The UN?s Jihad Against Free Speech

Socio

Golden Member
May 19, 2002
The UN?s Jihad Against Free Speech

In a crushing blow to the freedom of speech worldwide, the United Nations Human Rights Council last Thursday approved a resolution calling upon member states to provide legal ?protection against acts of hatred, discrimination, intimidation and coercion resulting from defamation of religions and incitement to religious hatred in general.?

While the resolution speaks of religion in general, the proposal came from Pakistan and had the backing of the powerful 57-government Organization of the Islamic Conference (OIC), the UN?s largest voting bloc ? so it was clear that Islam was the only religion the drafters of the resolution had in mind. This is underscored by the fact that Muslim states have worked energetically to make ?Islamophobia? the focus of Durban II -- the UN?s upcoming second World Conference on Racism, Racial Discrimination, Xenophobia and Related Intolerance. A draft declaration declares that ?defamation of Islam? should be a criminal offense, even when it takes place under the ?pretext? of ?freedom of expression, counter terrorism or national security.?

In other words, if the OIC and the drafters of the Durban declaration get their way, any honest examination of how jihadists use Islamic texts and teachings to make recruits will be illegal. So not only does this herald the death of free speech, but it also leaves us mute and defenseless before the advancing global jihad.

What needs to happen and happen quickly is the complete dismantling of the UN, it is a useless organization anyway and a new one put in its place much like the UN replaced the League of Nations.

The first new rule for this new incarnation would be a type of separation of church and state rule in which members have to leave their religion at the door.

The way the UN is now they are using religion, Islam in particular, as a weapon to threaten and oppress anyone that opposes it. When the world needs to be telling these sanctimonious jackasses relegion has no place in world politics and to shove it up their freaking butts!

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Paranoia strikes deep. Into your life it will creep. It start when you're always afraid. CSN&Y singing for Socio.

Socio

Golden Member
May 19, 2002
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
Originally posted by: Socio
Originally posted by: Evan
You're not good at posting.

You're are good at trolling.
And you are good at paranoid hysteria

And you are bad at moderating, instead of bashing the obvious thread derailing troll for breaking the rules you join him, shame on you!

This is not within the rules. Three days off for the mod callout of Red.

esquared
Anandtech Senior Moderator

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I wholeheartedly agree religion has no place in government. I also agree government has no place in condoning 'acts of hatred, discrimination, intimidation and coercion resulting from defamation of religions and incitement to religious hatred in general'.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

And you are bad at moderating, instead of bashing the obvious thread derailing troll for breaking the rules you join him, shame on you!

Bad move.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
For one.. if that OP is true, I think it's alarming. If it ever becomes illegal for me to speak out against jihad or Islam, then I'll freak out. =)

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: TechBoyJK
For one.. if that OP is true, I think it's alarming. If it ever becomes illegal for me to speak out against jihad or Islam, then I'll freak out. =)

The source if frontpage - a nutso site. Use some common sense. You want to say you are worried your 'right to free speech' is about to be lost? You want to look that bad?

Aug 23, 2000
Originally posted by: Craig234

The source if frontpage - a nutso site. Use some common sense. You want to say you are worried your 'right to free speech' is about to be lost? You want to look that bad?

more credible link

Though I know most of you think Fox news isn't credible because they don't spoon feed you what you want to hear.

Get over yourselves and your belief that there are people in this world that want nothing more than to control every aspect of your life.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: JeffreyLebowski
Originally posted by: Craig234

more credible link

Though I know most of you think Fox news isn't credible because they don't spoon feed you what you want to hear.

Get over yourselves and your belief that there are people in this world that want nothing more than to control every aspect of your life.
They can want till the cows come home, it ain't going to happen.

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
Originally posted by: Robor

Bad move.

Socio needs a vacation.

