The Unofficial ASUS P5N-E SLI 650i Board Thread

Page 178 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

digitalether

Jan 9, 2008
Thanks! I'll give that a whirl if the HR-05 STILL doesn't allow me to change the orientation to blow out the back.
I think it's been working well blowing up...but now the fan of the Freezer 7 will bump up against the HR-05 if I keep the FReezer 7 blowing up...so I don't have a choice (I think).

digitalether

Jan 9, 2008
Does anyone have dual GTX 8800 ultras (768MB/612mhz) installed on this board?
It looks like if I put a second card in there I lose one of the PCI slots below the lower PCIE slot. Is this indeed the case?
It doesn't even look like the GTX 8800 ultra (768MB/612mhz) will clear the PCI slot...like the PCI slot is too high or something.

I'm also holding the HR-05-SLI in my hand right now and I see no way that this heat sink will fit between two of these cards on the southbridge. Does anyone have a pic of this working? ...shite, even with one card I'd like to see a pic.

For the NB, the space between the card and processor is such that the HR-05 looks to be a better fit than the HR-05-SLI...the HR-05-SLI is too close to the video card for my liking...

Ideas?

quaffapint

Jan 11, 2008
HELP!

Sorry for the shout - but new build with the Asus P5N-E SLI and on first boot all I get is a black screen - no beeps, no nothing. Just a black screen right away.

I have no idea what that could mean - Without beeps, I'm not sure were to start diagnostics...

System...
ASUS P5N-E SLI 650i
2GB Crucial Ballistix Tracer
Nvidia (some older model) PCIX video card
Intel e2180
CoolerMaster Gemini II cooler

ANY Ideas on what it could be or what to try?

Thank you for any help.

Acharash

Nov 10, 2007
@quaffapint

I'd try resetting the BIOS, maybe upgrade. Try completely clearing the CMOS (remove power plug, battery from motherboard, and leave the jumpers crossed for 15 minutes). Try posting with no peripherals attached; try even removing the PCIX card, and then remove the Ram down to 1 stick.

Good luck

Tuvoc

May 3, 2004
@quaffapint
Also try one stick and in different memory slots. You shouldn't have to, but some people have had problems with certain memoery slots

quaffapint

Jan 11, 2008
Hey - Thanks for the replies - appreciate it...

Here's the update...

- I moved to one memory stick in the 2nd black slot
- I removed the old PCI-X video card

...Turned it on and it beeped 4 or 5 times

- I then re-inserted the PCI-X video card in the same Single PCI-X slot

...Turned it on and again nothing (no beeps)

(Update - I also reset the CMOS and double-checked all PSU, Memory, video card connections and still just a black screen with no beeps.)

Does this point to a bad video card, or is that just a possible symptom? This card was just working in my older box.

Thanks again :)

quaffapint

Jan 11, 2008
Alrighty - I borrowed an old ATI Radeon X700 Pro PCI-X 16

BADABING - It worked!

So, next I put my "non-working" NVidia PCI-X 16 card in the other computer and - It worked ?! :eek:

I don't get it - The Nvidia card is an older SLI-Ready model. Why does it not work on this board, but works on the other older AMD board?

I did notice that the fan on the Nvidia card makes loud noises on my ASUS MB, but runs smoothly on the AMD machine. Is it somehow underpowered on my board, even though it's rather old?

Thanks again for the assist :)

JustaGeek

Platinum Member
Jan 27, 2007
Originally posted by: Tuvoc
Glad you've sorted it ! :)

Tuvoc - I've got a question.

I could not get the SMART info for my Hard Drives in my Vista 64, nor could I monitor the Hard Drive temperatures.

I uninstalled the NVidia Media Shield, and with the standard Microsoft IDE drivers, I've got the SMART info and the temperatures back.

Vista also seems to be working better with the standard IDE drivers: the opening screen has a bit of a fade effect, whereas with the NVidia drivers it would just "pop" open, and the whole "environment" feels "softer".

The Windows Update tried to install the NVidia SATA drivers, but I marked that "Important" update as "hidden", so it won't self install.

Are you fine with the NVidia SATA drivers on your Business x64...?

Anyone else with opinions/suggestions...?

TIA.

digitalether

Jan 9, 2008
I answered my own question....you do indeed lose a PCI slot if you install dual cards/SLI.
What the heck am I doing using a wireless card anyhow? Allz I need is a sound card.

