The Unofficial ASUS P5N-E SLI 650i Board Thread

Page 99 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Core2

Dec 28, 2006
Originally posted by: Ajay
Originally posted by: chrismr
£70 bleeding on cooling. Hopefully I will get some great clocks on my e4300 with tall this - while, keeping everything cool of course.

Have to say, I am loving the stability of the Asus p5n-e and the e4300 in comparison to my foxconn nf4 board and x2 3800.

Question, do I invalidate warranty by changing NB heat sink?

Yeah, as the summer approaches I'll definitely need to throw some more $$s into cooling, but things are ok now. Tough part may be finding a passive sink for the MCP - it can only be around 8-10mm high if I want to be able to add another 7600GT later on down the road.

As far as the warranty, I'd think that technically you may void it, but keep the old one around and put it back on if you need to do an RMA. I think that's what most folks do. It's probably a matter of conscience than anything else...

How about this one without the fan http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835103155. Put the fan on the NB

Edit Check the heatsink height with your video card before you install it and grind out a slot if need be

jkcheng122

Dec 31, 2006
hmm a coworker of mine has the same memory i have and is able to run 5-5-5-12(15?) at 1T, so i guess it's not the memory preventing me from running 1T but the motherboard.

Core2

Dec 28, 2006
Originally posted by: jkcheng122
hmm a coworker of mine has the same memory i have and is able to run 5-5-5-12(15?) at 1T, so i guess it's not the memory preventing me from running 1T but the motherboard.

Here try what I had mentioned to Genuine Imitation

What slots are you in. If I were you I'd try flip flopping them around. You should get to 1000MHz with those ram sticks. Maybe to much voltage too. Try 1.92 - 2.17 or even auto. Set the FSB to default and just up the memory. What's your Vchip voltage? Set it to auto. I have had good success with Auto Vcore, Vchip to about 475x8, if I'm in the right slots. It took me a while to find the right combination ( 4 total with 2 sticks of ram )

kingeasynow

Feb 7, 2007
Quick update - I've emailed my supplier (scan) to see if they can get me ram timings, voltages etc.

I'll update my situation if/when these arrive.

Cheers.

imported_KG

Feb 12, 2007
@ Core2

Hi John (and all)

I came across this thread late last night and spent many hours and became bleary eyed reading up to page 79 - I've skipped a few, apologies for that - hope I haven't missed anything important :eek:

Why have I joined this thread? I've ordered a bunch of gear which is arriving in dribs and drabs today - should all be here by tonight (see signature for list)

Although not new to computing, this is the first time I've decided to jump in at the deep end and "maximise" the potential of my gear by overclocking.

I have one question and one request:

Question - would the Noctua NC-U6 be overkill for the Southbridge?

Request of John - Keeping in mind that stability and data security are both paramount in my systems, can you throw some numbers at me for a good starting point?

Thanks in advance
KG

PS - the most educational thread I've ever followed

chrismr

Feb 8, 2007
You would probably be better off getting the thermalright hr-05 sli for the SB, or a low profile heatsink, otherwise you will not be able to use SLI. Even if you are not planning to use sli - the temptation might get the better of you, as it did me :)

Lucky you on getting the Noctua NC-U6. I couldn't find stock so had to go with the HR-05 for the NB.

Core2

Dec 28, 2006
Welcome Aboard KG

I think any more than a low profile heatsink for the SB is over kill. The stock NB heatsink works fine also. Just needs a fan. For your voltages only set the vdimm to spec the others I would start with Auto.

chrismr

Feb 8, 2007
I saw one of those on Ebay, but would find no reviews on the Blue Ice Pro (only the original), so thanks for the link. If I don't have any luck getting the tuniq and the hr-05 in together will flog the hr-05 and get one of the blue ice pro coolers.

imported_KG

Feb 12, 2007
Well everything has finally arrived. :D

Everything loaded and fitted onto the mobo and the mobo fitted into the case - but apart from the two power connectors I've connected nothing external to the mobo. Why you might ask??

Although I'm no new hand at this - I'm being cautious. THE QUICK INSTALLATION GUIDE IS IN EVERY LANGUAGE BUT ENGLISH. :disgust:

Before I plod on, are there any onboard jumpers/switches I need to change which will cause damage if I don't (for example - I've notice a jumper near to the 4-pin power connector).

I'm going to blast through the manual now and see if I can find any would-be trip ups.

All help appreciated. :)

Cheerz
KG

Core2

Dec 28, 2006
Originally posted by: KG
Well everything has finally arrived. :D

Everything loaded and fitted onto the mobo and the mobo fitted into the case - but apart from the two power connectors I've connected nothing external to the mobo. Why you might ask??

Although I'm no new hand at this - I'm being cautious. THE QUICK INSTALLATION GUIDE IS IN EVERY LANGUAGE BUT ENGLISH. :disgust:

Before I plod on, are there any onboard jumpers/switches I need to change which will cause damage if I don't (for example - I've notice a jumper near to the 4-pin power connector).

I'm going to blast through the manual now and see if I can find any would-be trip ups.

All help appreciated. :)

Cheerz
KG

If you read the manual you should be fine. No cautions. Don't forget to set your ram up manually when you first boot and check CPU temps in the hardware monitor. Follow the setup on page 92

imported_KG

Feb 12, 2007
Thanks ElAguila, Thanks John,

I'm printing page 92 now - leaving this system up and running as a lifeline to you guys (once I've removed the X-Fi Audio Card)

Wish me luck

Cheerz
KG

adder1971

Jan 8, 2007
Originally posted by: KG
Thanks ElAguila, Thanks John,

I'm printing page 92 now - leaving this system up and running as a lifeline to you guys (once I've removed the X-Fi Audio Card)

Wish me luck

Cheerz
KG

good luck!! you should be fine though

imported_KG

Feb 12, 2007
Went like a dream.

XP Pro loaded. Now going to configure all the peripherals (once I've eaten the Chinese the wife's just ordered!)

PS Temp 30C

Will keep you posted

Regardz
KG

chefcg1

Feb 10, 2007
Thanks for the link for the pensil mod. I do have a question on this if anyone who has done this can help. Is it as simple as taking a #2 pensil and just rubbing across that spot? just seems to simple.

Core2

Dec 28, 2006
Originally posted by: chefcg1
Thanks for the link for the pensil mod. I do have a question on this if anyone who has done this can help. Is it as simple as taking a #2 pensil and just rubbing across that spot? just seems to simple.

Here's some Info

*Take Note that all physical Modifications Void your warranty!*

The trick is to draw a few strokes along one side of the resistor so you "short" the solder contacts and decrease the overall resistance between the points. Be careful, every pencil stroke you apply increases the voltage If you have a have a Voltmeter, you should be able to measure the voltage increase between the two solder contacts at each particular resistor. You can pencil the resistor to increase CPU Core Voltage, or for better precision, you can solder a 50K ohms Variable Resistor to the spot marked and hook the other leg to any grounded spot. Set VR at Maximum Resistance and tune down resistance to increase voltage.

Jan 20, 2007
Well core2, my memory tweaking adventures are going to be postponed for a couple weeks. I'm getting married this weekend so I've left my pc in the blizzard that is the midwest and am now in sunny florida. So maybe if at some point I have free time after the honeymoon I'll come back and visit. I expect this board to be 150 pages by then. Good luck guys!

Core2

Dec 28, 2006
Originally posted by: Genuine Imitation
Well core2, my memory tweaking adventures are going to be postponed for a couple weeks. I'm getting married this weekend so I've left my pc in the blizzard that is the midwest and am now in sunny florida. So maybe if at some point I have free time after the honeymoon I'll come back and visit. I expect this board to be 150 pages by then. Good luck guys!

Congratulation! Have a great honeymoon. I wish I was in Florida. Spring training games start in 14 days 17 hrs.

sbinh

Oct 3, 2006
Originally posted by: Genuine Imitation

Congratulation, mate ... Enjoy your honey moon .....
Hopefully you'll have time to play with your PC after marriage .... :D :D ......

sbinh

Oct 3, 2006
OK ... I need to popup this question .. could be a very stupid question you've ever heard ..

When testing your system with Orthor, which method do you use (SMALL FFTs, LARGE -inplace FFTs, or BLEND) ????

It is so darn weird to my freaking system .. It ran Orthor fine (BLEND) about a month ago (20+hrs) .... last week, I started to play around with it ... raised up to 3.8GHz ... it failed Orthor (of course) ... now, set back to what I had .. shooot ... no longer stable ...

It passed Orthor (Small) for 23+hrs. Failed BLEND after 8+ hrs one day, and failed BLEND after 56 seconds next day .... Holly Crap! .... while passed LARGE around 2-3 hrs (on every test) ..

Anyone has same freaking issue? ... What might cause the problem?

I wish i could trade this board for P5B-Dlx ...:D :D

jniles

Dec 31, 2005
what is going on with the Freezer 7 ? $89.00 @ the EGG, OOS everywhere !!!!
I guess maybe I will go with the Zalman 9500, any comments ?

I have my E6300 @ 3150 ,54c orthos (1hr+) stock cooler

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Core2

How about this one without the fan http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835103155. Put the fan on the NB

Edit Check the heatsink height with your video card before you install it and grind out a slot if need be

Thanks! I think I can dig up some old aluminum heatsinks and cut them to size. Grinding out a slot is a great idea, so long as there are no caps in the way. Now getting a small piece of adhesive TIM, that's a bit harder - I hope we use some at work.

Core2

Dec 28, 2006
Originally posted by: jniles
what is going on with the Freezer 7 ? $89.00 @ the EGG, OOS everywhere !!!!
I guess maybe I will go with the Zalman 9500, any comments ?

I have my E6300 @ 3325 ,54c orthos (1hr+) stock cooler

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?...ZER-7-PRO&manufacture=Arctic%20Cooling

http://www.us.ncix.com/products/index.p...ZER-7-PRO&manufacture=Arctic%20Cooling

I guess I spoke to highly about it. It is one of the best air coolers. Glad I bought some extras. Their all low on stock. Check around you might find some

http://www.directron.com/acfz7pro.html

http://www.pcextreme.com/catalog/sku/cpu-arc-16.html

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1410/..._4_LGA_775_Pentium_D.html?tl=g40c14s52