The voting machines are rigged: to vote D!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
This is the real problem with democracy. People are too stupid to turn a damn dial. We should have a poll test where you demonstrate your ability to use a computer.

You liberals might want to ask your black friends how they would feel about such a "poll test".

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Something I may not understand here, its a full week before election so why are people voting now?

Scotteq

Diamond Member
Apr 10, 2008
You liberals might want to ask your black friends how they would feel about such a "poll test".

Poll Tests and Poll Taxes are illegal, which I presume you already know as a matter of course.

Points for the retort! Spot On!:D

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org
Diebold machines are just fucking terrible in general. They probably aren't being used to rig elections.

Ever use the touch screen on a Diebold ATM machine? They are absolute shit. I wouldn't be surprised if 5% or so of the votes are for the wrong candidate.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007

I was joking.

BTW, Hawaii has a simple and easy system... Everybody can vote absentee. You can even bring your absentee ballot to the County Clerk or equivalent local office up until 10/30, as a form of early voting.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
We should all be embarassed at the federal government's reaction to the debacle of the 2000 vote. They came out with this massive "reform" package, forced it upon the states and outlawed all the time-tested and perfectly fine mechanical voting booths.

Say what you will about computer illeterate voters, but these new machines actively discourage voter confidence in the impartiality and fairness in our system. It's like Congress couldn't have done worse if they tried-and given the facts that the GOP traditionally tries to keep the vote DOWN, and this was passed by a GOP controlled Congress and White House, my conspiracy antenna is twitching overtime.

Edit: In my state, you cannot vote absentee without cause, and sometimes absentee votes are not counted at all (unless it is a close race).

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
Say what you will about computer illeterate voters, but these new machines actively discourage voter confidence in the impartiality and fairness in our system. It's like Congress couldn't have done worse if they tried-and given the facts that the GOP traditionally tries to keep the vote DOWN, and this was passed by a GOP controlled Congress and White House, my conspiracy antenna is twitching overtime.

The theory is that smart people will vote no matter what, and the people most likely to avoid voting are stupid people. Few stupid people voting means the stupid ideas are less likely to win. If everyone in the country were allowed to vote (including people who shouldn't vote such as kids), the president of the country would be Justin Bieber.

For the most part, the theory proves to be true. People who know absolutely nothing about politics tend not to vote. People who rant all day in P&N never miss an election in their whole life.

FerrelGeek

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2009
Scantron cards are the best solution. No fumble-finger oopses, no hanging chads; nice verifiable paper trail.

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
The theory is that smart people will vote no matter what, and the people most likely to avoid voting are stupid people. Few stupid people voting means the stupid ideas are less likely to win. If everyone in the country were allowed to vote (including people who shouldn't vote such as kids), the president of the country would be Justin Bieber.

For the most part, the theory proves to be true. People who know absolutely nothing about politics tend not to vote. People who rant all day in P&N never miss an election in their whole life.

I'm sure there are those that feel that no matter who they vote for, it really makes no difference.

Given a choice I will go 3rd party every time even though they have no chance to win.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
I'm sure there are those that feel that no matter who they vote for, it really makes no difference.

Given a choice I will go 3rd party every time even though they have no chance to win.

One nice thing about voting third party, no matter who wins you can always say "Hey, I didn't vote for him!"

Nov 29, 2006
Im surprised in this day and age we dont have some kind of internet voting system. You use your (active) SS# and a password you select. And you have to register in person with a government official of some kind w/photo ID. That way someone cant just get a list of SS#'s and register them all himself from his home. And then you vote. This system should also track SS#'s and be aware if someone tries to enter a dead persons SS# for example. It also only allows one vote per SS#.

Doesnt seem like it would be too hard to make work perfectly. Sure you would need tons of security to prevent hacking etc, but as we can see our current system does not work flawlessly either.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
Why is it I suspect this post would have been entirely different if the machines were defaulting to all R checked? No doubt there would have been references to pigs, self hatred, and all things scatological in that case.

Yes that was a strange post by him considering recent post . I think its all that self hate he has.

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
I can't wait until after next Tuesday!

These machines can be rigged all they want, but we're still going to be voting a TON of idiots the hell out. For sure we will get a new governor and that can't come soon enough.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
I can't wait until after next Tuesday!

These machines can be rigged all they want, but we're still going to be voting a TON of idiots the hell out. For sure we will get a new governor and that can't come soon enough.

Funny, I got the idea we were voting out the crooks and Marxists and voting in the idiots. :D

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Typical. It's ok to lie, cheat and screw people out of their vote as long as you get it your way.
You'd all be hopping mad and calling the system racist if it was the other way around.

There's no such thing as racism, which you correctly point out with your sarcastically throwing the word around. Repeal the civil rights bill! The south will rise again!

