The Witcher 2 Has Gone Gold, Releases In 3 Weeks

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
CD Projekt RED recently announced that The Witcher 2 has gone gold, meaning the game has been finalized and is being sent to the presses. The official statement can be found here. With all the news popping up before its release, it looks like it's shaping up to be a fantastic game, and it's exciting to know it will be releasing on time.

de4SB.jpg

GKvgb.jpg

q0mLU.jpg

FoSkA.jpg

These are some of the newest screenshots I could find, posted by Rock, Paper, Shotgun. They were released along with the game's system requirements a few weeks ago. The minimum and recommended system requirements are as follows:

Miminum System Requirements:
• OS: Windows XP SP2 / Windows Vista SP2 / Windows 7 (32/64-bit)
• Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2 Ghz or AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+
• Memory: 1 GB Windows XP / 2 GB Windows Vista and Windows 7
• Video Card: 512 MB RAM, supporting Pixel Shader 3.0 (Nvidia GeForce 8800 or ATI Radeon HD3850)

Recommended System Requirements:
• OS: Windows XP SP2 / Windows Vista SP2 / Windows 7 (32/64-bit)
• Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad or AMD Phenom X4
• Memory: 3 GB Windows XP / 4 GB Windows Vista and Windows 7
• Video Card: 1 GB RAM, supporting Pixel Shader 3.0 (Nvidia GeForce GTX260 or ATI Radeon HD4850)

Additionally:
• Sound Card: compatible with DirectX 9.0c
• HDD: 16 GB of disc space
• Disc Drive: DVD x8, compatible with DVD9
• Instalation requires administrator access.
• Game supports Xbox 360 controller for Windows.

Obviously I haven't played the game yet, but I'll list some good things and bad things that I come seeing from The Witcher 2. First of all, the storyline should be amazing. One of the reasons I loved The Witcher 1 was because of it's deep and engrossing narrative, and for the sequel, it's not being dumbed down. If anything, the plot will be even more intriguing, and they're turning it up a notch with the non-linear storytelling. There are supposedly entire areas of the game you will or won't see depending on the complex moral decisions you make.

Also, the game is just plain beautiful. It's a PC exclusive, made with a brand new in-house engine (the RED engine) that was developed over the course of three years. It looks great, and I think it should run much more smoothly than The Witcher 1, which used a different engine.

The only thing I'm worried about is the combat. I was one of the few people who really enjoyed the combat in TW1, the timing mechanic was very satisfying without being mindless, and it could be made more effective by using a combination of spells or potions. Obviously there are still spells and potions in The Witcher 2, but this time, it looks like they've turned the combat into more "button mashing". This is an observation from actually watching an off-screen video of one of the devs playing an alpha version of the game, and there was a ton of mindless mouse-clicking going on. Hopefully it won't be too bad in the final version, and it will remain at least as satisfying as TW1.

Finally, CDP RED is just an awesome developer. They don't believe in making people pay for DLC and their community support is pretty awesome. TW2 can be preordered from GOG.com completely DRM-free.

I'm taking the day off work when it comes out.

Last edited:

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Only downside, the Recommended requirements are uncomfortably close to my current system specs. Need to bump up my upgrade schedule a little, methinks. :(

Thatspro

Mar 19, 2011
Only downside, the Recommended requirements are uncomfortably close to my current system specs. Need to bump up my upgrade schedule a little, methinks. :(

I'm in sort of the same situation, everythings fine(ati radeon hd 6850 gpu, 4gb ram) but the cpu is about equal is mine, maybe slightly better. (amd athlon II x4 640)

Borealis7

Platinum Member
Oct 19, 2006
will i be able use more than just one sword in this game? is my left mouse button going to commit suicide due to over-clickfesting?

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
I have this already pre-ordered from Amazon. I wanted the digital version, but none of the digital versions give you the Ultimate Swordsman suit DLC :mad:

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
will i be able use more than just one sword in this game? is my left mouse button going to commit suicide due to over-clickfesting?

Geralt typically uses two swords depending on his enemy. If your enemy is human, then you use your steel sword. If it's a monster or magical creature, then you use the silver sword.

Apparently, you will also be able to wield a host of other melee weapons, and a few ranged as well!

