The Unofficial ASUS P5N-E SLI 650i Board Thread

Page 176 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

rradam

Dec 17, 2007
I was thinking about the g.skill F2-6400CL4D-4GBPK or the a-data ADQVE1B16K any ideas? Ive pretty much given up on the mushkin

Acharash

Nov 10, 2007
Hey guys, I've got memtest spitting errors at me... What does it mean? Is my RAM knackered? Or could something else be it?

Acharash

Nov 10, 2007
reset CMOS to default, not giving errors anymore... Wonder why it started... Can someone give me a general idea of their voltages, timings and frequencies for an e6600 in this board? I was wanting to push from 3 to 3.2 with 4-4-4-12 2t, and I didn't think I was going to have anything like these problems. Mostly interested in the voltages please!

monkelyoy

Jul 14, 2002
For those that are considering G. Skill I could not install Windows on my new machine with their PC2 6400 2 GB kit. Blue screens aplenty. Was able to install windows after removing one stick. I then purchased Crucial Balistix 2 Gig and it runs fine at 800 MHz in dual channel mode. It could be a number of things, strickly FYI.

I still have the common problem of boot erros when using a soft reset. Power has to be turned off completely or it hangs on the initial splash screen. Anyone figure this out?

rradam

Dec 17, 2007
I tried the other 2 slots and that was no dice. I tried tweaking the voltages on all the vcore, nb, and dram. I can get it stable as long as its pretty much idle - running 3 instances hci memtest and there are no errors, but the system will lock up after a period. When trying to install programs from DVD or CD, the system will often lock up - even with just 2 gigs.

I set the DLT freq. to x3, and clocked the ram down to 667. So it appears that 4 gigs in 2x2gb dual channel mode just doesnt work with this board. :\ I have not seen anyone pull it off.

Acharash

Nov 10, 2007
I ran in at 4Gb and was fine, but it just threw errors in memtest...
I'm thinking of upgrading my board, since it's about the only thing limiting me atm...

BustinCapps

Dec 20, 2007
Hey all. I'm also new here. My PC info and settings are as follows if the info may help any 1.

- p5ne-sli (703)
- fsb 200 @ 300 or 1200
- NB @ 1.56
- C2D e4400 2.0 @ 3.0 ( 10X multi) @ 1.344v (auto)
- OCZ plat rev 2 6400 4x1GB 2.08v @ 800 4-4-4-12 2t unlinked ratio
- foxconn 8800 gts 320mb factory OC
- ultra 500 watt 34 amp psu
- AC freezer 7 pro with HS and fan on NB chip with HS on SB chip
- 5 x 80 mm 20 db base fans
- vista 64

Have been orthos and games stable for several months. Did initially have issues with going from 2x1 gigs of ram @ 800 4-4-4-15 1t stock to 4 gigs. With 4x1 gigs i had to set NB to 1.56v and mem to 2.08v and command rate to 2t to ensure stability and then flipped Tras to 12 . I am also running ram async at stock speed. The NB and SB cooling were added later so that i could reseat the cpu cooler to blow toward rear fans.
Future buyers beware the NB stock HS will block the normal orientation of an AC freezer 7 pro.

System purchased in june 07

PLS note that voltages maybe off ...(can't remember the exact BIOS values)

Coolman256

Jul 6, 2007
I decided to dig up a bench power supply and try another peltier cooled setup, so I splurged on a G0 Q6600 and water cooling and decided that a 650i SLI board would suffice. Not that the board is bad, it runs 24/7 stable for the most part, and right above freezing at that. I have 4x512MB of DDR2-1050 Ballistix Tracer and I have to clock it way back and use unlinked fixed frequency of around 667 to overclock at all. Would 2 sticks allow me to clock the ram higher, or perhaps use 1:1 linked? I just ordered a new PSU, because I'm thinking that my old dual 7800GTX's and q6600 and everything else are maxing out my 550 Watt antec and im hitting a wall of just over 3Ghz with my Q6600. Anyone think I should be getting more out of it? Considering I can sit at 3Ghz at like 1.2V... Ive looked at the power consumption charts and it looks like after 3Ghz the quads seem to pull massive amounts. 0608 is the only bios that seems to work right for me too. Can't even get to 3Ghz with anything newer. Seems kind of weak, considering the thing runs at 38 degrees F, and under continuous load it wont even rise above 75. If I could lower the room ambient temp it'd run below freezing no problem. It keeps me warm in the winter and makes me not want to use the PC in the summer! Anyways, anyone else think that I could be overdrawing the PSU once I hit a little above 3Ghz? I have 4 120MM fans, 2 SATA drives, 2 7800GTXs, an X-fi, 2 DVD drives and the board and Q6600 on the PSU, and I could see once it needs 100+ Watts to run it may be pushing it on the 550W. The water pump doesnt even run on the PSU, lol, squeezed it in on the aux PSU, big old meanwell not those small ones they sell on cooling sites. Its cool to just have a cool running, functioning peltier PC, But I honestly expected a tiny bit more than 3Ghz (I thought at least 3.2) .. the northbridge is cooled with a all copper heatsink with integrated fan, and a bare heatsink on the southbridge. I open to any suggestions, and Im going to put the 750W PSU in there in the mean time to see if that makes any difference.

