The Useless and the Useful

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
This is exactly the kind of blind partisanship that's destroying America. In the real world, desert is simply NOT so black and white. One must look at the big picture instead of falling back on simple-minded, "my side is always right" dining. The best desert depends on many factors including entrees, ambiance, wine selection, weight goals, and even the weather.

For example, sometimes you just can't beat Dutch apple pie a la mode. Sometimes what one really wants is a warm slice of three-layer, double fudge chocolate cake. One must also consider the great diversity within each camp. What about strawberry pie? How about French Silk? Carrot cake? Strawberry shortcake? It claims to be "cake", but is it really ... or is it an entirely different camp posing as cake?

Then there are times when both camps clearly fall short. Nothing beats fresh chocolate chip cookies on a cold winter night, or a big bowl of homemade ice cream with fresh fruit on a hot summer day. How do they fit in your simplistic, cake vs. pie ideologies?

You partisan tools need to open your eyes and engage your tongues. The two desert system is hurting American dining. We can do better.

PS. Oh yeah, the whole "So Fed Up They Don't Really Give a Shit Anymore Because They Realize Both Sides are Idiots and Only a Fool Would Tie Themselves to One Ideology" part as it applies to politics -- Duh. That's the only sensible position.

lol, winner.

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
This is exactly the kind of blind partisanship that's destroying America. In the real world, dessert is simply NOT so black and white. One must look at the big picture instead of falling back on simple-minded, "my side is always right" dining. The best dessert depends on many factors including entrees, ambiance, wine selection, weight goals, and even the weather.

For example, sometimes you just can't beat Dutch apple pie a la mode. Sometimes what one really wants is a warm slice of three-layer, double fudge chocolate cake. One must also consider the great diversity within each camp. What about strawberry pie? How about French Silk? Carrot cake? Strawberry shortcake? It claims to be "cake", but is it really ... or is it an entirely different camp posing as cake?

Then there are times when both camps clearly fall short. Nothing beats fresh chocolate chip cookies on a cold winter night, or a big bowl of homemade ice cream with fresh fruit on a hot summer day. How do they fit in your simplistic, cake vs. pie ideologies?

You partisan tools need to open your eyes and engage your tongues. The two dessert system is hurting American dining. We can do better.

PS. Oh yeah, the whole "So Fed Up They Don't Really Give a Shit Anymore Because They Realize Both Sides are Idiots and Only a Fool Would Tie Themselves to One Ideology" part as it applies to politics -- Duh. That's the only sensible position.

pillsbury_doughboy.jpg

nick1985

Lifer
Dec 29, 2002
Craig234 is a useless sack of shit. Dont forget him! :awe:

Last edited:

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Ultimate callout thread? :)

I'm not on the list, but I guess I haven't been that active in here last few months.

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
There's nothing serious going on here in P&N. No changes to the country or the planet will occur through whatever happens here. Most posts here can be defined by two sentences.

Lefties: Your stupid.
Righties: No, you're stupid.

Thanks for sharing.

You left out the continuation...

Lefties: Your mom.
Righties: At least I have a mom.

Or something.

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
Ultimate callout thread? :)

I'm not on the list, but I guess I haven't been that active in here last few months.

Yup. :) We all have our roles to play, and I've decided mine will be to call out useless demagoguery whenever I see it.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Hey, I made the useful list. Thanks! Now I have to limit my demagoguery . . .

I would add that almost all of us have some items about which we are unable to see the merits of the other side, so at some point almost all of us fall into both categories. Some of us have extraneous factors (such as Carmen's pre-existing conditions, although he's still been quite fair and thoughtful about the relative merits of each side) that force us to one side or another of an issue, which may seem like demagoguery to those on the other side. Some of us (looking at you, Sandorski!) have excellent minds but often can't be bothered to explain why we think someone is an idiot, which defaults to a perception of demagoguery. Sarcasm often doesn't come through, or the tone in which a comment is perceived may not be the tone in which it was intended. And of course we differ greatly in the thickness of our skins; something that rolls off my back might well be a mortal insult to another. So besides being highly individual, such lists are highly subjective as well.

