The Walking dead (Telltale Games)

fustercluck

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2002
Got The Walking Dead (Telltale games) for $7.49 a few days back. I heard nothing but good things about it, all the glowing reviews...game of the year awards.

Well, I'm midway through the 2nd chapter and the game is really disappointing. It's more of a text adventure than an action game. All of the characters are dicks and they say you can choose your own path but they game pretty much dictates what you can and can't do. Some old guy threw me to a zombie to die and I had no option to kill or attack that guy or even talk to him about it. Just supposed to hang out with him and pretend like it never happened I guess? Lamesauce.

So, the game is real sucky so far. Still a few chapters to go but i don't think it's going to get much better.

What the hay?! People have done nothing but praise this game. Am I the only one not liking it? I'm really surprised.

EDIT: It's not that bad, check out my final review below

Last edited:

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Got The Walking Dead (Telltale games) for $7.49 a few days back. I heard nothing but good things about it, all the glowing reviews...game of the year awards.

Well, I'm midway through the 2nd chapter and the game is really disappointing. It's more of a text adventure than an action game. All of the characters are dicks and they say you can choose your own path but they game pretty much dictates what you can and can't do. Some old guy threw me to a zombie to die and I had no option to kill or attack that guy or even talk to him about it. Just supposed to hang out with him and pretend like it never happened I guess? Lamesauce.

So, the game is real sucky so far. Still a few chapters to go but i don't think it's going to get much better.

What the hay?! People have done nothing but praise this game. Am I the only one not liking it? I'm really surprised.

Also there's gotta be a thread about this game somewhere but I searched for "walking" in both the PC and console forum to get no results, so shrug.

You apparently didn't read enough. No one said it was an action game....it's an adventure, story, and live with your decisions game.

kyrax12

Platinum Member
May 21, 2010
You didn't check out some of the trailers?

it is pretty apparent that it is a story-adventure styled game than an action game.

Nvidiaguy07

Platinum Member
Feb 22, 2008
im someone who gets very impatient with just about any game that includes a story. Despite this i gave this game a shot based on others reviews. It took me some time to get hooked, (maybe ep 2 or 3), but after playing I consider it one of the best games Ive ever played. More of an interactive comic/show than a game though.

Also turn off hints or whatever it is. I dont wanna see the results of decisions I make, id rather just play and face the consequences.

Stick with it, each episode is onle 90-120min ea.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
lol. I'm gonna agree with everyone else here, it sounds like OP didn't read up on the game properly. It's a point-and-click adventure game.

The reason it's so critically-acclaimed is because of it's extremely well-crafted writing and characters. It's one of those unique kinds of story-driven games that we rarely get to see anymore. Maybe if there were more "story games" coming out nowadays, Telltale's The Walking Dead wouldn't have made such a big splash last year.

Are you the only one who doesn't like it? Of course not. There are plenty of people - some on this forum, even - who aren't fans of point-and-clicks. And that's completely fine. Different strokes for different folks. It's not your kind of game.

Me personally? I was thrilled with it. Definitely GOTY 2012. Evidently, it was so commercially successful that they are now working on Season 2. Can't wait to play it.

ad3pt7

Mar 7, 2013
This is definitely a point and click type adventure game, but I enjoyed it just to get away from the same style games coming out these days. I thought it had pretty good character development and story and I felt like I wanted to keep playing to see what would happen.

My favorite thing about the game is definitely the choice making and which people to side with. Definitely looking forward to the second title.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
I need to sit down and actually play it. Been sitting in my library since I got it for cheap.

fustercluck

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2002
So actually after playing through it all I ended up kinda liking the game. I definitely hated it for the first couple episodes but it grew on me after that. It is good to know what you're getting into with this game...it's like an interactive book. Lots and lots of dialogue and cut-scenes. A text adventure! Not really much action at all. Not really the zombie apocalypse game I had in mind.

And there are a lot hateable characters. During the first episode, Larry tries to feed you to a bunch of zombies (even if you completely side with him) and then after that you're just supposed to get along with him like nothing happened. So that is annoying.

But the game is really about the building relationship between Lee and Clementine, and they do a really excellent job there. Two very likeable and memorable characters. That's what the story is all about.

