The thing I most hate about Fox News

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
The news needs to be taken out of the hands of for profit corporations and turned over to professional journalists whose primary focus is to report on reality. Commercials must be eliminated from the news. The news should be on day and night and stories analyzed in depth. There should be constant emphasis on how propaganda works, the techniques it uses, and the news itself should be analyzed by people of different points of view. Opinion presented as truth should face relatively immediate challenge. One sided hate radio should be taken off the air.

Dec 27, 2001
Originally posted by: sMiLeYz
Originally posted by: HeroOfPellinor
Originally posted by: sMiLeYz
I honestly couldn't care less about FoxNews at the moment.

If people want to watch the journalistic diarreha that is FoxNews, then so be it. It caters to right wing fascists, and idealogues that don't want the truth but rather a distorted version of it. They know it's not fair and balanced, they know Fox News distorts the truth to the point of using it as propaganda.
You can't even reason with most of those afore mentioned people anyways, quit bitching about it.

BS. You got proof to backup your claim that they "distort" the truth? I think you're on to a breaking story, if you have proof, that CNN would love to pick up, if you have proof.

You're asking me to prove that FoxNews distorts the truth? hahahahhaha... It's not breaking news, it's common knowledge.

Jessica Lynch? All those 'we may have found weapons of mass destruction'? Just listen to some of those talking heads? Hannity, O Rielly,

Weapons of Mass Deception interview

So you also hold TV news responsible, in some way, for the propaganda that surrounded this war?

Stauber: After 9/11, we saw how the Fox network exploited the terror attacks, wrapped itself in the flag and began beating this drumbeat for war. They exploited the fears that people felt and created what an executive from another network called "the Fox effect."

First of all, the war could have never taken place if the media had done its job of questioning the administration rather than becoming an echo chamber and propaganda arm.

But the very specific story is how Fox used this jingoistic, hyperpatriotic, rah-rah, let's-go-to-war coverage to gain a massive market share. Fox actually became the No. 1 source for most people in the United States to get their information about the war.

The reason we subtitled the book "The Uses of Propaganda in Bush's War in Iraq" is because it wasn't just the administration or the right-wing think tanks, it was also opportunists and networks like Fox who exploited 9/11 and launched their own propaganda campaign for their own purpose. The U.S. would go to war because Rupert Murdoch, who owns Fox, is of that ideological persuasion and thought it would be a good idea. And to gain market share. It's really frightening to see how in the 21st century, there's a huge economic benefit for a TV network for exploiting the fears of a nation to promote war.

Rampton: And the United States is not the only place that this has happened. In the last half of the book we talk about the comparison between the way the war was covered in the United States vs. in other parts of the world.

Just as there is the "Fox effect" in the Western world, there's an opposite sort of thing going on in Arab and Muslim countries. The way they compete for market share is by getting to see who can present the most outrage and direct that outrage toward the United States. The ironic thing is that if you watch Arab television, and you can actually get some of it on the Web now, it looks a lot like Fox news! [laughs]

Dude, I already told you, posting an article from a liberal website isn't the same as proof or truth. You're basically saying that FoxNEWS is distorted the truth because you and and some other people think they did. I kinda gathered that much already, but thanks for the link.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Ever notice how FoxNews is the only news org that calls them "HOMICIDE bombers" rather than "suicide bombers?" WTF is up with that?

First of all it's redundant, considering all bombers are trying to commit homicide, but it also neglects to differentiate between a bomber that sets a bomb and activates it remotely vs a bomber that blows himself up in the process. Just plain stupid. But hey, crack open another Coors Light and park the tractor, O'Reilly is on!!

Dec 27, 2001
Originally posted by: DealMonkey
Ever notice how FoxNews is the only news org that calls them "HOMICIDE bombers" rather than "suicide bombers?" WTF is up with that?

First of all it's redundant, considering all bombers are trying to commit homicide, but it also neglects to differentiate between a bomber that sets a bomb and activates it remotely vs a bomber that blows himself up in the process. Just plain stupid. But hey, crack open another Coors Light and park the tractor, O'Reilly is on!!

