The ULTIMATE Linux FAQ

MournSanity

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2002
The ULTIMATE Linux FAQ

As the popularity of Linux on the desktop grows, logically the influx of new users emerge. It has become increasingly apparent on this board; many of the same questions are being asked over and over again by new Linux users. So, in order to help alleviate the clutter, I have decided to compile some of the questions that are asked the most, and answer them here for you. If any experienced Linux users would also like to contribute to this FAQ (or correct a mistake I might have made), please send the Q&A's to me in a private message and I will add them to this document. Without further ado, the FAQ...

What is Linux?

From Wikipedia:

The term Linux refers to the Linux kernel, but is commonly used to describe entire Unix-like operating systems (also known as GNU/Linux) that are based on the Linux kernel, the libraries and the tools from the GNU project. Linux distributions often bundle large quantities of software with the core system known as "packages".

In other words, Linux is the kernel of the GNU/Linux operating system.

Kernel? GNU? Wuh? You lost me there, bro...

I won't go to into detail about the specifics. This is just a basic FAQ. Check out Wikipedia if you want to learn more about Kernels
and GNU.

How much does Linux cost?

Most Linux distributions are available as a free download from sites like LinuxISO and peer to peer networks such as Bittorrent. You can, however, opt for a boxed version of a distribution by buying one from your local software retailer or online. These retail distributions include manuals and technical support from the company that makes them.

Woah, wait, slow down. Distribution?

Linux comes in a phantasmagoria of different flavors. There isn't just "one" version of Linux. Since it is an Open Source operating system, anybody is free to download and modify the source code to make their own customised version, hence a distribution. If you put the effort to learn how, you too can create your own distribution! For all of the latest news regarding various distributions, visit DistroWatch.

Can I use my Windows software on Linux?

The Linux operating system itself is inherently incompatible with Windows applications, but there are a few workarounds that might let you be able to use a couple of Windows programs on Linux. One is the WINE project, which allows you to run Windows programs that are compatible with WINE on a Linux system.

Do I need to upgrade my computer to the fastest thing available just to run Linux?

Absolutely not! Almost all Linux distributions work well with older hardware. The performance often has to do with which Desktop Environment or Window Manager you choose to run, but I'll get to that later.

Another thing you should know is that Linux might not always work well with bleeding edge technology due to lack of drivers. Linux drivers are often written by programmers who contribute to open source and not the actual companies that make the devices, therefore it is harder to keep up with the latest hardware. You can do a Google search to check if your piece of hardware has supported drivers.

Ok, I've read about Linux and I know what GNU and Open Source Software is. Which distribution should is the best for a Linux noob like me?

It all depends on preference. Some people will recommend SuSE and Mandrake for newbies, while others will tell you that Fedora or Slackware are the be-all end-all of Linux distributions. It really is a matter of taste. I myself have tried Red Hat, Mandrake, and SuSE before settling on Ubuntu Linux, so that is what I personally recommend, although you might now feel the same way about it as I do. The simple answer is to try a whole bunch of different distributions and then pick the one you like the most. DistroWatch has a whole listing of them.

Another thing you should know about are LiveCDs. A LiveCD is a disc with an entire Linux distribution on it, that runs off the CD-Rom drive. You don't need to install the operating system on your hard drive to use it! Most Linux distributions have LiveCDs, some of the more popular being Knoppix, Ubuntu, Damn Small Linux, and Slax.

I've finally chosen a Linux distribution and have downloaded the ISO and burned it to a CD-R. Before I install it, I want to know if doing so will delete my Windows operating system. Does installing Linux mean I have to wipe out Windows from my hard drive?

Not necessarily, although you may choose to. There is a method you can do called partitioning which will basically split up your hard drive and allow you to run both a Linux distribution and your Windows (or other) operating system from the same hard drive! This can be tricky though; some distributions of Linux have a nice graphical installer that will easily allow you to partition your drive. Others are not as easy and you must know how to manually partition a hard drive correctly for Linux. Google is indispensable for this. Head on to Google, search partitioning, and read up.

