The Trade War Just Started.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Kind of amazing how the AG sector seems to comprehend the existential risk to their business but many people are willing to let Trump literally ruin them because they have such confidence in his negotiating ability.

Those people should read more. Trump is actually a really terrible negotiator.

Jan 25, 2011
Creates a huge opening for China to negotiate deals with the rest of the world. The U.S. would need it's allies to stand with it. Kind of hard to convince them to do that when he is alienating every single one of them.

As an aside, I've been surprised to see just how many people on my social media have been banding together to find ways to avoid American products here in Canada. Teaming together to find alternatives to what they typically will purchase. One or two people would be normal. There are entire massive groups dedicated to this.

So bring on China!

Reactions: Younigue

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Kind of amazing how the AG sector seems to comprehend the existential risk to their business but many people are willing to let Trump literally ruin them because they have such confidence in his negotiating ability.

Those people should read more. Trump is actually a really terrible negotiator.

If they don’t want to read more they could also just look at the outcome of almost every negotiation he’s tried since he entered office. There’s almost no situation where he hasn’t gotten rolled.

It seems like years of scamming tiny contractors who can’t fight back made him think that was negotiating skill. It must have been a rude awakening when he ran into actual negotiators.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
If they don’t want to read more they could also just look at the outcome of almost every negotiation he’s tried since he entered office. There’s almost no situation where he hasn’t gotten rolled.

It seems like years of scamming tiny contractors who can’t fight back made him think that was negotiating skill. It must have been a rude awakening when he ran into actual negotiators.

Such is the problem with the cult of personality/identity that he's built up around him. It makes people almost impervious to the facts. I think that a large chunk of the country would have to resemble something out of Cormac McCarthy's The Road before some of these people would be inclined to reconsider.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
*shrug* we're a low dairy intake family. Ice cream is most of the milk we ingest. Sorry dairy farmers, maybe not vote for a giant moronic american stereotype next time.

Reactions: Younigue

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
*shrug* we're a low dairy intake family. Ice cream is most of the milk we ingest. Sorry dairy farmers, maybe not vote for a giant moronic american stereotype next time.

Look at poster's name.

YOU LIE!

American Diary: fuck our domestic market is srhinking, what do we do. Oh I know let's try gunship diplomacy again and force our allies to buy more of our dairy. Absolutely no need to reduce production. Call the puppet.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Well, good job numbers came out from last month (higher job growth than predicted, small uptick in unemployment due to graduation.)

Fun fact: my current job is in those numbers!

Here's hoping that wasn't the final good month of employment growth.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Well, good job numbers came out from last month (higher job growth than predicted, small uptick in unemployment due to graduation.)

Congratulations!

Jan 25, 2011

Here's the thing as I see it. Congrats on the job by the way. I don't hope there is any downturn in job growth. I fear there will be. I don't wish anyone to suffer as a result of what he is doing but it seems inevitable. In many areas it's already started.

Denly

Golden Member
May 14, 2011
Creates a huge opening for China to negotiate deals with the rest of the world. The U.S. would need it's allies to stand with it. Kind of hard to convince them to do that when he is alienating every single one of them.

As an aside, I've been surprised to see just how many people on my social media have been banding together to find ways to avoid American products here in Canada. Teaming together to find alternatives to what they typically will purchase. One or two people would be normal. There are entire massive groups dedicated to this.

So bring on China!

You're correct, I have seen people avoid things from tiles to fruits to vacation to box stores. Nothing against you American friends, after that guy is gone we're back to normal.

alien42

Lifer
Nov 28, 2004
and the trade wars escalate, just as all the experts have said they would...

"Trump Administration Readies Tariffs On $200 Billion Of Chinese Imports"

https://www.npr.org/2018/07/10/6278...ies-tariffs-on-200-billion-of-chinese-imports

it sucks that trump is going to have to seriously damage not only the US economy, but also the global economy before his deplorables get a grip on reality (if we're lucky).

i'm thinking about shorting WMT, there is no way these tariffs on Chinese products won't affect them directly.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
out of about 50 threads (! seriously why so many threads) on the trade war i guess this fits here better than many

Since Trump took office, there are hundreds of threads that involve actual...proof in hand corruption, criminal behavior, serious ethical issues and plain stupidity.
How did you decide on this one?
(um...doing a survey. Customer service or something)

• Haha
Reactions: Amused

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Since Trump took office, there are hundreds of threads that involve actual...proof in hand corruption, criminal behavior, serious ethical issues and plain stupidity.
How did you decide on this one?
(um...doing a survey. Customer service or something)
secret mod random number generator.