Last edited:

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
There's no such thing as racism, which you correctly point out with your sarcastically throwing the word around. Repeal the civil rights bill! The south will rise again!

Obama is the one out there telling black folks that Republicans don't want them to vote. I wonder if he'll keep playing the race card when we take back the house and senate? Ol Whitey will really be keeping him down then!

Last edited:

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Bring on the idiots! You don't have to be a genius to use common sense and listen to the people.

Angle and O'Donnell? Common sense? Lol. I'm just hoping their constituencies hold them at political gunpoint like all politicians should be.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Bring on the idiots! You don't have to be a genius to use common sense and listen to the people.

Quite true. However, being an idiot is no guarantee of common sense or listening to the people either.

I think very few people can hold office in D.C. for more than a few years and not be seduced by the power, not see government as the ultimate arbiter of, and solution to, all problems, and therefore believe that government should have most of the power and control most of the spending. The Dems of course have a big advantage in that they go into office thinking this - they just have to hide it during election years!

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
In an absolutely astounding coincidence, it turns out that the voting machine technicians in Clark County, where 3/4 of all Nevada residents live and where Reid's son Rory (also running for governor) is a county commissioner, that county where the voting machines are automatically checking Reid's name, are members of the Service Employees International Union. That's right, the same SEIU that has spent $63 million in the 2010 campaign cycle (and plans on spending another $44 million) promoting Democrats and bashing Republicans, is in charge of the voting machines. The SEIU is literally in charge of counting the votes.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/o...echnicians-are-members-of-SEIU-105815608.html

Nevada voting machines automatically checking Harry Reid's name; voting machine technicians are SEIU members
By: Mark Hemingway
Commentary Staff Writer
10/26/10 6:12 PM EDT

Clark County is where three quarters of Nevada's residents and live and where Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid's son Rory is a county commissioner. Rory is also a Democratic candidate for governor.

Since early voting started, there have been credible reports that voting machines in Clark County, Nevada are automatically checking Harry Reid's name on the ballot:

Voter Joyce Ferrara said when they went to vote for Republican Sharron Angle, her Democratic opponent, Sen. Harry Reid's name was already checked.

Ferrara said she wasn't alone in her voting experience. She said her husband and several others voting at the same time all had the same thing happen.

"Something's not right," Ferrara said. "One person that's a fluke. Two, that's strange. But several within a five minute period of time -- that's wrong."

Clark County Registrar of Voters Larry Lomax said there is no voter fraud, although the issues do come up because the touch-screens are sensitive. For that reason, a person may not want to have their fingers linger too long on the screen after they make a selection at any time.

Now there's absolutely no independently verified evidence of chicanery with the voting machines (yet), but it is worth noting that the voting machine technicians in Clark County are members of the Service Employees International Union. The SEIU spent $63 million in elections in 2008 and is planning on spending $44 million more this election cycle -- nearly all of that on Democrats. White House political director Patrick Gaspard is formerly the SEIU's top lobbyist, and former SEIU president Andy Stern was the most frequent visitor to the White House last year.

Just in Nevada, the SEIU has given a lot to groups that are heavily vested in the state -- in just one prominent example, the SEIU gave $500,000 to the Patriot Majority PAC, which has spent $1.3 million against Reid's opponent Sharron Angle. They've and have dropped large sums directly on candidates:

NV-3
Joe Heck (R)
Oppose
$140,000.00

NV-3
Dina Titus (D)
Support
$344,984.00

NV-Senate
Sharron E. Angle (R)
Oppose
$225,000.00

Now the county voting technicians aren't unique here -- many of Clark County's employees are also represented by the SEIU. But it is worth mentioning, the SEIU is hyperpoliticized and has seen its fair share of corruption. (It certainly seems more questionable than Diebold, the voting machine manufacturer with Republican ties that was at the center of many conspiracy theories on the left during the Bush administration.)

Unions increasingly have a major financial stake in election outcomes, both as a matter of their own election expenditures, and as a function of what they stand to gain if their legislative agenda is enacted. Should they really be responsible for tabulating the votes? That's certainly something voters ought to think long and hard about.

Below is Clark County's SEIU contract -- On Page 75, in Appendix A, voting machine technicians are listed as positions represented by SEIU.
I predict yet another stunning come-from-behind Reid victory. We haven't seen a turnaround like this since, well, all of Reid's other campaigns. And of course all of Saddam Hussein's campaigns. And all of Fidel Castro's campaigns. If like me you've ever wondered how Reid always pulls off these come-from-behind victories, well, now you know. Ioseph Stalin said "It doesn't matter who votes. It only matters who counts the ballots." I think, looking up at old Harry, Stalin would have a little tear of pride in his eye today.

Can't wait to see the usual suspects defend this. This is our future, folks, corruption that would make Vladimir Putin blush.