The threat of Atheism looms large!

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

Theocracy at work. Also note the old line, "Freedom of Religion, not Freedom from Religion". As Armin points out, Opinions can not be Unconstiutional in a Free Society.

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
At least in the USA atheism is considered a religion for first amendment purposes along with all the rights it entails.
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/11/03/atheist-religion-oregon-court_n_6095776.html
In siding with the plaintiffs, Haggerty cited a 1961 U.S. Supreme Court ruling in Torcaso v. Watkins, which referred to “Secular Humanism” as a religion in its landmark decision to prohibit state and federal governments from passing any laws that impose religious requirements on holding public office.

The court finds that Secular Humanism is a religion for Establishment Clause purposes,” Haggerty, a Bill Clinton appointee, concluded on Thursday. “Allowing followers of other faiths to join religious group meetings while denying Holden the same privilege is discrimination on the basis of religion.”

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Atheism is a strange bird. It is the self importance non believers create and substitute for the self importance believers have by believing. This is why we have no word for people who don't believe in the Easter Bunny, (God could I be wrong about that) and why we have so few prancing around and announcing how enlightened they are by not believing in it. There is no satisfaction and self importance to be had for the ego.

And as for the fools who buy into violent religion, how better to pat yourself on the back than to see yourself saving the world from evil as you become it. It's a twofer.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
This is why we have no word for people who don't believe in the Easter Bunny, (God could I be wrong about that) and why we have so few prancing around and announcing how enlightened they are by not believing in it. There is no satisfaction and self importance to be had for the ego.
Or, perhaps the reason so few are doing so, is because there are not billions of humans so profoundly convinced of the Easter Bunny's existence, that they refute science and/or commit atrocities in its name. Or attempt to legislate how others are allowed to live their lives based upon their own, often warped interpretation, of what Peter Cottontail, his followers, or predecessors, allegedly stated.

bradly1101

Diamond Member
May 5, 2013
www.bradlygsmith.org
Atheism is a strange bird. It is the self importance non believers create and substitute for the self importance believers have by believing.

I'm an atheist and believe I am far from self-important aside from sharing my thoughts and voting; not better, not worse, not even special, all that divides. I'm wee. Empathy and humility are where it's at. Maybe I'm wrong, but I believe there are others.

Last edited:
Reactions: AnitaPeterson

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Atheism is a strange bird. It is the self importance non believers create and substitute for the self importance believers have by believing. This is why we have no word for people who don't believe in the Easter Bunny, (God could I be wrong about that) and why we have so few prancing around and announcing how enlightened they are by not believing in it. There is no satisfaction and self importance to be had for the ego.

And as for the fools who buy into violent religion, how better to pat yourself on the back than to see yourself saving the world from evil as you become it. It's a twofer.

If it were so pointless, Theists of all types would not be so alarmed about it.

bradly1101

Diamond Member
May 5, 2013
www.bradlygsmith.org
Although I don't subscribe to Buddhist theism (I don't really believe in reincarnation, a bunch of Gods, etc.), I find the concept intriguing that our true natures lie not in our thoughts but in the spaciousness around them, connecting us all in that "place" we are innocently born from and die into, the peaceful emptiness. Interesting that.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Or, perhaps the reason so few are doing so, is because there are not billions of humans so profoundly convinced of the Easter Bunny's existence, that they refute science and/or commit atrocities in its name. Or attempt to legislate how others are allowed to live their lives based upon their own, often warped interpretation, of what Peter Cottontail, his followers, or predecessors, allegedly stated.
Are you sure it's not trillions of humans so convinced? Billions just seems to understate the problem, don't you think? I mean really, for things to be as bad as they are I should think there trillions of religious fanatics running around killing indiscriminately.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
If it were so pointless, Theists of all types would not be so alarmed about it.
I do not know to whom or to what you refer to as pointless or what you mean by that. I can't think of what I would have implied I thought was pointless, sorry.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Although I don't subscribe to Buddhist theism (I don't really believe in reincarnation, a bunch of Gods, etc.), I find the concept intriguing that our true natures lie not in our thoughts but in the spaciousness around them, connecting us all in that "place" we are innocently born from and die into, the peaceful emptiness. Interesting that.
Yes, well I don't think that's a Buddhist concept although it may be something understood by them. I think the idea there is of a blackboard on which our thoughts are written, on which our concepts of meaning etc are written. Billions of things can be written on such a blackboard but from person to person the blackboard itself is the same and that becomes apparent to anybody who has had all their concepts erased. There is another state of consciousness filled only with the now, the timeless present, a state of being so undivided by thought that the observer and the observed are one and the same thing. Words, of course, are useless to describe it.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
Religion can be anything you want for it to be so you can legally create your own church worshiping anything you so desire as long as you follow the cobbled together interpretation of a church here in America.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I also like that Christians don't steal, kill, commit adultery... Oh wait.

Except in Christianity it's a sin. In Islam it's sanctioned. Care for a good stoning, infidel?

JC, do you post with the intention of maintaining the appearance of a complete buffoon? Because it certainly seems that way, it's like you took all the things you've heard about Islam, mixed them with a bottle of vodka then proceeded to think that you were talking with your like-minded friends about things you hate.

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
JC, do you post with the intention of maintaining the appearance of a complete buffoon? Because it certainly seems that way, it's like you took all the things you've heard about Islam, mixed them with a bottle of vodka then proceeded to think that you were talking with your like-minded friends about things you hate.

Move to Saudi Arabia or Iran, or Mogadishu, or Sudan Or Kenya or Yemen... You get my point...

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Are you sure it's not trillions of humans so convinced? Billions just seems to understate the problem, don't you think? I mean really, for things to be as bad as they are I should think there trillions of religious fanatics running around killing indiscriminately.
That's the beauty and appeal of belief; there are trillions of religious fanatics running around killing indiscriminately, if you want there to be. Once you leave empiricism in the dust bin, the world is yours to order as you see fit.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Move to Saudi Arabia or Iran, or Mogadishu, or Sudan Or Kenya or Yemen... You get my point...

No, I don't. Wait for the alcohol to wear off, then try to construct a coherent point. At the moment you're sounding a tad Trump-ish in hoping that I'm going to fill in the blanks for you.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Except in Christianity it's a sin. In Islam it's sanctioned. Care for a good stoning, infidel?

Sanctioned is a funny word. It can mean, "met with approval" or "met with disapproval and negative subsequent action". How were you intending to use the word here?

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Kenya is predominantly Christian AFAIK, I cant be arsed to look up the rest.
I'm pretty certain that none of them are predominantly atheist though.
I presume that your point is that religion is a dangerous thing when mixed up with ignorance and should not inform governments?