The value of elitism

Status
Not open for further replies.

nOd3N1AL

Dec 16, 2013
As a life-long PC gamer, I have never really thought about comparing PC and console games until a few years ago. I know this is a topic which has been debated many times, but I've never fully understood one thing: Why do many PC gamers see console gaming as unviable? My first console was the Xbox 360 and I have played many games on PS3, 360 and of course PC. And in many instances, the same game I felt was better on console. The whole ecosystem of achievements and dedication to gaming without any technical issues was a blessing. Sometimes a lot of PC gamers overlook the cost and effort associated with gaming on a non-standardized platform. Also, console exclusives! Halo is a great example of a console shooter.

Also, why do people buy high-end graphics cards? Isn't it cheaper, safer and generally more satisfying to buy a mid-ranged card for £160 which can max most games (or close enough) and upgrade to another mid-ranged 2 years later for the same price than to buy a £700 monster which will be obsolete in 6 years, but will also be worn out and using older tech? Sometimes it seems PC gamers care more about numbers than the overall experience. Sure, better graphics and an open platform with mods are great, but so is reliability and hassle-free experience. On a console, when you buy the game, you know it's gonna work.

Discuss! I'm not intending to troll or create an argument. I'm simply after a discussion; - I don't use forums often so sorry if it's already been brought up before.

Nothing good will come of this thread
-ViRGE

Last edited by a moderator:

motsm

Golden Member
Jan 20, 2010
I think consoles are fine, and absolutely have a place in the market. I just resent that the PC platform has in essence just turned into another console platform.

nOd3N1AL

Dec 16, 2013
I think consoles are fine, and absolutely have a place in the market. I just resent that the PC platform has in essence just turned into another console platform.

Interesting... you mean because of how Steam has changed things?

motsm

Golden Member
Jan 20, 2010
Interesting... you mean because of how Steam has changed things?
I am mostly talking about how the vast majority of high profile games the PC gets are just ports or multi platform games that are designed for consoles first.

I think it was much more advantageous to the market when the PC and console platforms were more uniquely defined, and offered vastly different games that catered directly to the platforms inherent strengths, and the audiences that each platform attracted.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Your opinion is a bit dated because you started with the 360. Roughly it could be said the downfall started with the first Xbox gen, and the 360 gen solidified it.

Prior to that most multiplatform games were designed on PC first then ported.

Also what motsm said has a lot of truth too. There are plenty of people out there including myself who enjoy both sides, however even as I like consoles for some games, the lines have definitely blurred over the last couple generations.

Berliner

Nov 10, 2013
www.kamerahelden.de
Console gaming is completely fine if you can live without being able to customize and optimize the games completely to your liking, be it graphics, shortcuts, controller choice, etc.

Also you have to keep in mind that a great gaming PC is also a great 3D and video renderer, fast photo optimization suite and much more, that a console just is not.

nOd3N1AL

Dec 16, 2013
The thing is, a lot of PC gamers say consoles limit the advancement of games because the hardware is outdated even before they launch. I think that's a vast overexaggeration of the reality. If you look at games like GTA San Andreas and Battlefield: Bad Company 2 they are far superior both in controls and graphics on PC even though they focused on consoles. The only examples i can come up with are Crysis 2 looking worse than the original and GRID 2 not having interior view. But tbh i think it's just cash-strapped developers that use that as an excuse. We know fine well that if they tried, the PC version would always have better graphics than console version

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
I like video games of all forms. I don't see how you could limit yourself to a single platform, even PC.

I own a NES, SNES, PS1, N64, PS2, Gamecube, Xbox, PS3, Xbox 360, Wii, and Wii U along with a gaming PC. On top of that add the gameboy, gameboy advance, DS, PSP, and 3DS. There are so many worthwhile games on most platforms, I don't see how you could resist.

The only platforms I regretted overall where PSP and Xbox 360. They didn't really offer much to my particular tastes, especially with the crossover in 360 and PC library. As such, I doubt I'll get an Xbox One or a Vita.

I disagree with some of your points. Multiplatform games are almost always better on PC, usually by a large margin. Also, they aren't just numbers. They are numbers that effect the experience.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
ESCWFqa.gif

:D

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
wallpaper__glorious_pc_gaming_master_race_by_admiralserenity-d5qvxos.png

Consoles are boring as hell. Try playing LoL on a console... oh wait!

Achievements? :eek: Seriously?

Fire&Blood

Platinum Member
Jan 13, 2009
I always find it funny when I read comments elsewhere on the internet, PC haters are posting from...PC's.

I spent about an hour today playing AC4 and a few other games on the PS4. hooked up to 50" TV at a friend's place. It looks good and it's really good value for the money. Then I went home and played AC4 on my rig at 1440p. It's just better.

In terms of value comparison strictly for gaming, consoles look really good, if the budget for a PC is <$800 (including monitor). However, exceeding that price point, PC leaves the consoles behind. The way I see it, I will rather invest more and account for gaming when I build a PC which I have to use anyway than buy a "office PC" and a console.

The last gen of consoles had the equivalent of high end GPU's when they launched, the new ones in comparison are sporting mid range GPU's. 1440p is already very affordable and I'm sure 2160p will be as well long before this newest console gen is replaced by PS5's and XBTWO's.

I don't think PC elitism is a thing as much as anti PC gaming hatred is. There never were "don't port Battlefield or Crysis to consoles" petitions while PC haters did make petitions to devs/publishers NOT to port games to PC (GTA 5 prime example)

Bottom line is, consoles will continue to have exclusive titles like Last of Us and due to uniformity, a lot can be squeezed out of the hardware. But it does look like they will be left behind by the PC quicker than the previous generation was.

Status
Not open for further replies.