THE WAR IS OVER ~ 1000s CHEER AMERICAN FORCES IN DOWNTOWN BAGHDAD AND THROW FLOWERS..... Looting in Baghdad

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

blade

1957 - 2008<br>Elite Moderator Emeritus<br>Troll H
Oct 9, 1999
Wonder what Grabhbag Bob is going to say now. :D :evil:

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
They do a pretty good job when their protests aren't scripted...

What really got me was the makeshift parade with cars covered in toilet paper.

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
Originally posted by: Pliablemoose
They do a pretty good job when their protests aren't scripted...

What really got me was the makeshift parade with cars covered in toilet paper.

I missed the first Freedom Parade????? Link please...

Phuz

Diamond Member
Jul 15, 2000
Originally posted by: BaDaBooM
Originally posted by: Phuz
Originally posted by: Alistar7
Then why are they chanting pro-bush statements and throwing flowers?

This is the end of the war, the rest is mop up, the majority of the Iraqi army has gone home and given up, you should to.

This is a pretty significant moment, I think it deserved a thread....

Again, how the hell do you know? You don't. You're just a cheer leader.

Are you blind?????? It's on the news. As in video.

I've seen the clips thanks. The clips show were only in TWO separate locations, according to the briefing from Qatar this morning. TWO places out of the whole country. And they happened to be mostly Kurds which is very understandable. If you watched a news source that wasn't quite as biased, you'd see there are still many, many people in that country against coalition presence.

Phuz

Diamond Member
Jul 15, 2000
Allow me to clarify. I'm not against better quality of living that could possibly await these people in the future, but you're only kidding yourself if you think this war is over. The eye of the storm.

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
Originally posted by: Phuz
Allow me to clarify. I'm not against better quality of living that could possibly await these people in the future, but you're only kidding yourself if you think this war is over. The eye of the storm.

Those are Shiites in Baghdad, the Kurds are up north. The reality is our troops have seen this response in most towns once the civlians felt safe. Your "TV" must have a bad reception... By days end this will be city wide most likely.

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
It is also important to note there are no "minders" on reporters in the city anymore, there should be some great stories coming out of there now.

Phuz

Diamond Member
Jul 15, 2000
By days end this will be city wide most likely.

I was beginning to think otherwise, but since you've reassured me.... *phew*
How many times did we hear that Basra was secured? Baghdad is slightly larger.

We'd be so lucky if your TV reception stopped coming in, though. You'd have nothing to post about.
Learn how to think for yourself instead of just mindlessly reiterating what your favourite news channel broadcasts.

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
Or maybe read the reports that are coming in worldwide and conviently linked at the top of the page....

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
I have been looking for reports of this in the Arab media as well, funny thing is I can't seem to find anything, even on Al-Jazeera's breaking news section......

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
Originally posted by: DaveSohmer
Ok, technically it's not over, but all that's really left is some light mop-up.

You are sadly mistaken and statements like that make you look like a naive fool.

Some cheese to go with your whine?

Tikrit will probably still have sporadic resistance even months down the road, but what you saw today was the beginning of the end, all your Saddam City are belong to US.

BaDaBooM

Golden Member
May 3, 2000
LOL! A couple of Iraqis in the center of Bagdad held up a large banner that said, "GO HOME HUMAN SHEILDS! You U.S. WANKERS". That's great.... sure Phuz, only a couple places and definately the minority.
rolleye.gif

Edit: wow, someone already posted it in a thread here..

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
Everyone watch the Iraqi people help pull down one of the most significant Saddam statues in the heart of Firdos Square.....

UltraQuiet

Banned
Sep 22, 2001
Originally posted by: DaveSohmer
Ok, technically it's not over, but all that's really left is some light mop-up.

You are sadly mistaken and statements like that make you look like a naive fool.

Some cheese to go with your whine?

Tikrit will probably still have sporadic resistance even months down the road, but what you saw today was the beginning of the end, all your Saddam City are belong to US.

Who's whining? It was the begiining of the end when we crossed into Kuwait. We have by-passed a lot of things that we are now going to have to go back and secure. It is going to take time and we really don't know the level of resistance that will be found. There are weapon caches all over the country and it is still possible for someone to rally and organize the Fedayeen into some sort of resistance, not to mention what's left of regular army units, etc. We will prevail militarily but it is far from over and only a naive fool would declare that it was and say all that was left was 'light mop up'.

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
They almost have the noose around the neck of the statue...

It looks as if it will be a large group of citizens that get to pull down maybe the most infamous Saddam statues of all.

UltraQuiet

Banned
Sep 22, 2001
Your OPINION is noted, now go piss somewhere else....

Your idiotic and naive view of something you obviously know nothing about is also noted and I will piss wherever I want. Get a clue.

dudleydocker

Golden Member
Jul 5, 2000
c'mon people, can't we all just get along?!

this is a significant event in the course of the campaign (three week mark today) and a sign that the regime has collapsed. no minders, secret police. the average citizen realizes that there is no longer a gun to their head.

yes, there is a LOT left to do.

but who would have thought that Baghdad would have fallen WITHOUT massive civilian and coalition casualties??

04/09/03 = the begininng of the end

:)

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
Unfortunately it is not my view, it is the reality happening right now...

You just can't stand the fact they are cheering us......

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
Originally posted by: dudleydocker
c'mon people, can't we all just get along?!

this is a significant event in the course of the campaign (three week mark today) and a sign that the regime has collapsed. no minders, secret police. the average citizen realizes that there is no longer a gun to their head.

yes, there is a LOT left to do.

but who would have thought that Baghdad would have fallen WITHOUT massive civilian and coalition casualties??

04/09/03 = the begininng of the end

:)

Another great point to trumpet, their was very little loss of civilian life in this KEY MILITARY city of 5 million people.

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
Now they are taking turns smashing the statue with a sledgehammer, sweet.

That has to be a 10ft diameter of solid concrete on that base....

Phuz

Diamond Member
Jul 15, 2000
Unfortunately it is not my view, it is the reality happening right now...

You just can't stand the fact they are cheering us......

Yup, Dave is as anti-american as they come. He's been against this war since day one!