all good and fun but its mind numblingly boring running across fields...I prefer to do things on my other monitors while this happens

GrantMeThePower

Platinum Member
Jun 10, 2005
No, there isn't...but you never really run that far. It isn't like WoW where you could be running for 10 min straight.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
No, there isn't...but you never really run that far. It isn't like WoW where you could be running for 10 min straight.

My thoughts exactly. When I played The Witcher I never felt the need for an auto-run. You never really have to run long distances, so I don't see the problem.

MTDEW

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
Yeah, this isnt the game for you if you don't like exploring along the way when you travel.
You'll simply miss too much stuff if you're not gathering/exploring while traveling.

And why you would want to do something else on your other monitors while playing is beyond me.

Anyway, if you like to fast travel and do other things while playing , then you are definitely playing the wrong game.
Wow and this are two completely different experiences.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
I'm pretty sure there was... But I may be wrong. I've been playing way too many games so I may be blurring some together.

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
i disagree with those that say they aren't running alot. If I have to run for more than 30 seconds to the next location, I better get an autorun toggle. I'm spending a few minutes going back and forth between locations and its pretty stupid, and I'd rather have an auto run so I don't have to actively waste my time watching the direction that geralt is going

a good example is how in "the outskirts of vizima" I'm constantly running between the right and left side of the map...and since I can't cut through the trees, I'm having to constantly circle around everywhere.

MTDEW

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
i disagree with those that say they aren't running alot. If I have to run for more than 30 seconds to the next location, I better get an autorun toggle. I'm spending a few minutes going back and forth between locations and its pretty stupid, and I'd rather have an auto run so I don't have to actively waste my time watching the direction that geralt is going

a good example is how in "the outskirts of vizima" I'm constantly running between the right and left side of the map...and since I can't cut through the trees, I'm having to constantly circle around everywhere.
As i said earlier, then you are definitely going to be in the group of people who don't like The Witcher games.
Because honestly, you're going to be running from one location to another a LOT!

For some of us, it adds to the immersion and for others, its annoying.

digitaldurandal

Golden Member
Dec 3, 2009

But there is a lot of side quests and things to find along the way, as well as the general atmosphere of the game which they worked quite a bit on. The Witcher 2 has less running around in it but I did not think that the first one was very bad about it all. Have you considered taking your ADHD medicine? :p

Seriously though if you need constant action to be entertained and cannot enjoy a few seconds of peace between action sequences then you should be playing COD. If you are looking for a fantasy version there is one called heroes of might and magic dark messiah.

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
Ugh....

I actually LIKE the game. The story is interesting, the things I can do is fun, and I like the exploration part. I've recently finished the first chapter, and I'm pretty sure I did everything there was to do and explored everything there was to explore. This completely contradicts previous statements that "Oh I'm DEFFFFINTELY not going to like this game" and that I need to be playing COD instead (which I actually have no interest in).

HOWEVER, its painfully obvious that is some of these areas they didn't think about level design and questing. This isn't a case of progressing across a map where quests naturally fit into the layout, or even a case where you have 3 main locations and the quests naturally want you move from location A to B to C; the quests constantly throw you left and right to where the majority of the time spent is running between distant locations even for something as simple as "I need to tell him/her what I've learned" and the next OBVIOUS step is going to be running all the way back to kill something else (I'm finally in the town of Vizier, and it seems everything is in a grid layout, so this may be better this time around, unless they try something else that is stupid).

If that is your definition of immersion (run by the same damn house 15 times like it is a marathon) - then you are completely missing what makes this game very interesting. I would look to a story to be the main drive of immersion, I would look to character development as being a driver of immersion, I would look the tone and atmosphere, the believability of the world given what they told me (which they do a great job with; I don't see Geralt deciding that he needs to turn into a magic pixie to escape locations, or deciding to take on 7+ heavily armed guard at once. Even with the world they have built there are still clear limitations that aren't violated) as things to determine how immersed I am in the world.

It isn't a desire to be constantly entertained, it does nothing to add immersion when the quests don't mesh well with level design. That is why I was asking about an auto-run : easily ignore the part of the game that adds 0 value to the experience so I can get some other things done in the background. Doesn't mean I'm not going to explore, open every barrel, talk to every person, etc. etc. Exploration != mundane running.

Anyways it looks like this game doesn't have one at all. I may end up looking to see if I can get some kind of sticky key working for this game...

Mike Gayner

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2007
You seriously don't spend that much timing running between locations in this game. You really need to take your medicine. Or go play COD.

MTDEW

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
Geralt doesn't own a cell phone, so he has to return to locations to report to other characters what he has learned as the plot develops.
It is part of the gameworld design.

The game wasnt designed to auto-play itself while you "do other stuff in the backround" as you describe it.

It was designed to be played when you have free time to actually just play the game.

Im sorry, but even with all the replies, you seem to be the one who is missing the point.