The Unofficial ASUS P5N-E SLI 650i Board Thread

Page 100 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dlfcobra

Feb 1, 2007
just got the ninja cpu cooler, Noctua NC-U6 on northbridge, coolermaster blue ice on the southbridge, and the Zalman VF-900 put on the 7900GT. WOW i'm one cool dude now....lol sorry that was kinda funny... so now i'm going to see what kind of OC's i can get now.. Also i used the artic silver ceramique which had some pretty good ratings..

dlfcobra

Feb 1, 2007
ASUS P5N-E SLI (BIOS 0401)
E6300 C2D (L632A473)@ 3150 (450X7)
Artic Freezer Pro 7
A-DATA 2 X 512MB (5-5-5-15 2T)
BFG GeForce 7900GS (OPENED EXTRA PIPE AND VERTEX SHADER 24PP/8VP), NOT OCed YET)
ANTEC 500W
Rosewill R604TBLK-N Case
1 X Seagate 160G SATAII (Boot)
1 X Seagate 400G IDE (Storage)
Active cooling on NB and SB
Vcore 1.41
VDimm AUTO

AZdude
what is your FSB set too??? thanks

imported_KG

Feb 12, 2007
Speedfan readings - Should I be worried? (See negative voltages!)

http://www.kevangoddard.com/img/p687549852.jpg

Apologies - zenfolio (my picture hosting site) seems to be down at the moment.

The bottom third of speedfan's screen is split into three and I am seeing some frightening figures:

Left hand side:
+3.3v is 0.00????

Middle:
-12v is -16.8!!
-5v is -8.53v!!!
+5v OK
Vbat 3.10v ?

PS What are Temp 1, 2 and 3? and the final temp 1?

Thanks
KG

jniles

Dec 31, 2005
Originally posted by: Core2
Originally posted by: jniles
what is going on with the Freezer 7 ? $89.00 @ the EGG, OOS everywhere !!!!
I guess maybe I will go with the Zalman 9500, any comments ?

I have my E6300 @ 3325 ,54c orthos (1hr+) stock cooler

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?...ZER-7-PRO&manufacture=Arctic%20Cooling

http://www.us.ncix.com/products/index.p...ZER-7-PRO&manufacture=Arctic%20Cooling

I guess I spoke to highly about it. It is one of the best air coolers. Glad I bought some extras. Their all low on stock. Check around you might find some
http://www.directron.com/acfz7pro.html

http://www.pcextreme.com/catalog/sku/cpu-arc-16.html

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1410/..._4_LGA_775_Pentium_D.html?tl=g40c14s52

maybe the Egg should kick up a few % profit to you:laugh:

imported_KG

Feb 12, 2007
Answered my own question from Almico's FAQs:

Negative voltages are shown incorrectly
Hardware sensor chips are generic devices that can be used to measure voltages from anywhere. The measured voltage must be converted to the range required by the sensor chip. Standard monitoring chips specify which external circuitry must be used in order to measure voltages outside some range. Voltages like 12V, -5V, -12V and some others need this external circuitry. Some manufacturers chose not to follow datasheets. If this is your case, then you will read unusual values from SpeedFan. Since this custom circuitry is not known, SpeedFan does not try to "guess" it as any reading wouldn't be safe. If you get really odd voltage readings, simply enter configuration and uncheck the relevant ones.

Now that's a relief.

Cheerz
KG

DeadMan3000

Jan 24, 2007
Hey guys I noticed something odd on the sound output of this board. I had a horrible noise coming out the line out to my speakers. It would pick up hard drive access etc. Turns out it was the PC SPeaker option in the mixer had to be muted/crossed. Anyone else have that?

Core2

Dec 28, 2006
Originally posted by: KG
Answered my own question from Almico's FAQs:

Negative voltages are shown incorrectly
Hardware sensor chips are generic devices that can be used to measure voltages from anywhere. The measured voltage must be converted to the range required by the sensor chip. Standard monitoring chips specify which external circuitry must be used in order to measure voltages outside some range. Voltages like 12V, -5V, -12V and some others need this external circuitry. Some manufacturers chose not to follow datasheets. If this is your case, then you will read unusual values from SpeedFan. Since this custom circuitry is not known, SpeedFan does not try to "guess" it as any reading wouldn't be safe. If you get really odd voltage readings, simply enter configuration and uncheck the relevant ones.

Now that's a relief.

Cheerz
KG

Did you follow the instructions on page 92 for speedfan. You need to replace the speedfan.exe with the speedfan Beta .exe I also posted my config files a few pages back just copy them and paste them into your files. Pressing F1 while in the program brings up a help file. Ask DeadMan3000, he's now our Expert adviser for speedfan.