Tuvoc

May 3, 2004
At a guess I would say the 550w PSU may be limiting you, yes. But no way to be sure unless you try a new one

But I've heard of a few people hitting a wall at 3GHz with the Q6600 G0 on this board, so maybe it's a board issue. I have a theory that the board handles the older B3 steppings better than the new G0, but no hard evidence on that

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
Originally posted by: monkelyoy
For those that are considering G. Skill I could not install Windows on my new machine with their PC2 6400 2 GB kit. Blue screens aplenty. Was able to install windows after removing one stick. I then purchased Crucial Balistix 2 Gig and it runs fine at 800 MHz in dual channel mode. It could be a number of things, strickly FYI.

I still have the common problem of boot erros when using a soft reset. Power has to be turned off completely or it hangs on the initial splash screen. Anyone figure this out?

What OS? Don't forget that there is a specific hot fix for Vista with 2GB+ that explicitly deals with this. If you have a 4GB kit (2x2GB) its recommended to install with only 1 x 2GB, apply the hot fix, then install the 2nd stick.

Originally posted by: Acharash
I ran in at 4Gb and was fine, but it just threw errors in memtest...
I'm thinking of upgrading my board, since it's about the only thing limiting me atm...
I have this board as well but no longer my main rig. I can't remember if there's VTT settings for the P5N-E but that made a HUGE difference in terms of OC'ing and especially FSB stability with my current board and a Q6600. My C2D didn't need to touch the VTT in order to hit the same FSB speeds but apparently its a feature that specifically helps with OC'ing quads.

Ancalagon The Black

Dec 30, 2007
I just bought this board and was wondering if it comes with the updated bios or not.(yes I have searched the interwebs and this forum):p

I'm assuming it's from a relatively new batch.

I'm also getting the e6750 and it would be nice if I didn't have to update to 608? bios myself being a relative noob at this type of thing.:confused:

JustaGeek

Platinum Member
Jan 27, 2007
Originally posted by: Ancalagon The Black
I just bought this board and was wondering if it comes with the updated bios or not.(yes I have searched the interwebs and this forum):p

I'm assuming it's from a relatively new batch.

I'm also getting the e6750 and it would be nice if I didn't have to update to 608? bios myself being a relative noob at this type of thing.:confused:

Welcome to AT forums!

I believe that you will have to update to 0608, because the previous releases supporting your CPU were not as stable.

Do not use the ASUS update, the Windows based utility, to update the BIOS.

Use either EZflash from within the BIOS, or as I recommend, the AWARD flash utility with the procedure described here.

Good luck!

sc00terx

Apr 23, 2007
had this for a bit but i got rid as out of the box it did not take the cpu i wanted and the bios update just would not let the thing post at all also i got some real bad help from tec suport i was told to take off the bios chip and they sent me a new one what i had to pay for
(usa) to the (uk) cost me a few £££
big mistake as the board did not have a bios chip that would come off pity they did not know this befor i was told thats why i went off asus if they dont know there board and they make them then well :(

as for a bios update most of the motherborads i have done in the past have been fine but this chipset is one hell of a pain no mater what make abit or asus or what ever

just make a boot disk and update from that as yes the windows program is a bit of a nightmare on asus street :)

i wish i would of waited and saved my money now and went for osmething with out a 650I chipset :(

but i am stuck with it so make best of it me thinks

as ever scooter

OldTechnut

Dec 30, 2007
Acharash,

I spent the last five days, installing and updating this motherboard and after reviewing the ASUS site under the motherboard (forum), I have found that there is a definite memory hole with this motherboard. I started with XP Pro SP2, and could only install two of the 2gig sticks of DDR2 (800) A-DATA memory, when I updated to Vista Business 32 I could only boot after lowering the Memory speed to (711), at this point I upgraded to Vista Business 64 and I am able to run all 8GIG of the A-DATA memory at either below(711) or above (866).

There is a lot of information on the ASUS forum dealing with the memory hole. I also test Gskill 2g sticks with the same results. ASUS techs say the problem is the memory, but there is to much evidence that the motherboard bios or NB has the hole. I hope this helps other trying to update and install.
Lee alias OldTechnut :roll:

Ordskii

Nov 20, 2007
Take 2 - no cat on keyboard. Hi Justageek. I want to add a third 1GB stick of GSkill memory - what slots are you using? (mine is GBNQ run stock at 1.9v on a dual boot XP + Vista Enterprise system) Cheap enough to give it a try.

