The Truth About The Money!

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Main thing I disagree with is when she says, paraphrased, "They don't think the average person is smart enough to deal with this" and she disagrees. Well, I disagree with her.

DasFox

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2003
Originally posted by: Skoorb
Main thing I disagree with is when she says, paraphrased, "They don't think the average person is smart enough to deal with this" and she disagrees. Well, I disagree with her.

She doesn't disagree about anything, I think you didn't hear actually what she was saying. You should listen to it again.

This is what she said:

We can take back control of our own government from these private bankers. They don't think that we the lowly workers and taxpayers are intelligent enough to understand their tactics, I believe they're mistaken.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Kind of ironic that Greenspan, who once bashed the Fed and supported gold, became head of the Fed and helped cause the worst financial crisis since the Depression.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
rofl. You'd really have to be utterly brain dead to think the Federal Reserve is private. The first 2 minutes are chalk full of abject falsehoods.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
Originally posted by: Evan
rofl. You'd really have to be utterly brain dead to think the Federal Reserve is private. The first 2 minutes are chalk full of abject falsehoods.

Heh, agreed. Another loony out from under a rock. I really wish they'd teach kids how to do proper research in school these days.

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Originally posted by: bamacre
Kind of ironic that Greenspan, who once bashed the Fed and supported gold, became head of the Fed and helped cause the worst financial crisis since the Depression.

Yeah?

So, how did he do that? How many times did he warn about the housing / lending spinning way out of control? Was he suppose to dress up in a Kentucky fried chicken suite and ring your door and explain to you that we were headed for trouble?

Hmmmmmm.... I normally don't stick up for a lot of people. But to me it seemed like the guy did pretty much what he could to try to stop it. Yeah, I was watching the news at the time I guess. No one listened to him, tho. Apparently you must of been one of the people that didn't hear him.

But back to the topic. OF course they are both parties are corrupt, tell us something we don't already know....

OokiiNeko

Jun 14, 2003
You'd really have to be utterly brain dead to think the Federal Reserve is private.

Really? So when Congress asks the Fed ,"How many US dollars are in circulation right now?" the Fed has to answer that question to the best of its ability, right?

:)

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
Originally posted by: OokiiNeko
You'd really have to be utterly brain dead to think the Federal Reserve is private.

Really? So when Congress asks the Fed ,"How many US dollars are in circulation right now?" the Fed has to answer that question to the best of its ability, right?

:)

They can and have.

When Congress can revoke the entire entity of the Fed I guess that means they are "private" and not inside the control of the government, right?

brencat

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2007
Originally posted by: ericlp
So, how did he do that? How many times did he warn about the housing / lending spinning way out of control? Was he suppose to dress up in a Kentucky fried chicken suite and ring your door and explain to you that we were headed for trouble?

Hmmmmmm.... I normally don't stick up for a lot of people. But to me it seemed like the guy did pretty much what he could to try to stop it. Yeah, I was watching the news at the time I guess. No one listened to him, tho. Apparently you must of been one of the people that didn't hear him.
Originally, Greenspan did warn of excess with his irrational exuberance speech -- 3 years before the tech bubble popped. That was good. What he did in the years that followed -- "if you can't beat 'em join em" -- was where he fvcked up. Also, he greatly erred in keeping rates too low for too long in the 2003-04 time period. A sharp hike in rates would have greatly curtailed the extreme borrowing and leverage both on a corporate and personal level such that we would not have had nearly the housing bubble we had, and the extent of the excess that came with it (although there still would have been some).

Greenspan, more than any other, is the one man most personally responsible for the crisis we have today, IMO. Bernanke should have hiked rates the moment he came in but didn't and he fvcked up too. But the real damage was done in the 2-3 yrs before he took the helm in 2006.

DasFox

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2003
Originally posted by: LegendKiller

Heh, agreed. Another loony out from under a rock. I really wish they'd teach kids how to do proper research in school these days.

Actually it's not that difficult since the Federal Reserve Act has been around since 1913.

I've done quite a bit of research over the years, and there is a lot of evidence to this, especially when FDR himself even speaks out about this, a President of the USA.

The people who think this is some loony wack job, I have a question for you, how many years of research have you been investing into this?

PEACE

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
Originally posted by: DasFox

Actually it's not that difficult since the Federal Reserve Act has been around since 1913.

I've done quite a bit of research over the years, and there is a lot of evidence to this, especially when FDR himself even speaks out about this, a President of the USA.

The people who think this is some loony wack job, I have a question for you, how many years of research have you been investing into this?

PEACE

6 years of finance education (MBA and CFA charter), 6 years of finance experience while working in securitization, both for issuers and as an investment banker.

You?

SleepWalkerX

Platinum Member
Jun 29, 2004
The MoneyMasters people attack the issue with a conspiracy slant, but they are right when they say the Federal Reserve is the catalyst behind our current economic boom/bust.

Delita

Jan 12, 2006

PEACE

6 years of finance education (MBA and CFA charter), 6 years of finance experience while working in securitization, both for issuers and as an investment banker.

You?

Dude he watches a ton of youtube. That trumps anything you can come up with.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
Originally posted by: SleepWalkerX
The MoneyMasters people attack the issue with a conspiracy slant, but they are right when they say the Federal Reserve is the catalyst behind our current economic boom/bust.

Yeah, forget every other "Catalyst". You're like a broken record.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
Originally posted by: Delita

PEACE

You?

Geee, thanks. Glad that's an accepted form of education/experience in the real world.

Next job I apply for I am going to just wipe out all of my education/experience and put...

"YOUTUBE ECONOMICS VIDEOS BITCH!"

SleepWalkerX

Platinum Member
Jun 29, 2004

PEACE

You?

