The Voting Thread - Now with POLL

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Have you voted and how?

• Mail-In

Votes: 32 23.0%
  • Drop-off Ballot

Votes: 48 34.5%
  • Early-Voting in Person

Votes: 28 20.1%
  • In Person on Election Day

Votes: 26 18.7%
  • Not Voting

Votes: 5 3.6%

• Total voters

Leymenaide

Feb 16, 2010
I have the same issue with my signature being different sometimes, though not as often as you. Here in NJ you can track your ballot to see that it's been accepted or rejected and can then fix it, if you vote early enough. I've only voted in person in NJ before but you do have to sign before you vote in person as well - they don't seem to do much checking of the signature though, just sign here then go in and press the buttons.

I was very careful to sign exactly as I signed my drivers license. I registered through the DMV therefore it would be my signature of record. I Voted in September and am proud of it.

Reactions: MrSquished

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
PROVINCIAL BALLOTS - BEWARE.
Didn't read thru this thread so don't know if this has been mentioned, but.... be careful if having requested an absentee BUT THEN deciding to vote in person on election day instead. THEY DO have record of whether you requested an absentee ballot when you show up in person AND in most states you will be given a "provincial ballot" in order to vote in person. Many states have reported that a huge percentage of "provincial ballots" are never counted or will be rejected due to minor irregularities i.e. intensive scrutiny of signature. More likely than not a provincial ballot will be rejected. First of all, there is already a question of the legitimacy where the very instance of a provincial ballot suggests some irregularity already exists. And if there is a question of legitimacy there is a much higher chance that your ballot will not be counted but instead simply discarded. So.... if anyone has requested an absentee ballot AND receives that absentee ballot in the mail, I suggest forgetting about voting in person on election day. INSTEAD.... fill out that absentee ballot THEN personally deliver your ballot to a dropbox at the voters registries office (if applicable) or you can drop off your "sealed" absentee ballot at an "in person - early voting" location. Many states allow early voting at an location, so just take your absentee ballot there and drop it off to one of the officials behind the counter. This being, if you suddenly decide NOT to trust the postal system and rather vote in person. You don't want to do a provincial ballot if you can avoid it.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Didn't read thru this thread so don't know if this has been mentioned, but.... be careful if having requested an absentee BUT THEN deciding to vote in person on election day instead. THEY DO have record of whether you requested an absentee ballot when you show up in person AND in most states you will be given a "provincial ballot" in order to vote in person. Many states have reported that a huge percentage of "provincial ballots" are never counted or will be rejected due to minor irregularities i.e. intensive scrutiny of signature. More likely than not a provincial ballot will be rejected. First of all, there is already a question of the legitimacy where the very instance of a provincial ballot suggests some irregularity already exists. And if there is a question of legitimacy there is a much higher chance that your ballot will not be counted but instead simply discarded. So.... if anyone has requested an absentee ballot AND receives that absentee ballot in the mail, I suggest forgetting about voting in person on election day. INSTEAD.... fill out that absentee ballot THEN personally deliver your ballot to a dropbox at the voters registries office (if applicable) or you can drop off your "sealed" absentee ballot at an "in person - early voting" location. Many states allow early voting at an location, so just take your absentee ballot there and drop it off to one of the officials behind the counter. This being, if you suddenly decide NOT to trust the postal system and rather vote in person. You don't want to do a provincial ballot if you can avoid it.
In California you can turn in your absentee ballot at the polling place for destruction if you decide to vote in person on Election Day.

Reactions: balloonshark

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Don't know the answer to either of those questions.

Personally, I'm far more concerned about local elections. I just discovered that the local DA refuses to prosecute burglars. I discovered this after having $7k worth of equipment stolen off of a jobsite, and the police told me that it doesn't matter if they catch the thieves or not, because they won't be charged with a crime.

And you believed them? How did you verify their claim?

Saylick

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2012
Dropped it off at the ballot box. I could've mailed it in, and I trust USPS, but I was out on an errand and figured I could just drop it off directly myself.

