The Useless and the Useful

Status
Not open for further replies.

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
See last post for the thrilling conclusion of yesterday.
Perknose
Forum Director

There are basically three groups of posters on ATPN.. useless demagogues, useful demagogues, and dispassionate observers.

What's a useless demagogue? Anyone who only criticizes "the other side", doesn't criticize "their side" when it does something wrong or stupid, and offers no useful alternatives on issues that are raised here on ATPN.

Contrast with the useful demagogue, who is someone that criticizes "the other side" but also recognizes and mentions the mistakes of "their side", and offers useful alternatives on issues.

This is in no way personal, just an assessment of their posts on this forum.

My list:

Useless Demagogues:
Hacp
Fear No Evil
boomerang
PokerGuy
spidey07
Marlin1975
Patranus
WHAMPOM
Genx87
Moonbeam
shira
ProfJohn
dmcowen674
Tristicus
Amused (borderline, though.. is occasionally useful)
Harvey
IHateViruses

Useful Demagogues:
Hayabusa Rider
werepossum
nonInear
woolfe9999
HumblePie
Mursilis
Munky
her209
blanghorst
Carmen813

Those are my lists.. what are yours?

Last edited by a moderator:

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
There's also a 4th group:

So Fed Up They Don't Really Give a Shit Anymore Because They Realize Both Sides are Idiots and Only a Fool Would Tie Themselves to One Ideology. Plus We Also Prefer Pie to Cake

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
There are basically three groups of posters on ATPN.. useless demagogues, useful demagogues, and dispassionate observers.

What's a useless demagogue? Anyone who only criticizes "the other side", doesn't criticize "their side" when it does something wrong or stupid, and offers no useful alternatives on issues that are raised here on ATPN.

Contrast with the useful demagogue, who is someone that criticizes "the other side" but also recognizes and mentions the mistakes of "their side", and offers useful alternatives on issues.

This is in no way personal, just an assessment of their posts on this forum.

My list:

Useless Demagogues:
Hacp
Fear No Evil
PokerGuy
spidey07
Marlin1975
Patranus
WHAMPOM
Genx87
Moonbeam
shira
ProfJohn
dmcowen674
Tristicus
Amused (borderline, though.. is occasionally useful)
Harvey
IHateViruses

Useful Demagogues:
Hayabusa Rider
werepossum
nonInear
woolfe9999
HumblePie
Mursilis
Munky
her209
blanghorst
Carmen813

Those are my lists.. what are yours?

Seriously, you've made my day.

Even though this thread may not last very long, I'm glad you put it up.

My disagreement is this. People in this forum aren't useful or unuseful, but rather mature or immature.

People on Anandtech whose opinions I respect to whom I am ideologically opposed:

eskimospy
LegendKiller
Dari
her209
loki
woolfe

Last edited:

Fear No Evil

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2008
You say there are 3 types.. and you proceed to give 2 lists. You also fail to rate yourself. Here's my list:

Worthless Buckets of Amphibian Shit:
zsdersw

Worthless Buckets of Shit:
Everyone else - Except for Red Dawn.. I hold a special catagory for him.. close to my heart of course.. :wub:

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
I am disappoint.

You told me earlier this week that I was a useless demagogue and I didn't get any recognition in this call out thread. Tsk, tsk.

There's another group. Those that are so enamored of themselves that they make lists of others while putting them into categories.

There's nothing serious going on here in P&N. No changes to the country or the planet will occur through whatever happens here. Most posts here can be defined by two sentences.

Lefties: Your stupid.
Righties: No, you're stupid.

Thanks for sharing.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
There are two kinds people in this world. Those who categorize and those that don't?

By the way, I have a side?

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
You say there are 3 types.. and you proceed to give 2 lists. You also fail to rate yourself. Here's my list:

Worthless Buckets of Amphibian Shit:
zsdersw

Worthless Buckets of Shit:
Everyone else - Except for Red Dawn.. I hold a special catagory for him.. close to my heart of course.. :wub:

I didn't rate myself because that wouldn't be appropriate. Since I'm judging others, they can judge me by putting me in whatever category they choose.