Yes, we can all see how invested you are in the status quo and how much you benefit from its existence.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001

Yes, we can all see how invested you are in the status quo and how much you benefit from its existence.

We all benefit from its existence. But I guess that's too difficult for you to get.

BTW, how's that "worthless dollar" going? Up more than 20% now. Oil is way down, unlike what you said, gold is also (although up the past few days). What are you going to do when it keeps getting stronger and your tired old bullshit prognostications and flip-flopping are over?

Aren't you studying English or some other non-economics bullshit in your undergrad no-real-world life?

Go back to your books sonny, leave the real world to us grown up folks who actually live in it.

XZeroII

Lifer
Jun 30, 2001

http://www.federalreserve.gov/...ralinfo/faq/faqfrs.htm
Who owns the Federal Reserve?
The Federal Reserve System is not "owned" by anyone and is not a private, profit-making institution. Instead, it is an independent entity within the government, having both public purposes and private aspects.

As the nation's central bank, the Federal Reserve derives its authority from the U.S. Congress. It is considered an independent central bank because its decisions do not have to be ratified by the President or anyone else in the executive or legislative branch of government, it does not receive funding appropriated by Congress, and the terms of the members of the Board of Governors span multiple presidential and congressional terms. However, the Federal Reserve is subject to oversight by Congress, which periodically reviews its activities and can alter its responsibilities by statute. Also, the Federal Reserve must work within the framework of the overall objectives of economic and financial policy established by the government. Therefore, the Federal Reserve can be more accurately described as "independent within the government."

Some would consider this to be "private" even though they say it's not. It's quite ignorant of you to dismiss someone because of one interpretation that they have. I'm not saying that this person is right (I didn't even listen to it), but your response is not very intelligent.

SleepWalkerX

Platinum Member
Jun 29, 2004

The Federal Reserve is the institution that forcefully exerts its monopolistic money, mismanages it, and works to exclude any competition. Every other organization is a voluntary organization that exists from within the system and works around it.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
Originally posted by: XZeroII

http://www.federalreserve.gov/...ralinfo/faq/faqfrs.htm
Who owns the Federal Reserve?
The Federal Reserve System is not "owned" by anyone and is not a private, profit-making institution. Instead, it is an independent entity within the government, having both public purposes and private aspects.

As the nation's central bank, the Federal Reserve derives its authority from the U.S. Congress. It is considered an independent central bank because its decisions do not have to be ratified by the President or anyone else in the executive or legislative branch of government, it does not receive funding appropriated by Congress, and the terms of the members of the Board of Governors span multiple presidential and congressional terms. However, the Federal Reserve is subject to oversight by Congress, which periodically reviews its activities and can alter its responsibilities by statute. Also, the Federal Reserve must work within the framework of the overall objectives of economic and financial policy established by the government. Therefore, the Federal Reserve can be more accurately described as "independent within the government."

Some would consider this to be "private" even though they say it's not. It's quite ignorant of you to dismiss someone because of one interpretation that they have. I'm not saying that this person is right (I didn't even listen to it), but your response is not very intelligent.

If it were up for intelligent debate he'd have received an intelligent response. However, from my extensive experience of seeing people like him on here, and even himself post this tripe, I can pick out these rubes from a mile away.

There is no "private" aspect to the Fed. If Congress wanted to kill it tonight, it could. They do not have that power over a "private" company except in extreme circumstances.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001

The Federal Reserve is the institution that forcefully exerts its monopolistic money, mismanages it, and works to exclude any competition. Every other organization is a voluntary organization that exists from within the system and works around it.

You're assuming the "competition" would help the system at all.

There's a reason why "competition" doesn't exist anywhere else in the world in a major economy.

Friction?

DasFox

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2003

PEACE

You?

I work in IT and I happen to be a very educated man too that comes from a very good background and family...

Originally posted by: Delita

PEACE

You?

I wasn't on YouTube when I saw some information regarding the Federal Reserve, the article had the video on their site which happened to be from You Tube.

No need for being a smarty and being rude...

SleepWalkerX

Platinum Member
Jun 29, 2004

You're assuming the "competition" would help the system at all.

There's a reason why "competition" doesn't exist anywhere else in the world in a major economy.

Friction?

Competition always exists. It exists right now. Prices are about relativity. Eggs/$, oz/$, bbl/$, oz/bbl, individual stocks/$.. All that needs to be done is just remove the barriers that the State places on other goods over the $ such as granting it the privilege of being recognized as money for all debts, private or public, the capital gains tax for other goods, and not raiding individuals that try to run their own currencies.

If the money supply is prone to failure by our government then there's no reason why we can't just let the market regulate our money supply. Competition between different forms of money, which are just goods like anything else, will bring out the most efficient one (or at least, the market will choose the most desirable).

SleepWalkerX

Platinum Member
Jun 29, 2004

We all benefit from its existence. But I guess that's too difficult for you to get.

If I say yes, will you abolish the state's intervention in our money supply?

BTW, how's that "worthless dollar" going? Up more than 20% now. Oil is way down, unlike what you said, gold is also (although up the past few days). What are you going to do when it keeps getting stronger and your tired old bullshit prognostications and flip-flopping are over?

It will get stronger for the time being, because its disappearing. But that doesn't change that fact that its already caused lots of damage. What good is a strong dollar when unemployment is soaring and only those with a job will be able to use it? The times are already reflecting that people have less money to spend. That trend will continue to grow, whether it be by a falling dollar or rising unemployment.

Aren't you studying English or some other non-economics bullshit in your undergrad no-real-world life?

Interesting, an appeal to character to advance your rhetoric. Well, since you seem to interested in my personal life..

I'm majoring in Computer Science and planning on majoring or minoring in Business (although I'm mainly just interested in the field of Economics, not all the rest of the accounting bullshit they teach you).