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005

From the UN itself

10/30 Elaboration of complementary standards to the International Convention
on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination
The Human Rights Council,
Recalling its decision 3/103 of 8 December 2006 by which, heeding the decision and instruction of the 2001 World Conference against Racism, Racial Discrimination, Xenophobia and Related Intolerance, it decided to establish the Ad Hoc Committee of the Human Rights Council on the Elaboration of Complementary Standards, with a mandate to elaborate, as a matter of priority and necessity, complementary standards in the form of either a convention or additional protocol(s) to the International Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination, filling the existing gaps in the Convention and also providing new normative standards aimed at combating all forms of contemporary racism, including incitement to racial and religious hatred,
Recalling also its resolution 3/2 of 8 December 2006, in which it reaffirmed that there would be no renegotiation of the Durban Declaration and Programme of Action,
Welcoming the progress achieved during the meetings held during the first and second parts of the first session of the Ad Hoc Committee of the Human Rights Council on the Elaboration of Complementary Standards, and expressing the common desire of the international human rights system and the need to enhance the momentum of this process with a view to ensuring the timely fulfilment of the mandate of the Ad Hoc Committee,
Recalling the need to provide adequate protection for victims of racism, racial discrimination, xenophobia and related intolerance, as well as appropriate remedies while combating all forms of impunity in this regard,
1. Endorses the road map adopted by the Ad Hoc Committee of the Human Rights Council on the Elaboration of Complementary Standards during the second part of its first session as a guiding framework document for all future work in this regard;
2. Requests the Chairperson-Rapporteur to ensure that the outcome referred to in the road map is circulated in a timely manner to all stakeholders, in order that complementary standards to strengthen and update international instruments against racism, racial discrimination, xenophobia and related intolerance in all their aspects may be elaborated from the second session onwards;
3. Decides that all future sessions of the Ad Hoc Committee shall be convened in a consolidated period of 10 consecutive working days;
4. Also decides that the second session of the Ad Hoc Committee will be held in October 2009;
5. Further decides to retain this priority issue on its programme of work and to review progress at its thirteenth session.
45th meeting
27 March 2009

[Adopted by a recorded vote of 34 to 13, with no abstentions. See chapter IX. The voting was as follows:

In Favour: Angola, Argentina, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Bolivia, Brazil, Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Chile, China, Cuba, Djibouti, Egypt, Gabon, Ghana, India, Indonesia, Jordan, Madagascar, Malaysia, Mauritius, Mexico, Nicaragua, Nigeria, Pakistan, Philippines, Qatar, Russian Federation, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, South Africa, Uruguay, Zambia;

Against: Bosnia and Herzegovina, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Netherlands, Republic of Korea, Slovakia, Slovenia, Switzerland, Ukraine, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.]

Look at some of the countries against the resolution like Canada, Netherlands, not exactly bastions of intolerance.

CitizenKain

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2000
Originally posted by: JeffreyLebowski

Hello irony.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004

Or the thought process that leads up to posting. He is good at hiding under his bed with his keyboard though.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Certain issues wouldn't make it past the Security Council, such as a full out declaration of Freedom of Speech. Wthin that limitation, Resolutions, if they are to be successful, need to call for what is possible. Any step towards Freedom is good, even if it is limited.

firewall

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2001
Stop being paranoid, Socio. I don't see you protesting the taboo of questioning holocaust facts in Germany, Austria and numerous other European countries which is legally punishable. Where is free speech then? :frown:

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: feralkid
Originally posted by: Robor

Bad move.

Socio needs a vacation.

What I find pathetic but not unexpected is the likes of Socio and others like him at times they really want to be taken serously, but due to their posting history and such that just will never happen.
If Socio was being truthful........he has a reputation for being a paranoia monger......

lol

poohbear

Platinum Member
Mar 11, 2003
is socio short for socio path? i dont know any of the posters by name or their agendas, but i was totally in agreement w/ the OP (hate suppression of freedom of speech) until the last sentence of his quote:

but it also leaves us mute and defenseless before the advancing global jihad.

rofl WTF?!?!? what advancing global jihad?!?! lol u mean like the apocolypse?!!? dude you really know how to turn off an audience w/ paranoia & xenophobia.