Edit: My speedfan config files are on page 120

Core2

Dec 28, 2006
I need people that are having problems getting their ram to reach higher speeds or 1T to try something for me. Adjust the tRC in your ram timings to 11, 22 or 30 and let me now if you notice any ease of higher speeds or performance gain ( 1T ). Don't forget to also increase voltage to the ram as needed

jdrom17

Jan 23, 2007
Well the HSFs arrived a few days ago so I got busy installing them. The MX-1 paste I had was pretty tough to work with so I ended up just using a dab in the center of the CPU. Seems to be fine temperature wise, about 60C load and idle is about 40C, considering my case has nearly 0 airflow.

Here's the pictures.

http://img412.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc01415rq8.jpg
http://img256.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc01420kj6.jpg
http://img256.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc01421su4.jpg
http://img261.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc01426to6.jpg

Overall it was a very tight fit into my case. I had to plug in the 4pin power with the motherboard outside of the case, otherwise I was unable to access it. There is a 60mm Panaflow thin fan on the chipset heatsink as well, just for a little extra cooling. Thanks to Noctua for making some great heatsinks and fans, if you have the space, I'd recommend the setup or similar since you don't have to use dual 120mm fans.

dronf23

Jan 18, 2007
Hello,

I was a reader of this thread for the first 30 or so pages, but have fallen behind.

I have a question about this board that i was hoping someone could assist me with.

I currently have 1GB of memory, 2x512MB. Is there a problem with filling all 4 slots? I vaguely remember reading something about that but couldn't find it in the search. Ideally it would be 2 more 512mb of the same RAM. Is there a problem with using different RAM?

thanks!

edit: FYI I am not currently overclocking. I have taken my e6600 up to 3.3, but with stock cpu cooling i do not feel comfortable keeping it there.

Core2

Dec 28, 2006
Originally posted by: dronf23
Hello,

I was a reader of this thread for the first 30 or so pages, but have fallen behind.

I have a question about this board that i was hoping someone could assist me with.

I currently have 1GB of memory, 2x512MB. Is there a problem with filling all 4 slots? I vaguely remember reading something about that but couldn't find it in the search. Ideally it would be 2 more 512mb of the same RAM. Is there a problem with using different RAM?

thanks!

edit: FYI I am not currently overclocking. I have taken my e6600 up to 3.3, but with stock cpu cooling i do not feel comfortable keeping it there.

I have had 4 x 512 in my board with no problems. Some people can't do it. Maybe they need more voltage or the slots are not functioning right. Some boards react different

jkcheng122

Dec 31, 2006

I guess I spoke to highly about it. It is one of the best air coolers. Glad I bought some extras. Their all low on stock. Check around you might find some

[/L]

they're all low in stock all right, we're out of stock on this.

the one problem i have with all other coolers is that to get the same if not only slightly better cooling performance/quietness, u have to shell out twice the money and be forced to remove the motherboard to install.

Core2

Dec 28, 2006
Originally posted by: jkcheng122

[/L]

they're all low in stock all right, we're out of stock on this.

the one problem i have with all other coolers is that to get the same if not only slightly better cooling performance/quietness, u have to shell out twice the money and be forced to remove the motherboard to install.

How have you made out with your temps? Try what I said a few posts back about changing the tRC on your memory timings. Did you get your flying mount. My son's been flying for a week now. I can't get him off the game.

dronf23

Jan 18, 2007
Originally posted by: dronf23
Hello,

thanks!

I have had 4 x 512 in my board with no problems. Some people can't do it. Maybe they need more voltage or the slots are not functioning right. Some boards react different

Well, i'll go ahead and give it a try. I just ordered another 2x512 of the same stuff.

Wish i had just bit the bullet and bought 2x1GB when i put the system together in the first place :D

jniles

Dec 31, 2005
Originally posted by: DeadMan3000
Hey guys I noticed something odd on the sound output of this board. I had a horrible noise coming out the line out to my speakers. It would pick up hard drive access etc. Turns out it was the PC SPeaker option in the mixer had to be muted/crossed. Anyone else have that?

I had to update my audio drivers to version 5.10.0.5324

Asus website has it for download but it was taking forever to download so I goggled and found it at another site

AZDude

Jan 18, 2007
Originally posted by: dlfcobra
ASUS P5N-E SLI (BIOS 0401)
E6300 C2D (L632A473)@ 3150 (450X7)
Artic Freezer Pro 7
A-DATA 2 X 512MB (5-5-5-15 2T)
BFG GeForce 7900GS (OPENED EXTRA PIPE AND VERTEX SHADER 24PP/8VP), NOT OCed YET)
ANTEC 500W
Rosewill R604TBLK-N Case
1 X Seagate 160G SATAII (Boot)
1 X Seagate 400G IDE (Storage)
Active cooling on NB and SB
Vcore 1.41
VDimm AUTO

AZdude
what is your FSB set too??? thanks

Haven't been on for a couple days and just saw your post.