My HR-05 went on today with no issues. 3 hrs of Crysis and mobo temp went from 52 down to 44...awesome. I still have the freezer 7 pro pointing upwards and out the top fan of the P180B...no problems there either. CPU is 41 when lazy, no more than 44 when gaming. I've seen better, but this will do until i need to overclock.

On another note...I installed another 2GB of the troublesome Corsair XMS2 2x2048 PC6400 ram again. The first time I had to manually set the timings and some other geeky stuff (Thanks to the "Corsair RAM GUY")...however, to add these additional two 2GB I had to lower the mem speed from 800 to 667 mhz (thanks again RAM GUY).

So, if anyone needs the specs on how to run 4GB of TWIN2x2048-6400C4G on this mobo....i got them. 4-4-4-12 with the mem voltage bumped to 2.085, TRC=24 and the timing set to 2t.

If anyone got this to work with the mem speed not lowered to 667 please let me know.

Hope this post helps at least one more person...thanks to everyone on this thread for helping me out...you guys rock.

Tuvoc

May 3, 2004
Originally posted by: JustaGeek
Tuvoc - I've got a question.

I could not get the SMART info for my Hard Drives in my Vista 64, nor could I monitor the Hard Drive temperatures.

I uninstalled the NVidia Media Shield, and with the standard Microsoft IDE drivers, I've got the SMART info and the temperatures back.

Vista also seems to be working better with the standard IDE drivers: the opening screen has a bit of a fade effect, whereas with the NVidia drivers it would just "pop" open, and the whole "environment" feels "softer".

The Windows Update tried to install the NVidia SATA drivers, but I marked that "Important" update as "hidden", so it won't self install.

Are you fine with the NVidia SATA drivers on your Business x64...?

Anyone else with opinions/suggestions...?

TIA.

I don't think I have ever installed any Nvidia drivers on mine - just whatever was originally installed or came via windows update. Although that may have given me the NVidia ones anyway. I'll check and get back to you

Tuvoc

May 3, 2004
JustaGeek,
I do have the nvidia driver installed, it says:
Nvidia Corporation
2/7/2007 (that's 2nd July)
Version 5.10.2600.995

It seems fine to me

JustaGeek

Platinum Member
Jan 27, 2007
JustaGeek,
I do have the nvidia driver installed, it says:
Nvidia Corporation
2/7/2007 (that's 2nd July)
Version 5.10.2600.995

It seems fine to me

But you don't get the SMART info and the Hard Drive temperatures, correct...?

JustaGeek

Platinum Member
Jan 27, 2007

But you don't get the SMART info and the Hard Drive temperatures, correct...?

No, I don't ....

Thank you.

I will have to decide if I want to run the generic IDE, or the "incomplete" NVidia drivers.

My PCMark05 score is lower with the generic drivers, and the Hard Drives are clearly slower, based on the transfer rate testing.

I really hope NVidia gets their act together - it is really disappointing that they can't release a fully featured SATA driver almost 1 year after the official Vista release.

It will definitely affect my future purchase decisions. I like the chipset, but I want to be able to use it to its full, if not basic capabilities.

Thanks again.

Tuvoc

May 3, 2004

I really hope NVidia gets their act together - it is really disappointing that they can't release a fully featured SATA driver almost 1 year after the official Vista release.

It will definitely affect my future purchase decisions. I like the chipset, but I want to be able to use it to its full, if not basic capabilities.

Thanks again.

Yes - I won't be buying another NVidia chipset board after this experience. The Gigabyte Intel chipset board on my other machine is SO much better...

digitalether

Jan 9, 2008
Does anyone know for sure what these speedfan sensors correlate to?
...just want to make sure.

temp1:42c, temp2:46c, temp3:25c, Core0:31c, Core1:30c

The ASUS probe's CPU measurement matches speefan's temp1....and the ASUS probe "motherboard" matches what speedfan has for temp2.
I assume the core0 and core1 are the spu core...so how is this different than the temp1 reading?
So what is temp3?

Also...is the motherboard temp the northbridge or southbridge temp?
any help is appreciated...thanks.

I have a p5n-e (obviously), E6850, WD Raptor 150g and xfx 8800 ultra.

digitalether

Jan 9, 2008
@ quaffapint

I had this happen to me when I installed 2 more GB (4gb total) of Corsair XMS2 PC6400 C4 Ram. I had to reduce the mem clock speed from 800 to 667.

Perhpas start that way?

In the bios set the mem to unlinked, then change the speed by entering 667 manually.