I did it! I installed Linux correctly and everything seems to have been configured correctly! But I'm confused; when I boot up, I get a choice of running something called KDE or GNOME. What are these?

Linux is not like Windows or Mac OS X which only have one window manager. Being open source, many people have contributed to the creation of many Desktop Environments and Window Managers that make up the "GUI" for Linux such as KDE, GNOME, XFCE, IceWM, Blackbox and others. KDE and GNOME tend to be more bloated than the others and are recommended for fairly powerful computers (1 Ghz +) if you want them to work quickly. For older systems, XFCE and others have a smaller footprint and can run quicker. Try all of them out to see which one is right for you.

GNOME and KDE are cool and all, but I kinda miss how Windows XP feels.

Check out XPde, it might be what you are looking for. Keep in mind that XPde is very early and many things are broken/don't work.

All right! KDE and GNOME are awesome, but they look kind of bland. Where can I get new themes and icons to spice them up?

GNOME-Look and KDE-Look are just a few popular ones. As always, Google is a great resource for finding out about things like this.

Hey, this Terminal thing is pretty cool! Problem is, I don't know any commands. Can you hook me up?

A simple Google search nets the following results

Can I use my Windows boot manager to boot Linux?

Sure, there is a way to do this. First site on a Google search gave me this

ACK! How the heck do you install programs for Linux?!

Depending on the distribution you use, there are numerous ways to install Linux programs. For example, if you use a Debian-based distro such as Ubuntu Linux, you use the very simple APT method of installing programs. Red Hat and SuSE use RPMs to install there programs.

***I am not very knowledgeable of such things. Hopefully someone can contribute to this section with more information about installing Linux programs***

I installed Linux but there is no GUI. All I see is a command line. What the heck?

Use the command "startx" to turn on the X server.

I've learned a lot about Linux and how productive it can be, but I'm a little bored. Are there any good games that run on Linux?

Here is a thread on UbuntuForums that has a big list of fun native Linux games.

Can my Windows NTFS partition be read by Linux?

Sure, there is reading support of NTFS for Linux. I think writing on NTFS from Linux is experimental though, and probably dangerous.

I have a distro-specific question.

Most Linux distributions have communities and forums of people that are willing to help you out. If that fails, you can check out general sites like JustLinux, Linux Questions, and search Google Linux for more help.

NOTE: This FAQ is a work in progress. If you have something to contribute to it, or have found a mistake you would like to correct, please PM me the information you need. A list of contributors is below.

List of Contributors

hypersonic5
cmv

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This FAQ was written on AbiWord, a free word processor similar to Microsoft Word. Support Open Source software by using AbiWord.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001
What is Linux?

From Wikipedia:

The term Linux refers to the Linux kernel, but is commonly used to describe entire Unix-like operating systems (also known as GNU/Linux) that are based on the Linux kernel, the libraries and the tools from the GNU project. Linux distributions often bundle large quantities of software with the core system known as "packages".

In other words, Linux is the kernel of the GNU/Linux operating system.

You mean GNU/XFree86/MIT/Xorg/BSD/KDE/sendmail/exim/postfix/bind/mozilla/Linux.

EDIT: Screwed up the formatting. :confused:

MournSanity

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2002
Originally posted by: n0cmonkey
What is Linux?

From Wikipedia:

In other words, Linux is the kernel of the GNU/Linux operating system. [/quote]

You mean GNU/XFree86/MIT/Xorg/BSD/KDE/sendmail/exim/postfix/bind/mozilla/Linux.[/quote]

:p

cmv

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
It's "startx" -- case sensitivity is important.

Also, the subtitle shouldn't have a "," as it's "all your linux questions answered". Just my fiddy cents.

phatrabt

Jan 28, 2004
I'm still learning Linux (currently running FC3) and would like to add:

the man command:

VERY USEFUL!! In the command prompt or terminal window you can use

man <command>

to help. I've used it and while some of the commands and their syntax are like reading Russian VCR instructions, there are some gems in there.

Also, I know that FC3 and some other distros (Gentoo I think) use yum to install\update\remove software. A good page for reference for Linux is

FedoraFAQ

HTH!!!

phatrabt