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
There are basically three groups of posters on ATPN.. useless demagogues, useful demagogues, and dispassionate observers.

What's a useless demagogue? Anyone who only criticizes "the other side", doesn't criticize "their side" when it does something wrong or stupid, and offers no useful alternatives on issues that are raised here on ATPN.

Contrast with the useful demagogue, who is someone that criticizes "the other side" but also recognizes and mentions the mistakes of "their side", and offers useful alternatives on issues.

This is in no way personal, just an assessment of their posts on this forum.

My list:

Useless Demagogues:
Hacp
Fear No Evil
boomerang
PokerGuy
spidey07
Marlin1975
Patranus
WHAMPOM
Genx87
Moonbeam
shira
ProfJohn
dmcowen674
Tristicus
Amused (borderline, though.. is occasionally useful)
Harvey
IHateViruses

Useful Demagogues:
Hayabusa Rider
werepossum
nonInear
woolfe9999
HumblePie
Mursilis
Munky
her209
blanghorst
Carmen813

Those are my lists.. what are yours?

Not sure about your system of classification. Hayabusa, for example, doesn't fit your definition of demagogue because he doesn't have a side. He is consistently an "anti" to both sides. Any system should be able to account for everyone in one category or another.

Going with your system, I would dissent to the prevailing view and add in Craig in the useful category. Very partisan, but at least attempts to back up his views and does make the occasional concession. Fern also definitely belongs in the "useful" category.

I tend to agree with the other poster who says maturity is probably the best guage.

- wolf

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
Haha, pretty awesome thread. Technically it's disallowed by the (official? unofficial?) rules of this forum but it's not like what you posted isn't completely known and obvious anyways.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
This is exactly the kind of blind partisanship that's destroying America. In the real world, dessert is simply NOT so black and white. One must look at the big picture instead of falling back on simple-minded, "my side is always right" dining. The best dessert depends on many factors including entrees, ambiance, wine selection, weight goals, and even the weather.

You partisan tools need to open your eyes and engage your tongues. The two dessert system is hurting American dining. We can do better.

lol great post.

and yes both sides are bad.

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
There are basically three groups of posters on ATPN.. useless demagogues, useful demagogues, and dispassionate observers.

What's a useless demagogue? Anyone who only criticizes "the other side", doesn't criticize "their side" when it does something wrong or stupid, and offers no useful alternatives on issues that are raised here on ATPN.

Contrast with the useful demagogue, who is someone that criticizes "the other side" but also recognizes and mentions the mistakes of "their side", and offers useful alternatives on issues.

This is in no way personal, just an assessment of their posts on this forum.

My list:

Useless Demagogues:
Hacp
Fear No Evil
boomerang
PokerGuy
spidey07
Marlin1975
Patranus
WHAMPOM
Genx87
Moonbeam
shira
ProfJohn
dmcowen674
Tristicus
Amused (borderline, though.. is occasionally useful)
Harvey
IHateViruses

Useful Demagogues:
Hayabusa Rider
werepossum
nonInear
woolfe9999
HumblePie
Mursilis
Munky
her209
blanghorst
Carmen813

Those are my lists.. what are yours?

For First Prize in bursting balloons and shitting on parades. "Thank you, thank you for the award and recognition." "Let me give special thanks to the little people who irk me the most and made this all possible, the OP in part-tick-u-liar." :D

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
Here's my list:

a quart of milk
a loaf of bread
2 cans of Starkist tuna
2 60-watt bulbs
12 pack of Pepsi
1 pack of toilet paper
1 box of Trojans
12 pack of Bud Light

This is my list and that's where I stand!

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
callo... aw, fuck it.

Finishing your original thought, this thread will now be locked. Non P&N'ers probably won't understand, but it could have gone much, much worse.

However, any unoriginal idiot who tries to follow on in a similar vein will be summarily vacationed.

Perknose
Forum Director

Status
Not open for further replies.