Back to more negatives! You can't skip through any god damn cut-scenes OR dialogue, even on the second playthrough which is a big big negative. Especially since you'll actually want to do a second playthrough since you can make a lot of different choices and the story will change some.

Not being able to change the controls is a little bit annoying, you have to mash the "Q" key a lot during the game and that's kind of an awkward position for a key you have to hit rapidly.

Somehow despite all the negatives, the story of Lee and Clementine, which again is the core of the game, is a really good story. So the game gets a slight thumbs up!

billyevans

Apr 7, 2013
I thought it'd be some lame point-n-click feel-em-up going into it (I knew it wasn't an action game by any stretch), but I was actually pleasantly surprised. I must've played through all the chapters in a single sitting. I thought it was great.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Just finished this last night. Awesome game, which I did not expect. Thanks to everyone who sort of forced me into buying it during the recent sale.

I kind of want to replay the whole thing through again since I can see some of the major choices which, in theory, would really change the story if I went the other way.

Has anyone gone through this twice and seen a significant change in the story? Also, is there any news on a new episode coming down?

KT

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Just finished this last night. Awesome game, which I did not expect. Thanks to everyone who sort of forced me into buying it during the recent sale.

I kind of want to replay the whole thing through again since I can see some of the major choices which, in theory, would really change the story if I went the other way.

Has anyone gone through this twice and seen a significant change in the story? Also, is there any news on a new episode coming down?

KT

Sadly, no the choices really don't have any real impact, which cheapens it a bit, but there is more to see with the different characters that die/don't die during the game. The ending is not really different however.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Sadly, no the choices really don't have any real impact, which cheapens it a bit, but there is more to see with the different characters that die/don't die during the game. The ending is not really different however.

Hmm, well that's disappointing.
I would have guessed leaving the stuff in the car would have vastly changed the ending, but maybe that guy still shows up, he just has a slightly different reason for doing what he does?
That's a real shame, far less interested in replaying it now, knowing that.

KT

exar333

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2004
I tried to like it, but whoever created the controls should be shot. One of the worst-designed games I have ever played. The story was done well, but I constantly got turned-off by the terrible controls and gave up. Was very disappointed...

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008

KT

Actually, the story doesn't change a whole lot. That seems to be one of the biggest complaints about the game; your choices aren't as important as the game makes them out to be. If you were to play through the game a second time with different decisions, you would see some small differences in the way characters interact with you, but the story would largely remain the same.

I don't really have a problem with this. At the beginning of the game, it says "the story is tailored by the way you play." Kind like, say, a custom-fit suit. The suit is tailored specifically for you, but in the end it's still a suit.

In response to your second question: They're already working on a new season. I'm excited for it.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Yeah, fair enough Dan, and it's not so much of a complaint as I thorougly enjoyed the game, I just was hoping I could see a different story the next time through. Oh well, I guess I'll just wait for the next season! :)

KT

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Hmm, well that's disappointing.
I would have guessed leaving the stuff in the car would have vastly changed the ending, but maybe that guy still shows up, he just has a slightly different reason for doing what he does?
That's a real shame, far less interested in replaying it now, knowing that.

KT

As someone who chose to leave the stuff in the car, what happens is you and Clemantine refuse to steal, but the rest of your group goes ahead and loots it. This comes up multiple times in the final conversation and seems to win you some faith with the guy, but yeah the ending doesn't change all that much.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
As someone who chose to leave the stuff in the car, what happens is you and Clemantine refuse to steal, but the rest of your group goes ahead and loots it. This comes up multiple times in the final conversation and seems to win you some faith with the guy, but yeah the ending doesn't change all that much.

Ahh, ok, so the changes are far more subtle than I would have expected. Good to know, thanks for that.

KT

Andrew111

Aug 6, 2001
Yeah I'm disappointed with the game too but I'm just at the pharmacy place...wish it had more story options.
Like being forced to take a ride with that dad and his retard boy "Duck" after you see him bail his son out after the son runs over the guy with the tractor and gives him a death sentence...leaves him for dead. The hell I'd want to team up with that guy since he's now shown he'll screw you over to save his retard kid.

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
I've played an hour or two. It's a little disappointing so far.

It's not badly done, but I haven't encountered anything outside the realm of cliche yet.