The Voting Thread - Now with POLL

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Have you voted and how?

• Mail-In

Votes: 32 23.0%
  • Drop-off Ballot

Votes: 48 34.5%
  • Early-Voting in Person

Votes: 28 20.1%
  • In Person on Election Day

Votes: 26 18.7%
  • Not Voting

Votes: 5 3.6%

• Total voters

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
It seems unlike many other states, you can only track the status of your mail-in ballot in Texas if you are military or living overseas. In NJ at least we can track to see that our ballot was accepted as valid, otherwise we can go through a 'curing' process to fix it. This is why I'm voting earlier so I can track it. I would have preferred to vote in person this year and disagree with the Governor's decision to make it all mail-in even though I understand some of the reasoning behind it.
In Oklahoma you can track if they got it, but they only tell you if it's been accepted the day after the election.

That said I did absentee and dropped it off at the county. I would've early voted but we only have 3 days of it in one location.

Reactions: Pohemi

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Waiting for my absentee ballot. I'll do what I did for the primary - fill it out and drop it off in the drop box.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
I have my ballot—will attempt to vote early in person next week as long as it doesn’t take more than 3 hours in line. If that fails, I’m dropping off my ballot or mailing it in.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
I mailed mine off today. I thought about taking it to the dropbox to be sure but I trust the post office. I've sent way more valuable stuff through the mail.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I mailed mine off today. I thought about taking it to the dropbox to be sure but I trust the post office. I've sent way more valuable stuff through the mail.

That's reasonable, I think, given they have lots of time to get it there. If you'd fooled around until a week before the election then a drop box would be a better choice.

Reactions: Pohemi

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Washington is vote by mail, and we are expecting ballots about the 18th.
We will put them in a drop box the next morning.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Got my absentee ballot this morning. Filled it out and dropped it off at town hall before I went grocery shopping.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
NC mailed absentee ballots in early September. Instead of mailing I opted to take ours to the BOE office. They are setup outside to accept the ballots.
What I found interesting is that I had to fill out a form (North Carolina Absentee In-Person Return Log), which included whose ballot I was turning, my relation to that person, my name, address, phone number, and sign it.
This was then compared with the information on the outside of the absentee ballot envelope and they initialed the form. Clearly making it extremely difficult for someone to turn in a bunch of ballots.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
NC mailed absentee ballots in early September. Instead of mailing I opted to take ours to the BOE office. They are setup outside to accept the ballots.
What I found interesting is that I had to fill out a form (North Carolina Absentee In-Person Return Log), which included whose ballot I was turning, my relation to that person, my name, address, phone number, and sign it.
This was then compared with the information on the outside of the absentee ballot envelope and they initialed the form. Clearly making it extremely difficult for someone to turn in a bunch of ballots.

Nice bit of security theater, huh? Had you dropped them in a mailbox, there would have been none of that. They'd just have compared the signature on the envelope to that on file. It's the same fol-de-rol as requiring witnesses or a notary public. None of that is required in CO, UT, WA, OR or HI. Voter fraud is the same kind of hogwash as Bigfoot.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Poll is broken, can only make one selection.
I see you’e had none of the admiration you deserved for that one but here I am. The poll may be broken but I still intend to vote several ways. Hope you do too. Tough crowd I guess.

Stopsignhank

Platinum Member
Mar 1, 2014
Mailed in my ballot on Friday.
My wife and son mailed in their ballots and they are already accepted.

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
I have my ballot and will put it in the drop box when it becomes available during early voting. That starts Oct 19.

Same here. Me, the wife and 92yo mother-in-law have our ballots and will all three get in the car on Oct 19 to drop off ballots at drop box with our big masks on. Wife and MIL are staunch conservatives and republicans and hate Trump.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Same here. Me, the wife and 92yo mother-in-law have our ballots and will all three get in the car on Oct 19 to drop off ballots at drop box with our big masks on. Wife and MIL are staunch conservatives and republicans and hate Trump.
That's not all that uncommon. The staunchest Trump supporter I know thinks he's an obnoxious ass.

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
That's not all that uncommon. The staunchest Trump supporter I know thinks he's an obnoxious ass.

Do they believe he lies all of the time or do they believe what he says? Are they going to vote for him - if so why?

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Do they believe he lies all of the time or do they believe what he says? Are they going to vote for him - if so why?
Don't know the answer to either of those questions.

Personally, I'm far more concerned about local elections. I just discovered that the local DA refuses to prosecute burglars. I discovered this after having $7k worth of equipment stolen off of a jobsite, and the police told me that it doesn't matter if they catch the thieves or not, because they won't be charged with a crime.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Don't know the answer to either of those questions.

Personally, I'm far more concerned about local elections. I just discovered that the local DA refuses to prosecute burglars. I discovered this after having $7k worth of equipment stolen off of a jobsite, and the police told me that it doesn't matter if they catch the thieves or not, because they won't be charged with a crime.

Yeh, As if you have much credibility, particularly with such a vague narrative.

Our ballots apparently arrived yesterday afternoon because they were in the mailbox this morning.

Reactions: Meghan54

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Yeh, As if you have much credibility, particularly with such a vague narrative.

Our ballots apparently arrived yesterday afternoon because they were in the mailbox this morning.
Should I be concerned about the approval of a Marxist? I can't think of a single reason why I should be, but I'm open to suggestions.