The Voting Thread - Now with POLL

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Have you voted and how?

• Mail-In

Votes: 32 23.0%
  • Drop-off Ballot

Votes: 48 34.5%
  • Early-Voting in Person

Votes: 28 20.1%
  • In Person on Election Day

Votes: 26 18.7%
  • Not Voting

Votes: 5 3.6%

• Total voters

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
dropped off today at nearby ballot box spot. ...didn't know we can check it online; did I need to keep some sort of ID or number from the envelope or something? I'll google it...

Just heard the number is at 35million ballots cast already. That's roughly 25% of 2016?

looking at those earlier numbers, where it looks like half of registered democratic voters and 23% of unaffiliated voted, I do have concerns about all these early votes being the ones that are challenged, destroyed, and generally neglected because the fascists just reject them for "Errors"
That is why you should vote early, in person.

It's a lot harder for your ballot to get burned, thrown into a shredder, or rejected, when you cast it in person at a precinct location.

Again, this is why I don't care what the polls show, because polls are not counted ballots. They're estimates of how people may vote, if they actually vote, and if their ballot is actually counted.

Last edited:
Reactions: woolfe9998

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
This probably won't end well for this guy, nor should it...

Unfortunately, it's allowed in Miami. Only bar to it would be if the police themselves had a rule against it or if he wasn't voting.

"While election laws require individuals who are campaigning to remain 100 feet away from polling place entrances, voters wearing campaign attire may enter the polling place to vote."

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
Unfortunately, it's allowed in Miami. Only bar to it would be if the police themselves had a rule against it or if he wasn't voting.

"While election laws require individuals who are campaigning to remain 100 feet away from polling place entrances, voters wearing campaign attire may enter the polling place to vote."

Classic Republican voter intimidation.

Might as well be wearing an armband that says Ballot Security Task Force.

The Consent Decree that prevented Republicans from officially using cops from intimidating voters under the color of law ended in 2018.

Womp womp.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
We got the ballots in yesterday's mail, and they were at the county election offices before noon today. The roommate was going that way and chose the shortest possible route.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Travis County now at 74% of 2016 turnout. 40% of all registered voters have cast ballots.

12 days to go.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
That is why you should vote early, in person.

It's a lot harder for your ballot to get burned, thrown into a shredder, or rejected, when you cast it in person at a precinct location.

Again, this is why I don't care what the polls show, because polls are not counted ballots. They're estimates of how people may vote, if they actually vote, and if their ballot is actually counted.
Voters can verify if their absentee ballot is accepted online. Ours have been accepted, but if their had been an issue in-person is an option.

I agree with you on the polling, they are just guesses based on the tiny number of people that actually respond. I don't respond to polls on anything, but especially politics.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Locally 47.2% of registered voters have already cast their ballot as of 10/23 either in-person or absentee ballots that have been received. Early voting sites are open everyday through 10/31.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Travis county at 89% of 2016 turnout. 50% of registered voters have voted.

5 more days of early voting plus E day to go.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

I'm sure the Police forbid wearing campaign regalia while in uniform.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
Travis county at 89% of 2016 turnout. 50% of registered voters have voted.

5 more days of early voting plus E day to go.
You know despite all the crap being pulled to reduce or limit early and mail in votes from counting something occurred to me.

With the massive increase in voter turnout across the board Election Day is going to be completely packed most places. We know the majority of early voting ia being done by Dems.

I’m thinking a decent percent of folks waiting until Election Day to vote are going to turn away once they see multi hour lines. The bulk of those voters are probably going to be conservatives.

Reactions: K1052

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
You know despite all the crap being pulled to reduce or limit early and mail in votes from counting something occurred to me.

With the massive increase in voter turnout across the board Election Day is going to be completely packed most places. We know the majority of early voting ia being done by Dems.

I’m thinking a decent percent of folks waiting until Election Day to vote are going to turn away once they see multi hour lines. The bulk of those voters are probably going to be conservatives.

If you are taking the time to vote you aren't simply going to say fuck it I'm not waiting.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
If you are taking the time to vote you aren't simply going to say fuck it I'm not waiting.
I think Republicans in R states are less accustomed to any real delays or snags in the process so I'm not sure.
I could be wrong, but some people will turn away from long polling lines on e day and GOP turnout should be the highest on e day because for many of them early voting or mail in voting became a tribal thing.

So hypothetically a percentage of conservatives won’t vote (along with a % of dem voters). The question is how determined is each group on average to vote and how badly have the polls been placed/staffed to disadvantage one group over another.

We’ll get to see.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Locally over 53% of registered voters have already cast their ballots, which is 79% of the total turnout in 2016.

Early voting continues through 10/31.

Last edited:

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
About 95% of 2016 turnout here. 53% of registered voters have voted.

kitkat22

Golden Member
Feb 10, 2005
My wife and I just dropped off our ballots to the ballot box.

We had to request replacements. Online tracking showed the originals were sent but never arrived. Interestingly, the second set did arrive but mine was in the same envelope as my wife's. I ended up printing mine online and destroying the second ballot.

Man, this is all weird.....