The Vulkan Interview | Exclusive Interview With The Khronos Group

Bacon1

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2016
http://www.redgamingtech.com/the-vulkan-interview-exclusive-interview-with-the-khronos-group/

The past year or two has marked a considerable shift in the graphics industry, one spurred on not just by faster hardware and ever demanding games, but by the evolution of two new graphics API’s: Microsoft’s DirectX 12 and Khronos Group’s Vulkan. Both API’s were created for a modern computing era, an era filled with multi-core CPU’s, ever more complex usages of GPU computing and the emergence of Virtual Reality.

Vulkan differs from Microsoft’s DirectX 12 in a number of key ways, the most obvious being Khronos Groups steadfast approach to being multi-vendor, multi-platform. Vulkan allows developers a familiar API structure whether they’re creating for a high end PC running Windows, Linux or even porting their engines to mobile platform such as Android.
We managed to snag an interview with Tom Olson (Director of Research over at ARM and chair of the Vulkan Working Group) and Neil Trevett (Vice President of Mobile Ecosystem at Nvidia and elected President of the Khronos Group). For the profiles of both Tom and Neil, check the bottom of the article!

Rest at the page

Also:

vulkan-based-on-mantle.jpg

etrin

Aug 10, 2001
are they going to support linux?
If only ms was NOT the go to for gaming.
ms = micro shaft, they spyware company.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010

They have already stated that it will be coming to linux, but the Windows release was priority as there is obviously a much larger install base. I think they gave an ETA for linux, but I cannot recall what it is off hand.

therealnickdanger

Oct 26, 2005
It's just a shame that AMD and NVIDIA won't offer Vulkan support to older GPUs (Pre-7000 series and pre-600 series, respectively) in their drivers. I would be neat to see what some older GPUs could do when fully tapped.

Basically I just want an excuse to keep using my GTX 470 and HD 6870 in my older PCs.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
It's just a shame that AMD and NVIDIA won't offer Vulkan support to older GPUs (Pre-7000 series and pre-600 series, respectively) in their drivers. I would be neat to see what some older GPUs could do when fully tapped.

Basically I just want an excuse to keep using my GTX 470 and HD 6870 in my older PCs.

HD6000 series cars lack the hardware support to work with Vulcan, has nothing to do with AMD not wanting to support it. Fermi could technically have support, but nVidia doesn't even support Kepler cards hardly these days.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I see tile-based passes in that slide in the OP so it makes me think that nVidia should be able to take huge advantage of that, no?

Makes me think that dev optimization for Vulkan through nVidia just isn't where it can be at this moment in time.

Raising

Mar 12, 2016

lol @ spyware company.

But using google services with a smartphone that can track your location and hear you remotely is totally fine !

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
lol @ spyware company.

But using google services with a smartphone that can track your location and hear you remotely is totally fine !

I always wonder about the percentage of these anti-Win10 people that also have facebook accounts or any type of google account. Must be a nice space to live in.