My fsb is set at 1800/Mem is at 800. Going to start working the memory in a couple days.

dlfcobra

Feb 1, 2007
AZDUDE:
did you have any problems with the FSB between 1450-1600?? i can't seem to get it any higher than 1400 ATM. I've got cooling on both NB and SB, my Volts are listed in my sig. just need some help... i'd love to be right where your at...

chefcg1

Feb 10, 2007
thanks core2. I guess I can measure resistance across the resistor and see what it changes with a pensil stroke. From what I've ready it sounds like every 20k ohms change is about .1volt. Does that sound about right? How many ohms should I be shooting for to help with the voltage drope under load? 50 k ohms?
Thanks.

Congrats! on your wedding Genuine Imatation.

Core2

Dec 28, 2006
Originally posted by: chefcg1
thanks core2. I guess I can measure resistance across the resistor and see what it changes with a pensil stroke. From what I've ready it sounds like every 20k ohms change is about .1volt. Does that sound about right? How many ohms should I be shooting for to help with the voltage drope under load? 50 k ohms?
Thanks.

Congrats! on your wedding Genuine Imatation.

dlxmax is the electronics expert. He can advise you better than I can. He has done the vmod

jkcheng122

Dec 31, 2006
How have you made out with your temps? Try what I said a few posts back about changing the tRC on your memory timings. Did you get your flying mount. My son's been flying for a week now. I can't get him off the game.

it's not the flying mount, most everyone can get that soon as they hit level 70, the epic flying mount is much more difficult, but flies almost 4x faster.

i will give the new trc settings a try tonight. temps are good, idle around 37, 38C, havent really checked it on load since gaming covers whole screen. it's beens stable tho so i'm not too worried about it. dont really feel the need to run orthos if everything i do on the pc is stable.

i still need to run 3dmark06 after putting in a new video card. i had originally planned to upgrade to 8800gts "after" better vista drivers come out, but my 7900GT recently started glitching up and very soon gotten to the point where i couldnt see anything on the screen. the 8800gts is running very nicely right now, i dont think i will bother overclocking it, after having seen 2 factory oc'ed 7900gt's both become defective in a year if not less of use.

chrismr

Feb 8, 2007
Well, got all my heatsinks today, and so far I am not a happy bunny. Currently I am only seeing a couple degree difference between stock cooler and my Tuniq Tower 120. I guess I will have to try re-seating it - sigh.

I am very nervous about even toughing the thing. There is pretty much no room in between it and the hr-05, and I am worried about bumping the hr-05 and damaging the NB, as the hr-05 does not have the most secure fittings. And also the bracket for the 120 is pushing against one of the capacitors near the cpu and I am worried about putting too much pressure and breaking it.

The hr-05 is keeping the NB about 5 degrees cooler, which is not too bad, and that will drop when I put a fan on it. But it is not allowing me any better overclocking on the FSB - think I got a bit of a dud motherboard, as can't get much past 1500.

If I don't at least get my temps down, I am going to be pissed I spent all this money...

jkcheng122

Dec 31, 2006
Originally posted by: chrismr
Well, got all my heatsinks today, and so far I am not a happy bunny. Currently I am only seeing a couple degree difference between stock cooler and my Tuniq Tower 120. I guess I will have to try re-seating it - sigh.

I am very nervous about even toughing the thing. There is pretty much no room in between it and the hr-05, and I am worried about bumping the hr-05 and damaging the NB, as the hr-05 does not have the most secure fittings. And also the bracket for the 120 is pushing against one of the capacitors near the cpu and I am worried about putting too much pressure and breaking it.

The hr-05 is keeping the NB about 5 degrees cooler, which is not too bad, and that will drop when I put a fan on it. But it is not allowing me any better overclocking on the FSB - think I got a bit of a dud motherboard, as can't get much past 1500.

If I don't at least get my temps down, I am going to be pissed I spent all this money...

have u tried taking the NB voltage to 1.563?

noreaga0221

Feb 7, 2007
So what ram is everybody agreeing on that is the best for this board? I'm not trying for world record OC's but 3ghz out of a e6600 would be nice. If I want 400mhz bus speed should I buy 800 ram or is there cheaper 667 ram that will OC nicely?

chrismr

Feb 8, 2007
And this board can also be quite odd. As am overclocking I upped the Vcore a little bit at a time to find the stable voltage for my current overclock of 3.15GHz, I got up to 1.4, setting it manually and it was erroring after about 10 to 15 min in Orthos. Just for the hell of it, I set it to auto (and not using the 100mV increase) and it has been stable for 45 min so far... what's that about???

chrismr

Feb 8, 2007
Originally posted by: jkcheng122

have u tried taking the NB voltage to 1.563?

Yep, and actually up to 1.7, just to check....

This board/chip combo simply won't let me go up to 1600, which is where I wanted to be. Not sure if the limitation is the CPU or the Mobo. The board will sometimes post at 1590, but only if I have the multipliere at, which sets the CPU to 3.6Ghz, which the CPU I think simply won't do.

If I drop the multiplier to 8, I can't get over 1500.

I am tempted to go back to the 0202 bios and see what I get out of the board then...