Thanks in advance.

cjb0511

Jun 30, 2004
Hey, new to the forum but I figured I would tell my story of what I have done with my P5N-E SLI. I have an E4300 and I was stuck at 3ghz stable for a long time with just the Thermaltake V1 and 2gigs of Patriot DDR800. I happened to get 2gigs of crucial ballistix DDR1066 ram for free so I threw that in there to try to get it more stable past 3ghz in linked mode but that took me no where. I then added the northbridge, southbridge, and mosfet heatsinks and I also turned my CPU fan/heatsink in order to suck air directly across the northbridge heatsink. This got me to 3.375ghz as soon as I turned the computer on. I also adjusted my ram to 1000mhz to give a linked 3:2 ratio for the just in case extra stablilty. My Vcore is 1.4 +.100, NB auto, CPU Max temp 52C. Orthos stable for 8 hours and no game crashes for 2 days so far. I think I can get 3.4ghz and maybe 3.5ghz but I am having to turn the Vcore way up just to get to where I am now. You guys think high 50s is too hot to run at all time on an E4300 if I tried for higher?

My Computer

OldTechnut

Dec 30, 2007
Ancalagon The Black
I purchased my board from New Egg about three weeks ago and it came with 0703 which I updated to 0801. No bios problems except the memory hole which is in all of the versions.
hope this helps:)

antirobot

Jan 24, 2007
Hey guys. It's been a long time since I've posted, but I've run into a few issues and I'm hoping someone may have had similar experiences. I've been able to run my 6600 at 3.0 (1333FSB with memory at 800), but I recently acquired 2GB more of the same corsair xms 6400. I upgraded to Vista x64 and took care of the hotfixes, and I also installed a thermaltake 120 extreme that dumped my temperatures by around 20C.

Once I installed the two extra sticks, it didn't boot (which I was expecting). However, I haven't come up with any combo of things that allows me to boot with the memory above the 700 mark or so. I have also experienced issues OCing the processor and while it is fine at 1333, I was actually able to get higher stable clocks before.

I've experienced some odditites in Vista such as services shutting down or programs crashing, although it hasn't ever locked up or BSOD'd on me.

I'm currently running at default clocks and timings to see if I get any other weird hang ups in Vista. I'm keeping the vcore at 1.35, NB at 1.56, and memory at 2.013 with 5-5-5-12 2T timings.

My main question is whether anybody has managed to get the corsair back to 800 mhz and whether that actually makes enough of a difference to matter? I've seen mention of a memory hole in a few posts. Is it possible I am just hanging up in this area, or am I stuck below stock speed?

Thanks in advance.

Tuvoc

May 3, 2004
Originally posted by: antirobot
snip........ and I also installed a thermaltake 120 extreme that dumped my temperatures by around 20C.

Did the thermaltake 120 extreme fit straight on without any modification ? Does it clear the Northbridge OK ?

antirobot

Jan 24, 2007
The 120 fit just fine without any modding. I originally had a small cpu fan mounted on the NB which I had to move a bit, but the heatsink seats fine without changing anything. Now, as far as fitting in that RAIDMAX case, that's a whole other story.

Speaking of the heatsink reminds me of another question I had. I've noticed people usually mention one temperature when talking about CPU temp. Is it generally the core temperature (or temperatures for dual core) or the CPU temperature most people list?

Tuvoc

May 3, 2004
thanks for the info. I wonder if it will fit into my Lian-Li PC7...

Some people refer to core temps and some refer to the socket temp (lower). Core temps are preferable as a measure and most people here seem to talk about them

RAM - the 4 x 1GB hole is roughly between 723 and 838 - I run at 711 but the machine happily boots at 860. You could give that a try

I don't have any stability problems at all with Vista - my machine is 100% stable

JustaGeek

Platinum Member
Jan 27, 2007
Originally posted by: Ordskii
Take 2 - no cat on keyboard. Hi Justageek. I want to add a third 1GB stick of GSkill memory - what slots are you using? (mine is GBNQ run stock at 1.9v on a dual boot XP + Vista Enterprise system) Cheap enough to give it a try.

Thanks in advance.

I use Black Slots for my 2 x 1GB modules, and Yellow for 2 x 512MB modules.

The 512MB sticks are single-sided, so I placed them in yellow so as to face to the left for cooling - the chips face the open space in Slot 1 and the Wider Gap in Slot 3, with the PCB side facing the 1GB modules in Black Slots.

I would recommend using the matching pairs, instead of the 3rd stick, so you can take advantage of the Dual Channel bandwidth.

Hope this helps.

antirobot

Jan 24, 2007
Thanks Tuvoc; I may play around with my speeds a little to see what happens. As far as the heatsink not fitting in my case, the problem is that the sides of my case rotate out. It makes accessing the mobo a snap, but when you try to rotate it back into the case: suprise! There's no way to get the cooler past the psu, and removing the psu doesn't help because there is a sort of cage built around it that you can't move. Fortunately, once the heatsink's backplate is in place, you can remove the heatsink at will. The tricky part is getting it in place the first time around.

OldTechnut

Dec 30, 2007
antirobot,
As I posted there is a memory hole between 712 and about 830 my system runs and boots fine at either 711 or 866.:cool: