The United States last year posted a $891.2 billion merchandise trade deficit, the largest in the nation’s 243-year history

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Wow, what a coincidence that most every policy decision Trump makes in the international arena is to the benefit of his sponsors back at the Kremlin.

cfenton

Jul 27, 2015
The best part about all of this is that trade deficits aren't necessarily a bad thing, but Trump has spent the last three years hammering the message that they are very important and terrible.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
People are saying, many are talking about it. Should I buy gold now?

Seriously though, who is saying this?

Majority of economists think the U.S. will enter a recession by 2021, survey finds

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busi...ssion-by-survey-finds/?utm_term=.3140ef7ef3de
Just in time for Trump to lose in 2020 and Repubs will blame it on the Dems and their base will fall for it hook, line, and sinker. Once again a Democratic President will have to cleanup their mess.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Majority of economists think the U.S. will enter a recession by 2021, survey finds

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busi...ssion-by-survey-finds/?utm_term=.3140ef7ef3de
Just in time for Trump to lose in 2020 and Repubs will blame it on the Dems and their base will fall for it hook, line, and sinker. Once again a Democratic President will have to cleanup their mess.

I get that and knew it. I was responding @Mai72’s post though was claiming that “economists” are saying the next downturn will be even worse than the Great Recession. Predicting a recession is one thing, proclaiming it to be probably the 2nd worst economic crisis in a century is something else entirely.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
I get that and knew it. I was responding @Mai72’s post though was claiming that “economists” are saying the next downturn will be even worse than the Great Recession. Predicting a recession is one thing, proclaiming it to be probably the 2nd worst economic crisis in a century is something else entirely.
If Trump gets re-elected it could be...

DarthKyrie

Golden Member
Jul 11, 2016
I think it’s time for another white hot load of trickle-down...who’s with me?

I say bring the pain, the country deserves it. Just as long as the South and the rest of the Trump states feel it the worst I'll be pleased. The people of this country need to relearn a lesson that was learned during the Great Depression

Ahahahaha, tell that to Trump who campaigned on waging a WAR on the trade deficit. And how cutting the trade deficit meant the wall will pay for itself.

That wasn't what Trump said. Even if he said that you probably took it out of context. Those were his exact words? Then you just didn't understand what he meant, he was talking to the silent majority.

Edit: I forgot to add MAGA Turnip2020

Last edited:

PJFrylar

Apr 17, 2016
I hear you, and I hope that is what we eventually take away from all of this. My hopes are not high though. An example from the 2 people I have an iota of respect for from FoxNews:

So what has changed since then? I don't know about anyone else, but my experience with conservatives I know is that they still think the Mueller investigation is a liberal conspiracy to usurp power from Trump. I'm beginning to doubt their ability to wake up and question how they got there. Quite frankly, I have no idea what to do about that. I've said it before on this forum and in real life; it is fine to disagree about things but please don't be disingenuous about it. How can we have real discussion about positions A and B on a topic, when you just want to paint us as having position C and spend all your time beating the crap out of C?

I should make a quick correction. When I talked about conservative views on the Mueller investigation, I should have said Trump supporters. There are people, such as my parents, who have been conservatives all their lives. When they saw Trump, they did exactly that, wonder what just happened. In a few of my other posts, I think it is pretty clear there isn't a person on this planet I respect more than my dad. I'm even closer with my mom than my dad, you know... dudes and emotions. I was blessed to have great parents. They are Christian; I'm atheist. They are conservative; I'm liberal. They are heterosexual; I am just kidding - I am also heterosexual. That stuff doesn't actually matter much, but Trump, in the estimation of the majority of Americans, was a line that should never have been crossed.

Last edited:

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Saw a great piece on how the reason the trade deficit was so high is because, thanks to Trump's policies, more people are working than have before in our lifetimes and wages have risen so much that people have lots of extra play money, so they're spending more on toys. And a lot of stuff is still made in China. Our economy is just that strong. Trump wins again.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Saw a great piece on how the reason the trade deficit was so high is because, thanks to Trump's policies, more people are working than have before in our lifetimes and wages have risen so much that people have lots of extra play money, so they're spending more on toys. And a lot of stuff is still made in China. Our economy is just that strong. Trump wins again.

Gawd. Only a Trump shill could claim that the trade deficit going the opposite direction of what Trump promised is Trump winning.

It's straight out of 1984.

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002

Quoted for LOLZ - slow spider thinks Trump pisses champagne and poops croissants that everyone can live off of!

Reactions: jman19

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008

Whaaaaaaaat?

SNAP : I think I got it .... Slow? Are you actually a sketch writer for SNL? Goddamnit man .. I LOVE your work!!!!

Reactions: Meghan54

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Trade deficit goes down? ‘Shows how great a job Trump is doing!’

Trade deficit goes up? ‘Shows how great a job Trump is doing!’

Lol.

Reactions: DarthKyrie