Reactions: skyking

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Mailed mine in. This year, due to Trump's extreme desperation and the Repub's open acknowledgement that cheating is A-OK and something they must, repeat MUST do more than ever to hang on to whatever seats they have (never mind making any kind of gains) due to Trump's psychotic behavior leading to all manner of stupid irrational decision making on his part, our right to vote is, more than ever before being threatened by the Repub's stepped up efforts to suppress, deny and disenfranchise voting from their opposition.

This along with the outright blatant heavy-handed obstructionism the McConnell controlled Senate have been operating under all while ramming their agendas down the people's throats makes them experiencing a very convincing painful lopsided nation-wide defeat a top priority in order to let them know without doubt that what they're doing to the nation is shameful, unethical and immoral and that a sizeable majority of the nation rejects their brand of divisive party-before-nation politics.

See, the one thing we all need to be cognizant of is that Vlad Putin approves of what Trump and the Repubs are doing to the nation along with every other potential enemies of ours that would like to see us hammered into submission. For this one reason alone Trump and those sycophant Repubs of his in the legislature need to be railed out of office or at the least soundly defeated in convincing fashion.

VOTE!

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Dropped it off at the ballot box. I could've mailed it in, and I trust USPS, but I was out on an errand and figured I could just drop it off directly myself.
^ the shortest path is best.

Lots of people using drop boxes also makes it easier for the USPS to deliver ballots that people choose to mail in. They're probably motivated to do so, seeing as how Trump is trying to fuck 'em.

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
My absentee ballot was received in Wisconsin, whether someone throws it out or not is another question.

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002

Provisional Ballot.

Not Provincial.

;)

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
My son walked his & ours over to a drop box at a nearby rec center earlier today. Just another example of wicked demoncrat ballot harvesting.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I passed by one of the super sites here in Travis County on my way to drop some mail off. Line wrapped around a block sized building and down the street out of my sight.

Kind of expected this so going later tonight.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
On Last Week Tonight with John Oliver he was saying they can disqualify your mail in vote if your signature doesn't match. I did not realize that was a thing. I never sign the same way twice as I have always been a nervous person. Anxiety is a bitch and my signature varies depending on how I feel, if I had my morning coffee or not, if I've eaten or not, etc. Not sure if that applies in my particuar state or not but I'm not taking a chance so I''m voting in person. That also has me wondering if the same applies in person but I can't remember if we have to sign to vote in person or not. This country is really starting to piss me off.

Got my mail in, but seriously worried it will be tossed out by GOP voter suppression activity.

I don't trust those mother f*ckers one bit.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
Ended up voting today. Line wasn’t too bad. The reason it wasn’t bad was the county opened up multiple new early polling places.

Our standard early polling site reportedly had an hour + wait.

The new place only had about a 20 minute wait but the line was building as more people posted about low wait times.

Before
5121E2B8-D80C-4EED-A69E-CE3A533A03D2.jpeg
After
C54DDA60-B4E5-4AAA-B1B0-0B50AB2CF443.jpeg

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I have done the votings.

Short line downtown Austin at 4PM but then again few people are in offices. Outlying sites look to be much busier this afternoon.

24K early votes in so far today per the county clerk.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
I would vote in person or drop off your ballot at a drop box at this point. Amazon Prime Day is today and tomorrow and they will be shipping stuff out for at least two weeks plus every other day online store is also have a competing sale.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Last edited:

twjr

Jul 5, 2006
Although I can't vote in the US I have just voted in the NZ general election. Currently live in Australia so had to do an overseas vote. Pretty simple. Just had to make sure my details were up to date; downloaded, printed and filled out my ballots; and then uploaded them to the vote.NZ website. The whole process took about 15 minutes.

Reactions: Thump553

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
harris county laughs at travis county.

and the state of georgia

(total vote count in 2016 was 1,305,434, for reference and 2020 electorate is 2,468,559)

Looks like Travis did 36K yesterday. Harris is four times the population of Travis but looks like they did slightly better on turnout as a percentage. The Houston area definitely what has the GOP ordering Pepto by the rail tanker load.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Over 13M votes are already cast nationally. Approximately 10% of total turnout in 2016.

Return rates for mail ballots are becoming astronomical for this point in an election. Making people terrified that the postal service might get their ballot in late seems to have resulted in people returning them at the earliest opportunity.

Reactions: purbeast0