The other list is everyone else who posts here in ATPN.

Last edited:

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
I am disappoint.

You told me earlier this week that I was a useless demagogue and I didn't get any recognition in this call out thread. Tsk, tsk.

List updated.

There's another group. Those that are so enamored of themselves that they make lists of others while putting them into categories.

There's nothing serious going on here in P&N. No changes to the country or the planet will occur through whatever happens here. Most posts here can be defined by two sentences.

Lefties: Your stupid.
Righties: No, you're stupid.

Thanks for sharing.

In no way have I said there's anything serious going on here, but I've decided that my purpose here is to call a spade a spade.

misle

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000

So Fed Up They Don't Really Give a Shit Anymore Because They Realize Both Sides are Idiots and Only a Fool Would Tie Themselves to One Ideology. Plus We Also Prefer Pie to Cake

I guess I'm in the 5th group:
So Fed Up They Don't Really Give a Shit Anymore Because They Realize Both Sides are Idiots and Only a Fool Would Tie Themselves to One Ideology. Plus We Also Prefer Cake to Pie

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
My disagreement is this. People in this forum aren't useful or unuseful, but rather mature or immature.

We're not so much in disagreement as it may seem. Being a useless demagogue is being immature.

The "useless" and "useful" isn't about them personally, but of the posts they make.

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
Haha this is funny. Lets figure out more creative ways to waste taxpayer money. Thats all democrats think about.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
I guess I'm in the 5th group:
So Fed Up They Don't Really Give a Shit Anymore Because They Realize Both Sides are Idiots and Only a Fool Would Tie Themselves to One Ideology. Plus We Also Prefer Cake to Pie
This is exactly the kind of blind partisanship that's destroying America. In the real world, dessert is simply NOT so black and white. One must look at the big picture instead of falling back on simple-minded, "my side is always right" dining. The best dessert depends on many factors including entrees, ambiance, wine selection, weight goals, and even the weather.

For example, sometimes you just can't beat Dutch apple pie a la mode. Sometimes what one really wants is a warm slice of three-layer, double fudge chocolate cake. One must also consider the great diversity within each camp. What about strawberry pie? How about French Silk? Carrot cake? Strawberry shortcake? It claims to be "cake", but is it really ... or is it an entirely different camp posing as cake?

Then there are times when both camps clearly fall short. Nothing beats fresh chocolate chip cookies on a cold winter night, or a big bowl of homemade ice cream with fresh fruit on a hot summer day. How do they fit in your simplistic, cake vs. pie ideologies?

You partisan tools need to open your eyes and engage your tongues. The two dessert system is hurting American dining. We can do better.

PS. Oh yeah, the whole "So Fed Up They Don't Really Give a Shit Anymore Because They Realize Both Sides are Idiots and Only a Fool Would Tie Themselves to One Ideology" part as it applies to politics -- Duh. That's the only sensible position.

Last edited:

Carmen813

Diamond Member
May 18, 2007
this is exactly the kind of blind partisanship that's destroying america. In the real world, desert is simply not so black and white. One must look at the big picture instead of falling back on simple-minded, "my side is always right" dining. The best desert depends on many factors including entrees, ambiance, wine selection, weight goals, and even the weather.

For example, sometimes you just can't beat dutch apple pie a la mode. Sometimes what one really wants is a warm slice of three-layer, double fudge chocolate cake. One must also consider the great diversity within each camp. What about strawberry pie? How about french silk? Carrot cake? Strawberry shortcake? It claims to be "cake", but is it really ... Or is it an entirely different camp posing as cake?

Then there are times when both camps clearly fall short. Nothing beats fresh chocolate chip cookies on a cold winter night, or a big bowl of homemade ice cream with fresh fruit on a hot summer day. How do they fit in your simplistic, cake vs. Pie ideologies?

You partisan tools need to open your eyes and engage your tongues. The two desert system is hurting american dining. We can do better.

Ps. Oh yeah, the whole "so fed up they don't really give a shit anymore because they realize both sides are idiots and only a fool would tie themselves to one ideology" part as it applies to politics -- duh. That's the only sensible position.

qft.

Status
Not open for further replies.