The Witcher 2: better with gamepad?

energee

Jan 27, 2011
Does a gamepad such as the Xbox 360 controller provide for a better Witcher 2 experience in your opinion? I've read some conflicting reports. And how about the original Witcher (if you've played that as well)?

Thanks for your feedback.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
The Witcher 2 works great with either input method. I personally played through the entire game with a 360 controller and it worked perfectly. Afterward I also tried the mouse+keyboard controls, and they felt very natural as well. It's completely up to you.

The Witcher 1, on the other hand, is strictly mouse+keyboard only and was not designed for a gamepad. It's a very different game, and the combat mechanics are almost completely different.

Hope that helps.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
I've played Witcher 2 before and after the EE, and its much improved in EE. No issues using keyboard mouse, probably better than a controller simply because its more precise and you have quicker access to necessary menus. With a controller, you're going to be taking your hands off the controller to use keyboard every time you need to quickly manipulate the character screen, inventory screen, alchemy screen, etc.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
I've played Witcher 2 before and after the EE, and its much improved in EE. No issues using keyboard mouse, probably better than a controller simply because its more precise and you have quicker access to necessary menus. With a controller, you're going to be taking your hands off the controller to use keyboard every time you need to quickly manipulate the character screen, inventory screen, alchemy screen, etc.

Contrastly, I had no issues navigating TW2's menus with a gamepad (save for maybe the huge inventory lists). This was before the enhanced patch.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Contrastly, I had no issues navigating TW2's menus with a gamepad (save for maybe the huge inventory lists). This was before the enhanced patch.

The inventory lists are the same post-EE and UI patches. Though, I believe there's some more filter buttons now to make it easier to sort different types.

And I didn't say it couldn't be done with a controller, its just quicker and less cumbersome with a mouse. :p There's no need to hamper the game by going to an inferior control method.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I played it with a controller because for 3rd persion action/adventure games I find it easier to work with.

lilrayray69

Apr 4, 2013
I used a 360 controller, though I honestly didn't like the game and couldn't get through like the first part/chapter/whatever...Lots of dialogue, and the combat and movement felt clunky to me

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003
I used a 360 controller, though I honestly didn't like the game and couldn't get through like the first part/chapter/whatever...Lots of dialogue, and the combat and movement felt clunky to me

o_O

Sounds like you need some Cowadooty Modern Ghost Edition in your life.

lilrayray69

Apr 4, 2013
o_O

I don't really like CoD.

I liked Skyrim/Oblivion, Crysis 1-3, Far Cry 3 & Blood Dragon, new Tomb Raider, Bioshock Infinite, The Swapper (recently played, really liked it), Dead Space 1-3, Day Z, WoW...

not many RPGs in there I suppose. I don't know, I just found The Witcher 2 to be boring. The cutscenes were a lot more interesting than the gameplay

pathos

Aug 12, 2009
o_O

All I play are rpg's, and an occaional fighter. Haven't played an fps game in probably 6 years or more.

And I'm still not that keen on the witcher series. I probably logged 15 hours on the first one, and maybe 2 hours on the second. I plan on giving the second one another shot....one day. Perhaps my opinion will change.

I guess my point is, no matter how great you think a game is, there will be plenty of people who don't share your opinion. Until we become pod people, and all our thinking is done by our alien overlord, that wont change. You're just going to have to get over it.

Now, on the other hand, why someone would come into a thread asking about gamepad versus keyboard, just to give their opinion on how they didn't like the game in the first place....i dunno.

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005
For me it was much more comfortable playing with the gamepad, but there's a bug in the game where every time you go into a room the screen spins when you have a 360 controller. It's really nauseating.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001

I didn't mind the dialogue, but the controls felt clunky to me also. Much better than the first Witcher, but still at the bottom of my lists for controls. I need to go back and try with a controller.

lilrayray69

Apr 4, 2013
For me it was much more comfortable playing with the gamepad, but there's a bug in the game where every time you go into a room the screen spins when you have a 360 controller. It's really nauseating.

lol I never had that