As for click fests, have you seen any of the combat videos? There shouldn't be as much mouse clicking as in the first game, as the combat is more strategic and interactive:

Witcher 2 combat trailer

coloumb

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Awesome - I could use some more great storytelling, combat, and a bit of casual sex on the side... :)

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
If they fixed the camera, combat, dialogue, and voice acting it might be worth playing :p

Can't be worst then DA2,I'm looking foward to this game, however I just hope my PC can run it ,if not then I have to wait for BullDozer before I decide on CPU/Board for my new PC :) .

terry107

Dec 8, 2005
This is the first game that I've pre-ordered in a long time. I love the first game and really hope the second doesn't disappoint.

Liet

Golden Member
Jun 9, 2001
Gone gold?! YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

This is one of the few new releases I'm excited about, because it's a PC game by PC devs who appreciate their PC fans because they themselves are PC fans.

Very exciting stuff! Wish I could schedule a day off like LessThanDan... :)

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008

I feel similarly. Although... I'm not worrying too much about it. I have a feeling they released the recommended system requirements under the impression that they are, in fact, sufficient to run the game reasonably well on higher detail. After all, they are the "recommended" specs.

mingsoup

Golden Member
May 17, 2006
Will buy Witcher 2, after Witcher 1 goes on sale on Steam again, I buy it and beat it. I bet a steam sale is just around the corner, for promotional purposes. I know about the GOG sale coming up, but I'd like it for my steam library.
I first tried playing Witcher 1 when it *first* released with a 7800GTX. It wasn't pleasant. I'm sure the experience would be great now. I also owe it to myself to play this game, being a PC gamer, as well as support such a bold developer.

Last edited:

zebano

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2005
I haven't beat the first one due to having other games in my queue, but the second witcher book is much worse than the first as it is clearly a setup book where we're actively waiting around for a character to grow up. I've no idea how closely the games follow the book so hopefully this isn't a problem.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
I haven't beat the first one due to having other games in my queue, but the second witcher book is much worse than the first as it is clearly a setup book where we're actively waiting around for a character to grow up. I've no idea how closely the games follow the book so hopefully this isn't a problem.

which book?

last wish was just a bunch of short stories, not necessarily connected together. blood of elves was the inspiration for the first witcher, IIRC.

zebano

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2005
which book?

last wish was just a bunch of short stories, not necessarily connected together. blood of elves was the inspiration for the first witcher, IIRC.

Good to know, thanks. I thought Blood of Elves started good then became just a setup for a sequel.

QuantumPion

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
This looks really good but I quite literally could not play the first one for 5 minutes before getting bored and uninstalling it. I was like "wow, this is the combat? lame."

If it reviews well and the story is unrelated to the first game so that I don't miss out on anything by not playing it, I may get this one.

SirStev0

Lifer
Nov 13, 2003
My burning question is whether or not I have to worry about buying the British Version or if America has grown up enough to allow me to see gratuitous animated breasts if I so choose..

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
This looks really good but I quite literally could not play the first one for 5 minutes before getting bored and uninstalling it. I was like "wow, this is the combat? lame."

If it reviews well and the story is unrelated to the first game so that I don't miss out on anything by not playing it, I may get this one.

Looks like you're in luck then. They've totally overhauled the combat system so it's nothing like TW1. I enjoyed the combat in the first game, but thankfully I've heard reports that the combat in TW2 is even more satisfying and visceral than in the first one, which is good.

I'm not sure what to tell you about the story though. You probably don't need to play the first one, but I would recommend playing it anyway just because the storyline is one of the best parts of The Witcher.

My burning question is whether or not I have to worry about buying the British Version or if America has grown up enough to allow me to see gratuitous animated breasts if I so choose..

Good news. TW2 will not experience the same censorship crap-storm that TW1 did, it will have all of the intended nudity and sex right from the getgo, and you won't have to wait for a director's cut or anything. In fact, it's the exact same game being released internationally, with no region-specific censorship. Oh, and yes, there will be plenty of nudity (NSFW).

SirStev0

Lifer
Nov 13, 2003
Looks like you're in luck then. They've totally overhauled the combat system so it's nothing like TW1. I enjoyed the combat in the first game, but thankfully I've heard reports that the combat in TW2 is even more satisfying and visceral than in the first one, which is good.

I'm not sure what to tell you about the story though. You probably don't need to play the first one, but I would recommend playing it anyway just because the storyline is one of the best parts of The Witcher.

Good news. TW2 will not experience the same censorship crap-storm that TW1 did, it will have all of the intended nudity and sex right from the getgo, and you won't have to wait for a director's cut or anything. In fact, it's the exact same game being released internationally, with no region-specific censorship. Oh, and yes, there will be plenty of nudity (NSFW).
Outfuckingstanding.