I have the most current bios for the mobo....

Ordskii

Nov 20, 2007
Hi All. My memory now set, I am back to an old question.

I installed 64 bit Vista Enterprise and all seems good but 1) my GeForce 8800GTS 640 card is read by the OS has having no memory and is not aero ready. It does run Crysis and other games just fine. (And its not so bad with a classic look - but I am running the latest NVidia direvrs and thought it might work.)

I also have no esata as the JMicron drivers don't seem to run the port.

Any thoughts?

acatalyst

Jan 7, 2008
i need help!!! i want to get my 4 x 1gig (1066) to run at 1066. Right now im only at 800. what setting do i have to tweak?

i have the FSB at 1066 unlinked and RAM at 1066. RAM still runs at 800

this is my set-up:
-----------------------
MOBO: p5n-e sli (0803 driver)
CPU: Q6600 (2.4)
RAM: Munshin 4 x 1gig

Acharash

Nov 10, 2007
@acatalyst

not many people have been able to get 4x1Gb stable at all with this motherboard, let alone at the speeds you want it. I haven't been able to get my RAM up to that sort of speed, and have to currently run it at a 2:3 ratio. Generally keeping the FSB:RAM ratio at 1:1 provides better bandwidth and latency, but keeping the ratio in lower figures does a good enough job. Just don't go getting a ratio of 234:144 or something stupid.
Previous posts in this forum will explain.
BTW - if you're running your Q6600 @ 2.4, it looks like you've got your FSB set to 1066. If you have a decent aftermarket CPU cooler, you can bump this up to 1333, which will make your CPU run at 3.0GHz. This will instantly increase your speed, and allow you to run your RAM a bit higher anyway. If you want to run it at a different ratio, say 2:3 or something to speed up your RAM, you should still be able to get reasonable results.

rt182

Aug 28, 2007
hey guys my friend just got one of these boards just wondering which bios he should be using hes currently got the most up to date version you can get on the asus website but there seem to be a few issues like the pc doesnt shut down properly
Systems specs
Vista Home P (32 bit)
Q6600
2 gb 800 mhz ram
P5NE SLI

pdwill

Jan 1, 2008
Greetings and thanks in advance for any advice you can throw my way. I have reviewed a lot of info throughout this forum and others and am hopefully beginning to get a few clues on how to proceed. Your collective knowledge is a motivator!
I am new to doing my own builds and must admit to being overwhelmed. On my first attempt with this set up it would not post or send a signal to the monitor. I foolishly took it to a repair shop and they kept it for a week and then told me it was either a bad motherboard or faulty cpu. My gut tells me they did not even try to diagnose the issues. I rma'd the mb/cpu on their suggestion and finally have the replacements. In the interim I have been doing a lot of research regarding the motherboard and cpu. I'll be damned if I will hit the repair shop again without trying everything I can find first.
My basic request is this, what is the best initial BIOS to use and what settings are recommended to initially set up the following? :

ASUS P5N-E SLI
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4 GHz
OCZ Platinum Rev 2 (2 x 1024MB)PC6400 DDR2 800MHz Dual Channel Memory
Thermatake/Silent 775/Copper Core/Copper Heatpipes/CPU Fan
Ultra/ X-Finity/600 Watt/ATX Titanium PSU
XFX GeForce 8600 GTS Video Card (single-SLI later)
Vista Home Premium

I just want to get the system up and stable. Later, as I get more confidence I can look into overclocking. I have reviewed the initial set up advice and have followed it closely. Set up first out of the case, 1 stick of ram, no hard drive or optical,etc. I have assembled it once before and was careful with grounding. I
have been able to get into bios and make adjustments but the computer will power down after 4- 5 minutes. It will reboot easily, run for a few minutes without problems and then shut down again....any ideas?

acatalyst

Jan 7, 2008
Thanks Acharash, I have not messed with any of the OC'ing yet. I wanted to be sure everything was running stable 1st. I will try what you said about the ratio settings and post my results. Its unfortunate that Asus says the 650i will run @ 1066 RAM when it really cant. I do have an Artic Cooler Pro 7 HS/Fan on the cpu so im sure there will not be a heat issue.

sblake

Jun 28, 2001
As far as I have been able to tell the ASUS P5N-E SLI board with the correct BIOS is ready for an E8400. Does anyone have any information to the contrary and does anyone know what the oldest BIOS is that will run an E8400 on this board.