Suicide bombing denotes some nobility in that they made themselves into a martyr...like those guys who light themselves on fire for a cause. These guys deserve not even the notion of implied nobility. And, no, it's not redundant, since you can bomb something without the intent of killing anybody. These guys are just plain murderers.

But nice try.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000

Suicide bombing denotes some nobility in that they made themselves into a martyr...like those guys who light themselves on fire for a cause. These guys deserve not even the notion of implied nobility. And, no, it's not redundant, since you can bomb something without the intent of killing anybody. These guys are just plain murderers.

But nice try.

As they say in PA Dutchland, you have your mix all talked up.

Suicide does not connote nobility an any sense. The word you are looking for is sacrifice. Soldiers who die in combat to save others commit self sacrifice, not suicide, if you keep all in context. When they call them self-sacrifice bombers, then I have a problem.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001

But nice try.

Hmmm, I guess only a conservative with his head in a hole would appreciate that kinda logic. Whatever works.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001

But nice try.
What is so nobel about Suicide, especially when it takes out others? When I hear of Homicide Bombers I think of Bombs remotely set with the trigger man in a safe place. Good old Faux News being not only Fair and Balanced but Concise and Accurate..NOT!

Lucky

Lifer
Nov 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
Fox news isn't news it's propaganda at a very high level. For example they got a day time show with a audience of right winged nuts and on every important lie they try to put over they ask for a vote by hands. Most of the audience agrees leaving the unconscious impression, if you're not awake, that the lie is a consensus. What a tremendous farce that the news is entertainment. The people need to take back the airways and tax support an independent public television. We really don't need a brain dead nation.

unfortunately cnn does the same thing, and did it first. counterbalancing is needed.

Lucky

Lifer
Nov 26, 2000
Originally posted by: JoeBaD
I haven't visited this board in many months and, ya know, it just doesn't change. Its like a soap opera.

Right wing fascists!!! LOL!

Anyone with half a logical neuron between their ears is labeled a goose-stepping NAZI.

Moony, lucky, smiley etal - get a life.

see ya next month :)

I hadn't even posted in this thead and this nitwit attacks me - and puts me in the liberals camp no less! (HAH!) What a goon.

308nato

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2002

All of us tractor driving rednecks bow to your superior urban intellect.

rolleye.gif

PatboyX

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2001
fox is really very sensationalistic. i dont even bother, its a pointless station to watch. the only thing it does is get me angry becuase fox is full of personalities so sure they are "right" and everyone else is "wrong.
i just read AP articles and watch/listen to cspan stuff and then go and watch how fox news covers those same events. very interesting difference in the fox "reporting" style.

308nato

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2002
Originally posted by: 308nato
All of us tractor driving rednecks bow to your superior urban intellect.

rolleye.gif

No problemo there, Skeeter. I guess if the shoe fits... ;)

I don't wear shoes.......

Dec 27, 2001
Originally posted by: Red Dawn

But nice try.
What is so nobel about Suicide, especially when it takes out others? When I hear of Homicide Bombers I think of Bombs remotely set with the trigger man in a safe place. Good old Faux News being not only Fair and Balanced but Concise and Accurate..NOT!

When I hear suicide bomber I think of a guy blowing himself up all alone in the desert. But these guys aren't committing suicide, they're killing other people.

What's so noble about suicide? Ask those guys who light themselves on fire. Ask Romeo and Juliet. There's plenty of implied nobility to be found in examples of suicide. They die and become martyrs instead of rotting, undramatically in a prison because rotting away in prison their whole lives is far less dramatic and noble than becoming a martyr for a cause and because suicide is a sign that they won't be subjeted to the authority of the victim's state. These men blowing up women and children do not deserve to have the last mention of their existence linked to a word which could even be construed as noble or empowering.

But, yes, picking on FoxNEWS over semantics is overly petty and desparate.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
When I hear suicide bomber I think of a guy blowing himself up all alone in the desert. But these guys aren't committing suicide, they're killing other people.

