The 'Web 3.0' concept.

RichUK

Lifer
Feb 14, 2005
Keep in mind that Web 1.0, 2.0 and 3.0 are simply concepts that signify significant leaps and advancements in the way we use the World Wide Web.

Web 2.0 can be seen as the stage in the internet?s life that brought us:

- Mass file sharing and hosting.
- Instant messaging
- Forums
- Knowledge bases (aka wiki)
- Hosting services (such as youtube)
- Social networking (Myspace, facebook, etc)
- And so on?

For reference:

Wiki - Web 2.0

Wiki - Web 3.0

One of many Blogs

Wiki - Semantic Web

Or simply google "web 3.0" etc.

It?s only recently that talk of Web 3.0 has surfaced. I?m just curious to hear the views of ATOT.

Mar 15, 2003
Boobies. Web 3.0 needs lots of boobies.

Just kidding, just kidding.

Perhaps a continuation of instant publishing/content i.e. blogs, with more media rich experiences? In other words, many more useless people posting useless crap.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Stop with the flash intros. Just stop. It's a website, not a freaking' movie.

And get rid of all ads.

That would be a good start.

randomlinh

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
linh.wordpress.com
Originally posted by: freedomsbeat212
Boobies. Web 3.0 needs lots of boobies.

Just kidding, just kidding.

Perhaps a continuation of instant publishing/content i.e. blogs, with more media rich experiences? In other words, many more useless people posting useless crap.

dude, that was web alpha.

Rip the Jacker

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2004
Originally posted by: spidey07

And get rid of all ads.

That was web 1.0. Hardly anyone does that anymore.

Injury

Lifer
Jul 19, 2004

And get rid of all ads.

There's a good start. I can deal with maybe a 5 second intro as long as it's well designed, but after that, go to hell. I just lost intrest in your site.

How about all web browsers having much, much higher levels for standards... I wish that you could have some sort of server-based file or settings that determine what browser standards a site will use so no matter what browser you have, the server/website determines how it renders rather than the browser.

With high-speed internet capabilities, the rough idea of it, at least, sounds do-able. I mean, if you had to download a small file that tells things how to render, or how to custom render things it wouldn't be too bad... or just like you choose a character set in the first few lines of a webpage you can choose a rendering style from pre-defined lists...

The web browsers could have the capability to deny unknown ones and such... or disable them altogether and run with the browser standards.

XML/CSS/etc have done a pretty good job of making things more customizable, but what if you could create a new command altogether and say... force IE to render things by Firefox's style, or force Opera to render things by IE's style so that: a) it doesn't matter to the designer what the site looks like under a certain browser because you are forcing someone else's standards. b) The user doesn't have to download 3 different browsers for the various websites that might not run correctly from browser to browser, OS to OS.

Just SOME better solution to standardize things. I dunno... just tossing it out there and seeing what ideas can spawn.

Rip the Jacker

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2004
Originally posted by: smack Down
Less idiots making up meaningless buzzwords. That and even better rounded corners.

How about greater support for CSS2 and 3 so rounded corners can be EASILY implemented without the use of images.

Rip the Jacker

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2004
Originally posted by: Injury

And get rid of all ads.

There's a good start. I can deal with maybe a 5 second intro as long as it's well designed, but after that, go to hell. I just lost intrest in your site.

How about all web browsers having much, much higher levels for standards... I wish that you could have some sort of server-based file or settings that determine what browser standards a site will use so no matter what browser you have, the server/website determines how it renders rather than the browser.

With high-speed internet capabilities, the rough idea of it, at least, sounds do-able. I mean, if you had to download a small file that tells things how to render, or how to custom render things it wouldn't be too bad... or just like you choose a character set in the first few lines of a webpage you can choose a rendering style from pre-defined lists...

The web browsers could have the capability to deny unknown ones and such... or disable them altogether and run with the browser standards.

XML/CSS/etc have done a pretty good job of making things more customizable, but what if you could create a new command altogether and say... force IE to render things by Firefox's style, or force Opera to render things by IE's style so that: a) it doesn't matter to the designer what the site looks like under a certain browser because you are forcing someone else's standards. b) The user doesn't have to download 3 different browsers for the various websites that might not run correctly from browser to browser, OS to OS.

Just SOME better solution to standardize things. I dunno... just tossing it out there and seeing what ideas can spawn.

No browser has perfectly implemented all of HTML 4.01, nor CSS1, 2 or 3. If they were to adhere to W3C's standards a bit more (IE that is-- and yes I'm talking about that pos IE7) then web development would be much easier :)

Cogman

Lifer
Sep 19, 2000
you know, I would like to see websites starting to push transparent compression. It would put more stress on their servers and on our computers, but I think it would be worth it for the bandwidths sake.

smack Down

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2005
Originally posted by: Rip the Jacker

And get rid of all ads.

No browser has perfectly implemented all of HTML 4.01, nor CSS1, 2 or 3. If they were to adhere to W3C's standards a bit more (IE that is-- and yes I'm talking about that pos IE7) then web development would be much easier :)

The browser aren't the problem it is the jackass web developers that want complete control of page layout is the problem.

Rip the Jacker

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2004

And get rid of all ads.

The browser aren't the problem it is the jackass web developers that want complete control of page layout is the problem.

WTF? The browsers have BEEN the reason for all web developers headaches, particularly IE (6).

smack Down

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2005

And get rid of all ads.

WTF? The browsers have BEEN the reason for all web developers headaches, particularly IE (6).

Like I said because you want to much control over page layout. It was intended that the browser would do the vast majority of layout when they where first designed.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000

Well that gets to the heart of the matter.

What TRUE internet standards are we dealing with here? I have no idea how to even begin to make a webpage, but I do know standards and how important they are for communication between disparate systems. Especially because the device servicing your content ISN'T the web server...it's a content/L7 switch.

I blame it on the developers mainly. They never follow standards. I deal with their crap all the time with standards based content services systems. Because they wanted to do it "a different way" it doesn't work.

HELLO! Really? You don't say?

smack Down

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2005

Well that gets to the heart of the matter.

What TRUE internet standards are we dealing with here? I have no idea how to even begin to make a webpage, but I do know standards and how important they are for communication between disparate systems. Especially because the device servicing your content ISN'T the web server...it's a content/L7 switch.

I blame it on the developers mainly. They never READ standards. I deal with their crap all the time with standards based content services systems. Because they wanted to do it "a different way" it doesn't work.

HELLO! Really? You don't say?

Fixed That for you.

Injury

Lifer
Jul 19, 2004

And get rid of all ads.

Yeah, but I think a lot of the problem isn't MS (and other browser creators!) not being standards compliant, it's that the standards are different from what MS wants.

What if you were designing a site that had the "average non-IT professional" in mind. Most of them don't have browswers besides IE, so you don't want to design with browsers OTHER than IE in mind... So if you just think of IE users and add a line of code to force other browsers to use their standards you don't have to add bunches of extra code, fix bugs and test in 4 different browsers, and essentially add 25% more code just to make sure the effect looks pretty much the same in all browsers. It works both ways. It's about target audience.

I guess it's similar to the idea of PDFs... it will look on one person's screen the EXACT same as it will on another person's screen.

Shawn

Lifer
Apr 20, 2003
Originally posted by: novasatori
I would like to see streaming HDTV.

Yeah.

BTW, I wouldn't consider forums to be part of web 2.0. They've been around since the beginning in one shape or another and they've been like we know them now since the late 1990's.

edit: Instant messaging has been around just as long.