What's so noble about suicide? Ask those guys who light themselves on fire. Ask Romeo and Juliet. There's plenty of implied nobility to be found in examples of suicide. They die and become martyrs instead of rotting, undramatically in a prison because rotting away in prison their whole lives is far less dramatic and noble than becoming a martyr for a cause and because suicide is a sign that they won't be subjeted to the authority of the victim's state. These men blowing up women and children do not deserve to have the last mention of their existence linked to a word which could even be construed as noble or empowering.

Not really, as it's endemic of what's wrong with FoxNews. The tip of the iceberg, so to speak. If this is such an "accurate" way of portraying suicide bombers, why is Fox the only one doing it?

Dec 27, 2001

Not really, as it's endemic of what's wrong with FoxNews. The tip of the iceberg, so to speak. If this is such an "accurate" way of portraying suicide bombers, why is Fox the only one doing it?

Saddam not delcaring the Al Samouds was endemic of his deception.

308nato

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2002

The term "homicide bomber" was coined in the spring of last year. I believe the Israeli press began using it first. Google the term and see if Fox is the only one using it.

I believe you will find groups with a pro-israeli stance using it (and some "neutral")......and then you will find the Hamas lovers poking fun at those who use it.

Gaard

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
Has anyone ever wondered why the pro-war crowd considers FOX News to be fair and balanced while the anti-war crowd doesn't?

HoP - I tried to call up Romeo and Juliet to ask them about the nobility of suicide. Imagine my surprise when I discovered that they were fictional characters.

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
Another 500 posts and you guys will have destroyed not only the substance but the definitional nuances of "suicide", "bomber", and "homicidal". Give it a rest..... :)
-Robert

JackStorm

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2003
Saying FOX News is pro or Anti-Bush/war or conservitive/liberal is pointless. It's a tabloid plain and simple. Calling FOX News "news" is a joke. Both "sides" really need to look past this pro/anti-Bush/war/whatever things and see it for what it is, regardless of their political opinions.

Dec 27, 2001
Originally posted by: JackStorm
Saying FOX News is pro or Anti-Bush/war or conservitive/liberal is pointless. It's a tabloid plain and simple. Calling FOX News "news" is a joke. Both "sides" really need to look past this pro/anti-Bush/war/whatever things and see it for what it is, regardless of their political opinions.

Thanks for the insight Mr. 29 posts.

P.S.

Saying FOX News is a tabloid is pointless. It's a more balanced slightly conservative news channel plain and simple. Calling FOX News "a tabloid" is a joke. Both "sides" really need to look past this pro/anti-Bush/war/whatever things and see it for what it is, regardless of their political opinions.

JackStorm

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2003

Ok, what the hell does me having 29 posts have to do with anything? is someones opinion any more or less valid if he has 29 posts? get off your high horse. Oh, and thanks for re-writing my post in your own uniqe way.

Dec 27, 2001

Ok, what the hell does me having 29 posts have to do with anything?

Absolutly nothing. I was simplyusing your post count as an identifier. Feel free to call me Mr 1239 posts.

is someones opinion any more or less valid if he has 29 posts?

Absolutly not. Why are you so defensive?

get off your high horse.

No, I like it up here.

Oh, and thanks for re-writing my post in your own uniqe way.

Your welcome...I trust you got the point?

sMiLeYz

Platinum Member
Feb 3, 2003

P.S.

Saying FOX News is a tabloid is pointless. It's a more balanced slightly conservative news channel plain and simple. Calling FOX News "a tabloid" is a joke. Both "sides" really need to look past this pro/anti-Bush/war/whatever things and see it for what it is, regardless of their political opinions.

You lack the grasp of the obvious. Both of us agree that FoxNews is "slanted" to what degree, we may differ in opinion of. If it's slanted then how is it not a "distortion of the truth"? Think about it.

And no we're not talking about how it balances the "liberal" media CNN, BBC, theres no such and that's besides the point.

But anyway, like I said earlier. It's pointless reasoning with people that like being lied to, so i'll stop now. ;)